Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleAlien
Galactic Shaman
 User Gallery

Loc: Jupiter's Moon
Post deleted by Administrator * 1
    #794421 - 08/19/02 01:49 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
-Alien :cool:

Edited by Alien (08/04/02 03:52 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTM
The Mind, The Many, The Music.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Under The Table And Dream...
Re: A Challenge For The Cultivation Forum [Re: Alien] * 1
    #794433 - 08/03/02 01:14 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, I've got a good replacement... NONE!

Use rye berries and horse shizznit. LOL!!

--------------------
================================================

"Have some congratulatory drugs." - C. Montgomery Burns

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

TM™ :cool:

InvisibleAlien
Galactic Shaman
 User Gallery

Post deleted by Administrator [Re: TM] * 1
    #794434 - 08/03/02 01:18 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------

Edited by Alien (08/04/02 03:46 AM)

OfflineBleedingSickness
Friend OfAttention Whore
Loc: Northern USA
    #794444 - 08/03/02 01:27 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

well if you need vermiculite why not ask or something I'll sell you some or even trade you some for something yes I know this belongs in the trade forum but it was just a suggestion to this guy here

you see vermiculite is easily sterilized it can absorb I so much of it's weight in water it has many positive qualities and has been used for so long that we know it's steady man but I was looking into this other stuff the other day though it's made by the same people that typically make vermiculite and perlite have any of you seen the bag with a cactus on it that's supposed to be made to hold so much water and release it in a certain way I didn't quite get to look into it alot nor am I sure if it could even be used but that might be somethign to look into but really if you can't find vermiculite I think you are either being lazy or you live in the middle of no-where where only one store exists or perhaps your looking the wrong time of the year typically ace-hardware has it, home-depot any self respecting gardening store has it typically and if they don't if you ask they will order it for you unless your paranoid but I'm sure you it's as easy as that man;) I've been looking for someone with some good spore prints or something I could trade you a couple bags for some of those if you got em really I'm open so really anything man they sell it all over here and i'm in the middle of no-where

I think there are people who use other stuff though so I have no doubt that something could appear here but there are higher chances of contams and such or other side effects I would think

Edited by BleedingSickness (08/03/02 01:30 PM)

Offlinemile69
wonderer/wanderer ૐ
 User Gallery

Loc: other side of the world
    #794452 - 08/03/02 01:32 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

this is probably a dumb idea, but this is a community. why dont we set up a vermiculite ring? you know where the people who need it pay for the shipping (as well as the product) , and the other community members who can get it help the other ones out? i know this comes across as nieve, but i would be willing to help some people out. BUT before i get bombarded with requestes...lets try to get some order to this idea. i am on the east coast and wouldnt be able to guarantee arrival dates etc. so lets see what we can do:)

Edited by mile69 (08/03/02 01:32 PM)

OfflineLaCasta
Beyond Good andEvil

Loc: Chicago
Re: A Challenge For The Cultivation Forum [Re: BleedingSickness] * 1
    #794454 - 08/03/02 01:32 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

In reply to:

well if you need vermiculite why not ask or something

Because he is trying to find new experimental ways to replace vermiculite. I think it is a good idea.

--------------------

"Memories of high speeds when the cops crash, As I laugh pushin the gas while my glocks blast" -RIP Tupac

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: LaCasta] * 1
    #794513 - 08/03/02 02:27 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

InvisibleUFOz8MyGoat
The Governator Sayz Go Chagaz
Male

Loc: USA
    #794577 - 08/03/02 03:04 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

someone scan the ingrediants on the back of the package... sounds dumb but there are ways to make anything a different way

Edited by ShroomlessInOkla (08/03/02 03:07 PM)

Offlineindianfarmer
man with cane

Loc: Lost in the dark,Missouri
Re: A Challenge For The Cultivation Forum [Re: UFOz8MyGoat] * 1
    #794613 - 08/03/02 03:59 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Lowes home improvement store still carries vermiculate. Many places such as walmart stopped carrying it because supposedly its a environmental hazard because deposits of asbestos keep on turning up in vermiculate which can cause lung scarring and cancer from inhalation. Some people use perlite instead of vermiculate although I'm not sure if I heard of perlite contam barriers ever.

InvisibleEffedS
 User Gallery

Loc: Daylight Slavings
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Alien] * 1
    #794633 - 08/03/02 04:12 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Edited by Effed (08/03/02 04:14 PM)

OfflineBleedingSickness
Friend OfAttention Whore
Re: A Challenge For The Cultivation Forum [Re: indianfarmer] * 1
    #794638 - 08/03/02 04:15 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

perlite is also harmful if breathed in just as vermiculite is I can't remember what it does I guess it leads to cancer or something but that's from prolonged exposure I'm sure there is an alternative to vermiculite out there the problem being getting water absorbtion and air flow all in one thing because you will either get one thing that will absorb extremely well but it doesn't provide air flow or something that will provide air flow and won't absorb water well so basically my suggestion would be not to find one thing but two instead one thing to absorb water and the other to provide air flow and you'd just mix them together all into one so they could do their jobs equally thus that could increase cost a little though another thing it has to be something that can be sterilized either by steaming or microwaving some sort of sterile method. I can't really think of anything that would provide all that in one during this time;) but someone else surely could.

Offlinebluhoney
Yes Im a realgirl ,geeesh
Female User Gallery

#794649 - 08/03/02 04:28 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

If you tame down peatmoss with hydrated lime, it works well. You can also use chopped wheatstraw,but make sure its at least 1/2 inch thick and very moist. bluhoney.

--------------------
Information listed here is for entertainment only and is neither real or proven

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #794684 - 08/03/02 04:56 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Offlineindianfarmer
man with cane

Loc: Lost in the dark,Missouri
    #794720 - 08/03/02 05:24 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I wasn't trying to say perlite wasn't harmful or that it causes less health problems than vermiculate I was just trying to explain the reason why many stores no longer carry vermiculate. Perlite also can cause cancer, etc. but to my knowledge they have never found deposits of asbestos in it. I was only saying perlite can be substituted. I had read this at vendors websites and have a friend who uses perlite as a substitute.

Another thing you can do is use whole grain long grain brown rice. Its fluffy holds more water than regular substrate (in my opinion) and contains more nutriention than the brf substrate. A brf/verm substrate recipe I used was 1/8 cup rice 1/8 cup water and 1/4 cup vermiculate. I believe this filled one jar maybe two I doubt it and cooked rice (if cooked correctly) is roughly 1 part rice two parts water which is a greater proportion of water than 1/4 cup rice flour/verm 1/4 cup water.
Thats just my opinion from experience and i'm sure others disagree. But cooked whole long grain brown rice can be substituted from the traditional recipe if desired and I've heard of some kind of poly floss or sponge stuff described at simple minds paradise that can be used instead of the vermiculate barrier.

OfflineBleedingSickness
Friend OfAttention Whore
Re: A Challenge For The Cultivation Forum [Re: indianfarmer] * 1
    #794727 - 08/03/02 05:30 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

haha i wasn't saying that you were saying that perlite wasn't harmful miscommunication is just my thing tonight I guess hehehe, first the girls then the shoomery members hehe it's just my day isn't it lol no offense intended in anyway to anyone, ummm yeah i've also heard of using rice maybe there is a method that could be created using totally organic material perhaps coursely ground sponge that had been steamed ground course because the pieces would remain large enough to absorb water hmmm I suppose if we truly researched hard enough something could be figured out

Offlinefunwithgus
Loc: Philadelphia area
Re: A Challenge For The Cultivation Forum [Re: Effed] * 1
    #794759 - 08/03/02 06:04 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

You might be right Effed. We had these flowers the other week that came in this green stryrofoam stuff. It privided water, air, and support which is what vermiculite does. I'm not sure how hot you can heat that stuff without it melting so sterilization might be a problem, but it's probably worth a try.

--------------------
Say, can I have some of your purple berries?
Yes, I've been eating them, for six or seven weeks now, haven't got sick once.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #794865 - 08/03/02 08:09 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Has anybody tried running corn cob bedding through a coffee grinder?

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #795027 - 08/04/02 02:20 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

In reply to:

you see vermiculite is easily sterilized it can absorb I so much of it's weight in water it has many positive qualities and has been used for so long that we know it's steady man but I was looking into this other stuff the other day though it's made by the same people that typically make vermiculite and perlite have any of you seen the bag with a cactus on it that's supposed to be made to hold so much water and release it in a certain way I didn't quite get to look into it alot nor am I sure if it could even be used but that might be somethign to look into but really if you can't find vermiculite I think you are either being lazy or you live in the middle of no-where where only one store exists or perhaps your looking the wrong time of the year typically ace-hardware has it, home-depot any self respecting gardening store has it typically and if they don't if you ask they will order it for you unless your paranoid but I'm sure you it's as easy as that man;) I've been looking for someone with some good spore prints or something I could trade you a couple bags for some of those if you got em really I'm open so really anything man they sell it all over here and i'm in the middle of no-where

Come up for air once in awhile.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleAlien
Galactic Shaman
 User Gallery

Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Alien] * 1
    #795079 - 08/04/02 03:44 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------

Edited by Alien (08/04/02 03:49 AM)

OfflinesirJ
enlightened darkmatter

Loc: middle of nowhere
    #795133 - 08/04/02 04:56 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

In reply to:

Has anybody tried running corn cob bedding through a coffee grinder?

damn.. i was going to say that..
or just a blender perhaps? wouldn't the coffee grinder make it too fine?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules