Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinen844
Stranger
Plastic containers in a pressure cooker?
    #7944772 - 01/28/08 11:02 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Can I use plastic 250ml containers in a pressure cooker? Will they melt? how long do i cook them for? Thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleshroober
Myco Junkie

Re: Plastic containers in a pressure cooker? [Re: n844]
    #7944791 - 01/28/08 11:08 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

250ml only tells us how big the container is, it doesnt describe it's thickness, most plastics will melt in a PC but it all depends on what you have

Invisibleflavoraid
now with twicethe ketamine andopiates!
Male
Re: Plastic containers in a pressure cooker? [Re: shroober]
    #7944810 - 01/28/08 11:13 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

if it's recycled plastic or whatever it would have a number from 1-7 (7 is the highest as far as i know) and the higher the number the better chance of surviving pressure cooking...

my understanding is 5+ survives pressure cooking.

--------------------
coda said:
imachavel, Man you really need to do some reading, the amount of bullshit you put into almost every single one of your posts is absolutely astounding.

Invisiblesmokedout420
The EnlightenedOne
Male User Gallery

Re: Plastic containers in a pressure cooker? [Re: flavoraid]
    #7944922 - 01/28/08 11:39 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

pp5 containers

Invisibleflavoraid
Male
Re: Plastic containers in a pressure cooker? [Re: smokedout420]
    #7945108 - 01/28/08 12:24 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

also with many of those gasseted containers you need to pressure cook with the lid only partially on the you close it for the last 15 minutes or something. seems a bit gay to me, I'd just use autocavable bags or something.

(don't try using tupperware or ziplock)

--------------------
coda said:
imachavel, Man you really need to do some reading, the amount of bullshit you put into almost every single one of your posts is absolutely astounding.

Offliner311ik
n00b
Male

Loc: Mi
Re: Plastic containers in a pressure cooker? [Re: flavoraid]
    #7945187 - 01/28/08 12:41 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

what about just microwaving?

Invisibleshroober
Myco Junkie

Re: Plastic containers in a pressure cooker? [Re: r311ik]
    #7945196 - 01/28/08 12:43 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

if you're trying to properly sterilize something the microwave isnt going to help at all

Offliner311ik
n00b
Male

Loc: Mi
    #7945223 - 01/28/08 12:54 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

shroober said:
if you're trying to properly sterilize something the microwave isnt going to help at all

explain why

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
    #7945232 - 01/28/08 12:58 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

shroober said:

SWIM frequently uses microwave sterilization for small quantities of casing material used for patching. You sir are wrong. Microwave can be used to sterilize some stuff.

Now don't go try sterilizing grains in the micro because it wont work.

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

Invisiblelegallyhomeless
mooch
 User Gallery

Loc: EZRA for the Refuge
Re: Plastic containers in a pressure cooker? [Re: derx]
    #7945334 - 01/28/08 01:20 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

derx said:
Quote:

shroober said:

SWIM frequently uses microwave sterilization for small quantities of casing material used for patching. You sir are wrong. Microwave can be used to sterilize some stuff.

Actually you can

--------------------
MY TRADE LIST!!!

FULLY AUTOMATIC!! 12-Pot Multi Grow Hydroponic System for Trade.

Download PSX ISOs

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
    #7945365 - 01/28/08 01:26 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

btw if anyone is interested my sister did some research and found plastics with the recycle #s 1, 2 and 5 do not leach. I'd never use a microwave anyway but I would assume that you'd get some plastic in your substrate anyway with it.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

Invisiblejoshua m
Not a NoOb
Male

Loc: MiD wEsT
Re: Plastic containers in a pressure cooker? [Re: ScavengerType]
    #7945375 - 01/28/08 01:29 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Get a PC

--------------------
We can't stop here...This is bat country!!!

Fear and Loathing is the greatest movie ever!!!

Invisibleshroober
Myco Junkie

#7945407 - 01/28/08 01:42 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

derx said:
Quote:

shroober said:

Sorry, I should have been more specific. Let me rephrase, the microwave is not ideal for sterilization. Yes, you can use it to zap a little bit of casing material, but if we are talking about properly sterilizing substrates in my opinion a microwave is not sufficient, I'm sure others would disagree.

OfflineP.Menace
Contradicting the Status Quo
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Let Me See Potato Salad!!...
Trusted Cultivator
    #7945502 - 01/28/08 02:03 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Now anybody who says sterilizing can't be done in the microwave is wrong! I believe you cant use it for bulk substrate but you can use it for everything else,I personally use the microwave to sterilize plenty of small items including METAL needles and Inoculation loops. I also Tattoo and Use the microwave to Sterilize most of the off hand items that wont survive the PC. Yes I own a PC too.
Also IME plastic pop bottles will survive the PC but... a 24oz bottle becomes a 12oz plastic bottle after being PC'd for 90 minutes. These Bottles Were Exactally the same size at one point in time
I did this because I had the same Question and needed a bottle for LC

--------------------

http://www.sporeworksgallery.com/Cubensae/Psilocybe_cubensis_Menace

roby000 said: thats true a shotgun is almost like a college degree in a sense that if you show it to the right person at the right time you could make a lot of money.

Edited by P.Menace (01/28/08 02:05 PM)

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
Re: Plastic containers in a pressure cooker? [Re: P.Menace]
    #7946861 - 01/28/08 06:57 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

for sterilizing the plastic component of the syringes what is the recommended amount of time you'd say. My microwave is about a decade old or even a little older but isn't gone weak or anything.

Also I don't like the idea of sterilizing in the microwave is there another way without PC or boiling?

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

Offlineaddy
Poke Smot

Re: Plastic containers in a pressure cooker? [Re: ScavengerType]
    #7946890 - 01/28/08 07:02 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I just PC'd some gerber baby bottles for some LCs and they turned out fine. :smirk:

Invisibleflavoraid
Male
Re: Plastic containers in a pressure cooker? [Re: addy]
    #7947522 - 01/28/08 08:29 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

for dry materails like perlite, verm, dissicant salts you can bake them to sterilize.

I don't know how baking casing material would work in jars I'm sure the jars wouldn't explode or anything- I'd totally try it though ovens are huge and the heat is fairly even so it could serve as a huge pressure cooker.

However I wouldn't use it for PF tek or moisture sensitive projects - which is like everything....

--------------------
coda said:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale