Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Boomr Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleAlien
Galactic Shaman
 User Gallery

Loc: Jupiter's Moon
Post deleted by Administrator * 1
    #794421 - 08/19/02 01:49 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
-Alien :cool:

Edited by Alien (08/04/02 03:52 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTM
The Mind, The Many, The Music.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Under The Table And Dream...
Re: A Challenge For The Cultivation Forum [Re: Alien] * 1
    #794433 - 08/03/02 01:14 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, I've got a good replacement... NONE!

Use rye berries and horse shizznit. LOL!!

--------------------
================================================

"Have some congratulatory drugs." - C. Montgomery Burns

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

TM™ :cool:

InvisibleAlien
Galactic Shaman
 User Gallery

Post deleted by Administrator [Re: TM] * 1
    #794434 - 08/03/02 01:18 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------

Edited by Alien (08/04/02 03:46 AM)

OfflineBleedingSickness
Friend OfAttention Whore
Loc: Northern USA
    #794444 - 08/03/02 01:27 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

well if you need vermiculite why not ask or something I'll sell you some or even trade you some for something yes I know this belongs in the trade forum but it was just a suggestion to this guy here

you see vermiculite is easily sterilized it can absorb I so much of it's weight in water it has many positive qualities and has been used for so long that we know it's steady man but I was looking into this other stuff the other day though it's made by the same people that typically make vermiculite and perlite have any of you seen the bag with a cactus on it that's supposed to be made to hold so much water and release it in a certain way I didn't quite get to look into it alot nor am I sure if it could even be used but that might be somethign to look into but really if you can't find vermiculite I think you are either being lazy or you live in the middle of no-where where only one store exists or perhaps your looking the wrong time of the year typically ace-hardware has it, home-depot any self respecting gardening store has it typically and if they don't if you ask they will order it for you unless your paranoid but I'm sure you it's as easy as that man;) I've been looking for someone with some good spore prints or something I could trade you a couple bags for some of those if you got em really I'm open so really anything man they sell it all over here and i'm in the middle of no-where

I think there are people who use other stuff though so I have no doubt that something could appear here but there are higher chances of contams and such or other side effects I would think

Edited by BleedingSickness (08/03/02 01:30 PM)

Offlinemile69
wonderer/wanderer ૐ
 User Gallery

Loc: other side of the world
    #794452 - 08/03/02 01:32 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

this is probably a dumb idea, but this is a community. why dont we set up a vermiculite ring? you know where the people who need it pay for the shipping (as well as the product) , and the other community members who can get it help the other ones out? i know this comes across as nieve, but i would be willing to help some people out. BUT before i get bombarded with requestes...lets try to get some order to this idea. i am on the east coast and wouldnt be able to guarantee arrival dates etc. so lets see what we can do:)

Edited by mile69 (08/03/02 01:32 PM)

OfflineLaCasta
Beyond Good andEvil

Loc: Chicago
Re: A Challenge For The Cultivation Forum [Re: BleedingSickness] * 1
    #794454 - 08/03/02 01:32 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

In reply to:

well if you need vermiculite why not ask or something

Because he is trying to find new experimental ways to replace vermiculite. I think it is a good idea.

--------------------

"Memories of high speeds when the cops crash, As I laugh pushin the gas while my glocks blast" -RIP Tupac

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: LaCasta] * 1
    #794513 - 08/03/02 02:27 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

InvisibleUFOz8MyGoat
The Governator Sayz Go Chagaz
Male

Loc: USA
    #794577 - 08/03/02 03:04 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

someone scan the ingrediants on the back of the package... sounds dumb but there are ways to make anything a different way

Edited by ShroomlessInOkla (08/03/02 03:07 PM)

Offlineindianfarmer
man with cane

Loc: Lost in the dark,Missouri
Re: A Challenge For The Cultivation Forum [Re: UFOz8MyGoat] * 1
    #794613 - 08/03/02 03:59 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Lowes home improvement store still carries vermiculate. Many places such as walmart stopped carrying it because supposedly its a environmental hazard because deposits of asbestos keep on turning up in vermiculate which can cause lung scarring and cancer from inhalation. Some people use perlite instead of vermiculate although I'm not sure if I heard of perlite contam barriers ever.

InvisibleEffedS
 User Gallery

Loc: Daylight Slavings
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Alien] * 1
    #794633 - 08/03/02 04:12 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Edited by Effed (08/03/02 04:14 PM)

OfflineBleedingSickness
Friend OfAttention Whore
Re: A Challenge For The Cultivation Forum [Re: indianfarmer] * 1
    #794638 - 08/03/02 04:15 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

perlite is also harmful if breathed in just as vermiculite is I can't remember what it does I guess it leads to cancer or something but that's from prolonged exposure I'm sure there is an alternative to vermiculite out there the problem being getting water absorbtion and air flow all in one thing because you will either get one thing that will absorb extremely well but it doesn't provide air flow or something that will provide air flow and won't absorb water well so basically my suggestion would be not to find one thing but two instead one thing to absorb water and the other to provide air flow and you'd just mix them together all into one so they could do their jobs equally thus that could increase cost a little though another thing it has to be something that can be sterilized either by steaming or microwaving some sort of sterile method. I can't really think of anything that would provide all that in one during this time;) but someone else surely could.

Offlinebluhoney
Yes Im a realgirl ,geeesh
Female User Gallery

#794649 - 08/03/02 04:28 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

If you tame down peatmoss with hydrated lime, it works well. You can also use chopped wheatstraw,but make sure its at least 1/2 inch thick and very moist. bluhoney.

--------------------
Information listed here is for entertainment only and is neither real or proven

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #794684 - 08/03/02 04:56 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Offlineindianfarmer
man with cane

Loc: Lost in the dark,Missouri
    #794720 - 08/03/02 05:24 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I wasn't trying to say perlite wasn't harmful or that it causes less health problems than vermiculate I was just trying to explain the reason why many stores no longer carry vermiculate. Perlite also can cause cancer, etc. but to my knowledge they have never found deposits of asbestos in it. I was only saying perlite can be substituted. I had read this at vendors websites and have a friend who uses perlite as a substitute.

Another thing you can do is use whole grain long grain brown rice. Its fluffy holds more water than regular substrate (in my opinion) and contains more nutriention than the brf substrate. A brf/verm substrate recipe I used was 1/8 cup rice 1/8 cup water and 1/4 cup vermiculate. I believe this filled one jar maybe two I doubt it and cooked rice (if cooked correctly) is roughly 1 part rice two parts water which is a greater proportion of water than 1/4 cup rice flour/verm 1/4 cup water.
Thats just my opinion from experience and i'm sure others disagree. But cooked whole long grain brown rice can be substituted from the traditional recipe if desired and I've heard of some kind of poly floss or sponge stuff described at simple minds paradise that can be used instead of the vermiculate barrier.

OfflineBleedingSickness
Friend OfAttention Whore
Re: A Challenge For The Cultivation Forum [Re: indianfarmer] * 1
    #794727 - 08/03/02 05:30 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

haha i wasn't saying that you were saying that perlite wasn't harmful miscommunication is just my thing tonight I guess hehehe, first the girls then the shoomery members hehe it's just my day isn't it lol no offense intended in anyway to anyone, ummm yeah i've also heard of using rice maybe there is a method that could be created using totally organic material perhaps coursely ground sponge that had been steamed ground course because the pieces would remain large enough to absorb water hmmm I suppose if we truly researched hard enough something could be figured out

Offlinefunwithgus
Loc: Philadelphia area
Re: A Challenge For The Cultivation Forum [Re: Effed] * 1
    #794759 - 08/03/02 06:04 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

You might be right Effed. We had these flowers the other week that came in this green stryrofoam stuff. It privided water, air, and support which is what vermiculite does. I'm not sure how hot you can heat that stuff without it melting so sterilization might be a problem, but it's probably worth a try.

--------------------
Say, can I have some of your purple berries?
Yes, I've been eating them, for six or seven weeks now, haven't got sick once.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #794865 - 08/03/02 08:09 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Has anybody tried running corn cob bedding through a coffee grinder?

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #795027 - 08/04/02 02:20 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

In reply to:

you see vermiculite is easily sterilized it can absorb I so much of it's weight in water it has many positive qualities and has been used for so long that we know it's steady man but I was looking into this other stuff the other day though it's made by the same people that typically make vermiculite and perlite have any of you seen the bag with a cactus on it that's supposed to be made to hold so much water and release it in a certain way I didn't quite get to look into it alot nor am I sure if it could even be used but that might be somethign to look into but really if you can't find vermiculite I think you are either being lazy or you live in the middle of no-where where only one store exists or perhaps your looking the wrong time of the year typically ace-hardware has it, home-depot any self respecting gardening store has it typically and if they don't if you ask they will order it for you unless your paranoid but I'm sure you it's as easy as that man;) I've been looking for someone with some good spore prints or something I could trade you a couple bags for some of those if you got em really I'm open so really anything man they sell it all over here and i'm in the middle of no-where

Come up for air once in awhile.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleAlien
Galactic Shaman
 User Gallery

Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Alien] * 1
    #795079 - 08/04/02 03:44 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------

Edited by Alien (08/04/02 03:49 AM)

OfflinesirJ
enlightened darkmatter

Loc: middle of nowhere
    #795133 - 08/04/02 04:56 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

In reply to:

Has anybody tried running corn cob bedding through a coffee grinder?

damn.. i was going to say that..
or just a blender perhaps? wouldn't the coffee grinder make it too fine?

Offlinerheidiohed121
Simeon

Re: A Challenge For The Cultivation Forum [Re: sirJ] * 1
    #795154 - 08/04/02 05:15 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I remember Puscle (remember that guy?) used to say something about using crushed styrofoam peanuts. I do believe he used it for a replacement for perlite but that is also similar isn't it?
I always see vermiculite at the grocery store (i.e. shop rite, stop and shop) in the gardening section. I never see them without verm. Try and look at your local stores they might in fact have it.

--------------------
i apologize if i aide in the spreading of any misinformation

"Adventavit asinus,
Pulcher et fortissimus"

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #795253 - 08/04/02 06:39 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Deleted by admin

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #795255 - 08/04/02 06:40 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Probably. Sounds good anyway.

Blenderized straw might work, or maybe balsa wood.

Natural sponge, blenderized cigarette filters, dried leaves, tampons, cork, crushed gourd, goose down, cardboard...

--------------------

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisibleAlien
Galactic Shaman
 User Gallery

Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Baby_Hitler] * 1
    #795350 - 08/04/02 07:40 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #795418 - 08/04/02 08:40 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Blotter paper! heheh

--------------------

Offlinetwisted

Loc: croatia
    #795550 - 08/04/02 10:18 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

why make cakes,they are small and low yielding, rye is cheap and easy to work with and for casing use potting soil that is eaven cheaper
and there is no place in the world where you cant find these items

--------------------
Jesus! Did I say that?Or just think it? Was i talking ? Did they hear me?

http://www.fsre.org/

OfflinesirJ
enlightened darkmatter

Loc: middle of nowhere
Re: A Challenge For The Cultivation Forum [Re: twisted] * 1
    #795590 - 08/04/02 10:35 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

i don't think rye is available EVERYWHERE

i came from a small town with no health food store or nuffin..
i doubt there was any rye around

Invisibleutopianglory
Spunkmuffin
    #795849 - 08/04/02 01:14 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Well.. here is a suggestion (perhaps prohibitive due to cost - i don't know)

Use psyllium husk.

Ever put water in psyllium husk? that stuff holds a lot of water, and expands to a very large size. So maybe a kilo of psyllium husk might actually be equivalent cost wise in pricing when you take into account the fact it will expand. It obviously has a nutritious benefit of providing a huge source of pure fibre to the mycellium. Perhaps use perlite as a seal instead of dry vermiculite and there you go ! thats probably worth an experiment.

Edited by utopianglory (08/04/02 01:15 PM)

OfflineMillencolin
journeyman
Re: A Challenge For The Cultivation Forum [Re: Baby_Hitler] * 1
    #796167 - 08/04/02 03:51 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I'm liking what Bhitler is sayin', I've been thinking about experimenting with some chopped and soaked balsa for a little while now, though question comparative costs. Rockwool might be an idea, though I'm currently in search of a plastic substitue. Something light and reasonably porous. Hopefully it exists, plus most plastics are available in pelletized form for injection molding.

--------------------
I saw you today on the number twelve bus,
you were going my way

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #800184 - 08/06/02 01:23 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Peanut shells...

--------------------

OfflineMacey Howard
Formally MOE HOWARD
Female

Loc: Georgia
Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: Alien] * 1
    #800191 - 08/06/02 01:28 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
Hugs and Kisses!

Invisibleutopianglory
Spunkmuffin
Re: A Challenge For The Cultivation Forum [Re: Macey Howard] * 1
    #800247 - 08/06/02 01:59 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

In some ways Alien I think this would be better suited in the advanced cult. forum. You might get a few more constructive ideas.

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #800248 - 08/06/02 01:59 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Dude your going to think this is fucken nuts but if you want to replace the verm, us growers of other substances have been using rockwool because of the air to water raito. It is much better than verm for holding both. For cakes you could shred it, or buy it ground up already.
Ok people flame me up for this idea.

"To hell with Opportunity, I create Opportunity"--- Bruce Lee

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinedankman69
dankman69
    #809678 - 08/10/02 06:40 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I have been growing for a few years and have never used vermiculite, what i do is mix a little sand with cow poo and oyster shells bang you have aration due to the sand water obsorbsion with the cow manuer and the oyster shells will buffer your soil. Go to any sea food diner and you can find shit loads of shells in the trash, dumpster diving sucks but it is for a good cause....

Offlinevatoloco
Puppet Hunter -DBK
Post deleted by MOE THE MAD SCIENTIST [Re: Alien] * 1
    #810303 - 08/11/02 06:28 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

InvisibleUFOz8MyGoat
The Governator Sayz Go Chagaz
Male

Loc: USA
    #828056 - 08/19/02 11:06 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

you have to go to a place that sells plants n shit a green house place... the place right own the street here has mid size bags for 5 bux and a huge ass bag for 10-12 ...If you go to www.dogpile.com and search for it you will find it cheap like 3 bux

Edited by ShroomlessInOkla (08/19/02 11:11 AM)

Offlinevatoloco
Puppet Hunter -DBK
Post deleted by MOE THE MAD SCIENTIST [Re: UFOz8MyGoat] * 1
    #828352 - 08/19/02 01:49 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Offlinewalt
?
Re: A Challenge For The Cultivation Forum [Re: vatoloco] * 1
    #829383 - 08/20/02 01:20 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

i think you guys are making this out to be a little harder than it should be.
i've got some orissas colonizing half coco/ half peat with a dash of lime to replace verm. i also did a jar with scotts compost cut with peat instead of verm.
all are moving faster than the standard recp.

indias are slow and i will try this some more with other strains , but just try anything. it'll probably work.

edit: i used coco/peat as replacement for vem in substrate. for the dry verm layer i used peat.

Edited by walt (08/20/02 09:24 AM)

Offlinevatoloco
Puppet Hunter -DBK
Post deleted by MOE THE MAD SCIENTIST [Re: walt] * 1
    #829546 - 08/20/02 05:06 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Offlinerheidiohed121
Simeon

#829813 - 08/20/02 07:17 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

sawdust, kitty litter? ...it might work.
Anyway, a friend of mine just uses distilled water and long grain br. That works without verm.

--------------------
i apologize if i aide in the spreading of any misinformation

"Adventavit asinus,
Pulcher et fortissimus"

Edited by rheidiohed121 (08/20/02 07:19 AM)

Offlineblueshroomchick
how did I gethere?

Loc: Texas
    #830169 - 08/20/02 09:59 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

In the past I have used broken Terra cotta pots (you know, the regular orange-ish colored flower pots). They retain water well, even when smashed into a thousand tiny pieces

Also, since planting season is over, all of Walmart's terra cotta pots are on clearance now...

--------------------

Psychics will lead dogs to your body.

-Alleged fortune cookie message

InvisibleSoFarNorth
Hindu BuddistInitiate
Loc: Far away from here
Re: A Challenge For The Cultivation Forum [Re: blueshroomchick] * 1
    #830192 - 08/20/02 10:06 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Maybe crushed lava rock would work?

--------------------
"Those that would sacrifice essential liberties for some temporary safety deserve neither."
Ben Franklin

Offlineblueshroomchick
how did I gethere?

Re: A Challenge For The Cultivation Forum [Re: SoFarNorth] * 1
    #830391 - 08/20/02 11:51 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Maybe...I never tried it, but who knows....

--------------------

OfflineHammerloaf
addict

Loc: Canada
    #830739 - 08/20/02 03:01 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

buy some white chalk like they use in schools and crush it up a bit into pieces the size of a pencil eraser or smaller... that should work well as a replacement.

Hammy.

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
Re: A Challenge For The Cultivation Forum [Re: Hammerloaf] * 1
    #830894 - 08/20/02 04:39 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Chalk is very alkaline. I would be wary of using it in such quantities.

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

Anonymous

Re: A Challenge For The Cultivation Forum [Re: mickey_rourke] * 1
    #831993 - 08/21/02 03:32 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I suggest you guys dump the pf jars and the need for vermiculite.

Grow shrooms like a pro with colonized rye grain being used to innoculate compost. This is a cheaper method which results in bigger and more shrooms. It's also more fun and just as easy. When I read about people still putting 4 holes in a lid of a little jar, you guys are stuck in the '70's!

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
Re: A Challenge For The Cultivation Forum [Re: ] * 1
    #832270 - 08/21/02 06:38 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

what if you can't find compost? what if you live in the city?

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
    #832452 - 08/21/02 08:06 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

In reply to:

When I read about people still putting 4 holes in a lid of a little jar, you guys are stuck in the '70's!

The 70's? How did you get that idea? PF released his tek around 1992. It was revolutionary for it's time. It allowed the novice cultivator the chance to experience a high degree of success. What innovations have you brought to mycology?

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

Offlinevatoloco
Puppet Hunter -DBK
Post deleted by MOE THE MAD SCIENTIST [Re: mickey_rourke] * 1
    #833286 - 08/21/02 11:51 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

OfflineSick_Of_It_All
All Of It's Sick

Loc: Orlando, Florida
    #833747 - 08/21/02 02:56 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Better yet, do my method:

Buy a cow. Put him in your back yard. Make that bitch eat nothing but straw and grass covered with spores. Let him shit everywhere, kill him and eat him. Wait a couple of weeks and you have mushrooms. Throw the spent turds over the fence into your neighbors yard.

Invisibletak_old
Endo Smoke

Loc: State of confusion
    #833814 - 08/21/02 03:26 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I dont know where youre from but here in the US, its redily available. Ive been to about 7 places nationwide california,delaware,utah,florida,maine,illinois,louisiana in the last 2 years and ive been able to find vermiculite everywhere without much work. People generally dont look. They assume there is nothing because they didnt look. In utah i thought there were no nuserys anywhere...i lived there for years and noticed a hidden nursery 2 blocks away...Its around

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #833825 - 08/21/02 03:31 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Max - Compost will not give you more shrooms per weight than rye or millet - compost is good because it is cheap and bulk substrate that you can easily spawn without contamination in bulk amounts.
I was unaware that there were any 'professional' cubensis growers - and if there were, they wouldnt be like you - domesicating wild prints by simply feeding them into spore syringes - no agar involved.
Max receives wild prints from Wollongong - two weeks later Max's Wollongong strain is available on max's site...
Just because you use rye doesnt mean shit if you cant isolate with agar - maybe you should get passed the casing stage first??

--------------------

OfflinepsilocybinjunkieM
relaxin
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: A Challenge For The Cultivation Forum [Re: Zen Peddler] * 1
    #834212 - 08/21/02 06:04 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Hey blue
try to keep it friendly

Offlineblueshroomchick
how did I gethere?

Re: A Challenge For The Cultivation Forum [Re: funwithgus] * 1
    #834589 - 08/21/02 08:44 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

The green foam stuff is called Oasis Foam. I would hold water well, but I'm not sure if it would block contams. I also don't know if it would hold up in the PC.

--------------------

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
    #834593 - 08/21/02 08:48 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Check out this post: Pressure Cooking Plastic

--------------------

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

Re: A Challenge For The Cultivation Forum [Re: Raadt] * 1
    #836715 - 08/22/02 05:25 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Someone had the idea once to go to the local zoo and see if they will give up some Elaphant poop to use in the "garden". Cities have zoos.

--------------------
Be all and you'll be to end all

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Re: A Challenge For The Cultivation Forum [Re: psilocybinjunkie] * 1
    #837171 - 08/22/02 10:52 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

sorry PJ!

--------------------

Anonymous

#837423 - 08/23/02 04:34 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

It sounds like for some, compost may be easier to find than vermiculite.

mickey, are your holes so small contams can't fit? Here's an innovation: take the lid right off!

bluemeanie....garbage as usual

http://www.teaching-biomed.man.ac.uk/student_projects/2000/mnqc6rac/cultivation.htm

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
    #837959 - 08/23/02 09:08 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

In reply to:

mickey, are your holes so small contams can't fit? Here's an innovation: take the lid right off!

Damn Capt. you're so smart. How did I ever get by without your sound advice? LMAO

Are you confused? The holes are protected by the dry vermiculite layer. When I use PF style jars, I keep the holes taped until the jars are 100% colonized. In addition to this, I use a variant of the PF tek and have a layer of foil between the vermiculite and the substrate. If someone followed your advice, they would surely lose the entire lot.

Please refrain from posting cultivation advice until you actually get a clue.

--------------------

Anonymous

#838763 - 08/23/02 04:35 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I take the lid right off mickey, it's much easier, the verm barrier is still there and when working in a clean air space, like a small room with a hepa air filter, there is very little danger of contamination. Even working on your kitchen counter is pretty safe unless there is a specific reason why your air is contaminated..like the mouldy cakes in the wastebasket, the corpse in the corner....do you live in a slum perhaps?

Offlinestaindblue
enthusiast

Loc: GodsCountry
    #840938 - 08/24/02 03:58 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Please people, Let's not fight. The gauntlet has been thrown down so let's pick it up and accept the challenge. When i first heard about vermiculite disappearing i thought that can't be i've gotten it at all the places they said wouldn't carry it no more so i made it a point to look at these places even though i didn't need it.
Walmart in my hood doesn't carry it no more or the jiffy 50/50 + that i used to like doing my casing with. I didn't ask why, I can't get it there end of story. Home Depot doesn't carry it (in my hood) anymore.Now this didn't just happen either; It's been awhile now. Lowes still carries it and that's where i get it. I'm not sure what's happening but I do believe something is going on.
I've seen a lot of Great ideas here that i'm eager to try THANKS TO EVERYONE!!
And this is an excellent challenge even if getting vermiculite isn't a problem!!
THANKS ALIEN!!

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: A Challenge For The Cultivation Forum [Re: staindblue] * 1
    #841063 - 08/24/02 05:12 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I don't buy it anymore, but there is no shortage of vermiculite here; Home depot, Fred Meyer, many local hardware stores. Whole grain [birdseed, eg] is a nice thing to shoot for; Fewer sticky dishes, fewer but larger jars. . .anyway.

No smack toward the PF tek, it is a reliable, simple way to do things--especially if you want to experiment; You can easily have 12 different jars, each treated differently or made up of slightly different stuff. . .many possibilities. Not to mention the lack of care required!

One thing we have a lot of is shredded paper; The cris-cross cut type, not the long strips. Combined [maybe] with Soil-Moist [polyacrylamide, aka 'water crystals']. I think the mycelium will suck the paper dry without something else added, though.

As mentioned before, cardboard is a possibility; If it's moistened, most cubes will colonize it just fine. Dunno how to get it into PF-shape, though

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: A Challenge For The Cultivation Forum [Re: Suntzu] * 1
    #841227 - 08/24/02 07:05 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

The Raccoon is not into "cakes", prefering to use bulk spawn, substrates & casings.

However, the answer to the verm replacement question is:

One word................." Diatomite".

AKA ........................diatomaceous earth.

Use the google search engine & punch in Diatomite for more info than you ever want to know.

It is rock solid safe. If you eat grain or cerial products? You eat minute amounts every day & have all your life, as have your parents. If you use any vegtable oil, cooking oil, olive oil or drink beer or fruit juice? Diatomite is what it was filtered through.

It is "inert", will withstand temps to almost 2500 degree's & will asbsorb more than it's weight in liquid.

You can get it in bulk at any swimming pool supply place. They use it as a water filtation medium.

Nuff said : SixTango

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Re: A Challenge For The Cultivation Forum [Re: SixTango] * 1
    #841230 - 08/24/02 07:07 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Any leftovers could be used as dessicant...

--------------------

Anonymous

#841667 - 08/25/02 03:21 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

...or a snack?

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #841783 - 08/25/02 06:13 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Pest & insect infestations are a problem for grain & cerial producers (duhhh). Small insects like gnats, flies, flea's, nemitods and such (even cockroach's) -- do not have a "gut" similar to larger animals or humans. They control their internal body fluid content via a "waxy" outer coating.

One property of Diatomite is that, it will evisorate that coating, causing tiny insects to dehydrate & die. A small insect upon contact with Diatomite will attempt to get away from Diatomite quick --, knowing it will kill them. Just like a human reflex to pull your finger away -- quickly -- when you touch a hot stove burner by accident.

So, in effect -- while harmless to humans & larger life forms -- Diatomite -- functions as a mechanical insectifuge and/or insecticide with regards to tiny insects.

Grain & cerial producers have known this for over 50 years. Those raw grain and cerial commodities are most prone to insect infestations after harvest, in bulk storage -- or shipping. The USDA ( & Canadian counterpart) allow a very small percentage of "foreign" matter in "raw" grain & cerial products.

In grain & cerial producing area's -- you may have noted huge piles of grain -- stored outside -- covered with tarps -- with tires to hold the tarps in place? You might also have noticed huge silo's & storage bins (duhhhh)..

Ever wonder what is used to keep insects from infesting them?

You sure as-- Death Valley California -- is hot -- cannot -- use toxic chemical insecticides into food commodities to protect them, as those chemicals are "toxic" to humans.

Diatomite is introduced into these raw commodities in amounts so small it comes under the foreign matter "exception" allowable by law to help keep insects from infestion those raw commodities. Once Diatomite is "in" them. It cannot be removed. So it gets processed along with the commodity into whatever end product the commodity is made into --- ie, all grain & cerial products you eat -- every day.

The net result is, the whole US population have been eating Diatomite since about 1930 in almost every grain & cerial product they consume.

This stuff is so safe, the only way it would harm you is, if you were buried under tons of it & suffocated .

The Raccoon has used it in both substrates & casing from the day he started.

Live & learn.

SixTango

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Edited by SixTango (08/26/02 05:02 AM)

Offlinegrandmastaj
???
    #842196 - 08/25/02 12:12 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

damn u know alot about that stuff. so how much does this stuff cost exactly? also, if i were adapting the pf tek to use it, how much of this would i use? same as i would use vermiculite (1/2 cup i think)?

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Re: A Challenge For The Cultivation Forum [Re: grandmastaj] * 1
    #843196 - 08/25/02 10:44 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Im sorry Ive got to ask why Capt max hasnt been banned by now - everything that comes out of his mouth is just plain misinformation.
If you have a verm barrier and holes in your lid and you are innoculating with a syringe why would you bother taking the lid off - increasing the chances significantly of contamination - when its not necessary??
Why max would you be using a verm seal if your working with rye grain? Agar wedge innoculation would be impossible with a verm seal. You make it so obvious every time that you speak that you really know nothing about mushroom cultivation.
Your quote regarding lines on spore prints demonstrates an obvious ignorance of exactly how and where the spores of a mushroom are generated from. Your lack of lines is a sign of high humidity causing smudging - a breading ground for contaminants. Keep studying max, one day you'll get there...

--------------------

Anonymous

#843407 - 08/26/02 02:44 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

bluemeanie, you prove your self stupider everytime you resume your pathetic little smear campaign.

I never said I use a verm barrier on grain, thats you making up bullshit as usual.

If there are contaminants in your air, do you think they are so big as too not fit into your 4 holes? Try working in a clean workplace, you won't have to worry so much about your air and you can take the lid right off, quickly innocultae and put the lid back on. Much easier than screwing around with multiple holes and tape.

My lack of lines? What the hell bullshit are you talking about now? You should be banned for lying so much around here, I never said I had any lack of lines you bullshitter! If I'm making a print and just want lines, all I have to do is remove the cap after a couple hours. I've made hundreds of spore prints, don't try to tell me what they look like.

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: ] * 1
    #843418 - 08/26/02 02:53 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #843421 - 08/26/02 02:55 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

If one of you(blue,max) posts in this thread again, he gets a 7 days ban. You have been warned.

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #843737 - 08/26/02 07:32 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Not totally true , a friend in pest control industry says that long term exposure breathing in fine dust of it can be harmful to lungs , no it will not kill you , but can cause asthma like symptoms , pnemonia can form in those who have lung problems . SO WEAR A MASK WHEN HANDELING !

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Offlinekingkc
enthusiast
 User Gallery
Re: A Challenge For The Cultivation Forum [Re: tripndicular] * 1
    #843793 - 08/26/02 07:55 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

After wasting as little time as possible going through this section of the BB , I will now say Tripmeister had it right. Horse poo and spawn. Peace.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Boomr Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates