Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDr. Spock
Stranger

I think there's something under my house....
    #7943822 - 01/28/08 02:16 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

First off, I want to introduce myself as Dr. Spock.  Its good to join these awesome boards...I hope you guys realize how special this community really is. (I frequent quite a few forums...and this might be the best I've come across.) 

Now, what better way to start things off than an interesting post? 

Now a little back story before I go into the actually problem.  I just moved into this awesome beach city (I'm originally from Nevada)  and everything has been amazing.  The house is not on the beach...but its a bike ride away... 

I still have all my things in boxes, day 2 at the new place.  THe house itself is pretty old, but I find comfort in the oldness. hehe

Now all this brings us to the actual title of this thread... 
I was unpacking last night, and heard something in the other room (these rooms are empty with wood flooring...you could hear a needle drop from across the house.)  It sounded odd...not your normal house creaking, so I go to check it out and inspected both rooms from which the sound could have come from. 

Both were completely empty, except for a couple boxes.  Right as I was about to leave the 2nd room and go back to unpacking, I feel something hit the floor under me.  I fucking jump to high hell... it was the same sound I heard from the other room.  That shit was creepy as hell..it was like someone punched the floor under me. (The house is single story on ground level...)

So after gaining my wits about me, I go into the kitchen and grab my maglite.  Its almost midnight when this is all going down...not really sure what I was going to do.  I looked for a way to get under the house, I just wanted to shine my light under there and see if I could spot anything from outside.

I find the entrance on the side of the house...and get this, its fucking caged and has one of those really old padlocks over it.  What the fuck! 

I shine my light through the cage.  It seems like there were two steps that lead to under the house and then a  solid wall that blocks the view from the rest of under the house.  I've done my fair share of exploring under houses (or at least my own house back home...) and this shit was WAY the hell higher than what I would consider normal. 

So I go back inside the house and I don't hear another noise for the rest of the night...but I was left I bit shaken.  I don't think its haunted..never believed any of that BS...but I would be lieing if I said I wasn't a little creeped out over the whole situation. 

I called that guy about the key to the padlock today.  He said he didn't have it.  Great.  Don't people need to get down there for utility work every now and then? 

I'm left wondering what in gods name made those noises (yes...I fucking heard it again tonight...just two quick hits from the other room.)  One, the most logical guess: It's some animal thats causing it.  But I just can't really figure how this animal could reach the top and make that banging noise...  its about a 3 1/2 foot gap from the dirt to the bottom of my  floor (or from what I could see from the maglite inspection).  So wtf... what do you guys think?  Maybe its some sort of pipe problem...  I don't know.  haha..that fucking padlock got me.  It was too perfect.  It was like a movie or something...all they needed was an old wooden sign reading, "DO NOT ENTER" lol

I'm going to search for a key tomorrow after work...if I can't find it, I'm breaking the padlock.  What I'm going to do after I break it...I'm not sure.  I don't want to get bit by some animal...but this area doesn't really have anything bigger than racoon's around (which would still suck running into.)  Oh well, I'll play it by ear.  I don't know anyone around these parts...and I had to share this situation with someone, why not the shroomery!:crazy:

Edited by Dr. Spock (01/28/08 02:21 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinewolfiexiii
Oddity
Male

Re: I think there's something under my house.... [Re: Dr. Spock]
    #7943841 - 01/28/08 02:24 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

allo and welcome...

Get some pics of it, the lock, and underneath.

and hire some drunk guy to go around underneath and take more pics. =)

if someones gotta get eaten it might as well be someone else.

OfflineDr. Spock
Stranger

Re: I think there's something under my house.... [Re: wolfiexiii]
    #7943857 - 01/28/08 02:36 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

haha...yeah I should use some sacrificial victim to go under there. 

As for the pics, I don't have a digital camera atm... but I'll be picking one up soon...I'll post pics when I do.  Yeah...I should document the exploration once the padlock is off. :smile:

InvisibleBandersnatch
Frumious

#7943977 - 01/28/08 05:15 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Welcome to The Shroomery.

That's creepy as fuck, man. Definitely would freak me out. Are you renting the place or what? It seems sketch that the dude wouldn't have the key to the padlock, but who knows.

Better grab a video camera for posterity if you die. It'd add to the legacy. :awesome:

InvisibleJPMorgan

Re: I think there's something under my house.... [Re: Bandersnatch]
    #7944016 - 01/28/08 06:15 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

It's a pipe, more than likely, but you can hire me to be the drunk photographer.

InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
    #7944042 - 01/28/08 06:33 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Sorry about that, I hit my head a few times.  Happens a lot to me, but what do ya expect when the ceilings so low.

Its cheap rent living down here though.  You should pop under and have a smoke :stoned:

InvisibleBurningBeard
The IncomparableMr. Flannery
Male
Loc: The bottom of the bottle.
Re: I think there's something under my house.... [Re: Ego Death]
    #7944101 - 01/28/08 07:11 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

That sounds like a straight-up horror flick man.

I'm at a loss as to just why someone would feel the need to padlock a crawlspace anyhow. Really weird.

If it is an animal, you might wanna figure some way to let it out... If it dies under there you'll have one hell of a smell on your hands later.

--------------------
Daedalus, your child is falling and the Labyrinth is calling.
Renegade heaps, humanity abandoned
Bower of the vowels, you lit them and fanned them.
Mercury, the courier, celestial messenger
Bed with Dawn, your bride.
Arrowhead of Diane, pierce the mind of a man,
Tongueless muse of time

Offlinecappincrunk
Male

Loc: A Geographical oddity
Re: I think there's something under my house.... [Re: Ego Death]
    #7944102 - 01/28/08 07:12 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

"when somethin's strange in the neighborhood, who you gonna call? uhhh.... an exterminator.

Weird shit man, and welcome aboard.

--------------------
To derive one's happiness from only specific moments in time is to miss out on the cosmic accident that is all of life's moments

InvisibleJPMorgan

Re: I think there's something under my house.... [Re: BurningBeard]
    #7944117 - 01/28/08 07:16 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

BurningBeard said:
That sounds like a straight-up horror flick man.

I'm at a loss as to just why someone would feel the need to padlock a crawlspace anyhow. Really weird.

If it is an animal, you might wanna figure some way to let it out... If it dies under there you'll have one hell of a smell on your hands later.

Well, you see, in addition to being a great photographer while under the influence, I also eat small mammals in their raw form, so hire me and kill two birds (or raccoons) with one stone.:grin:

InvisibleZepplin
journeyman
 User Gallery

Re: I think there's something under my house.... [Re: JPMorgan]
    #7944889 - 01/28/08 11:31 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

What I would do is: Go buy another lock (with a key). It must be locked for a reason. Borrow some bolt cutters and remove the old lock. Set up a
camera under the house maybe?? You can buy an IR wireless camera on Ebay for cheap. They don't work real well, but should be good enough for this. Maybe even one of those trail cameras used by deer hunters. Ask one of your deer hunting friends to borrow one if you don't have / can't afford one. If it's only a pipe, won't help you much. That's my best advice. Good luck.

OfflineStonedShroom
OG shroomerite
 User Gallery

#7945052 - 01/28/08 12:11 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

padlock into the crawlspace is probably to prevent thieves... We have a padlock over our crawlspace thing, mostly b/c it leads right into the basement.

is the crawlspace thing like mesh or a grate? if so I think the only animal that can get in there would be snakes, squirrels, and mice.

eeee creepy stuff, I'd probably get an exterminator...

--------------------
We are not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience.

We are spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.

OfflineOracle Of Delphi
I, Phantom
Female

Loc: State of Disrepair
    #7945401 - 01/28/08 01:38 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

welcome
sounds like a mouse.
they can practically jump stright up 5 feet if they want to/are scared.

put some bread on the floor - if it is gone in the AM - youll know.

the drunk angle is also fun.

--------------------

http://dictionary.reference.com/

OfflineDr. Spock
Stranger

Re: I think there's something under my house.... [Re: Oracle Of Delphi]
    #7945572 - 01/28/08 02:21 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the responses! Didn't think anyone would get through the post...haha.

I own the house, the guy I called about the padlock had taken care of the house in between owners. I guess he fixed up a bunch of stuff or something... I see no upgrades what so ever.

Anyway, he had no idea why there was a padlock, (great!) but one some very good news, I did find an old box filled with random junk (including a few keys...one that looked pretty god damn old), so when I get home from work, I'm going give the key a go. I literally found the box on the way out the door (to work)... so I still need to wait another couple hours before I can get home and give the key a try.

I agree with everyone, I need to document this. I'll get pictures of the entrance and padlock, maybe drop by the store a pick up something cheap to snap with.

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Loc: the popcorn stadium Flag
    #7945628 - 01/28/08 02:33 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

cat, raccon, mice, rats, disturbed native american burial ground resting under your house...probably one of the first four

when we moved into our house (renting) last year about this time, i kept hearing scratching on the den floor from underneath, but there are vents over all entryways that have been glued and no crawlspace (or at least no door entrance). never have smelled any dead/funky smells, so assuming it was probably just mice or something

it's definitely creepy, though, especially when really high late at nite or when tripping

--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

InvisibleKid_Orgo
 User Gallery

Loc: Hale-Bopp
    #7947230 - 01/28/08 07:45 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

A dremel tool with cutting wheel or an angle grinder will go right through that lock.

Wear safety glasses.

--------------------
He was a cowboy in one of the seven days a week fights. No business, no hangout; no friends, nothing; just what you pick up and what you need.

InvisibleHefe
a steamy cog_shit
Male

Re: I think there's something under my house.... [Re: Kid_Orgo]
    #7951031 - 01/29/08 03:56 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

So... what happened?

OfflineRipVanWinkle
The Benzodiazethang
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Near Memphrica, TN Flag
    #7951097 - 01/29/08 04:07 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Moan into it and see if you get an answer

--------------------
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #7951310 - 01/29/08 04:50 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

That is freaky.

Ya got a rabid monkey locked up down there.........BEWARE

--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
    #7951668 - 01/29/08 05:57 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Welcome to the Shroomery. So, what part of Nevada did you leave and what part of California are you living in?

I moved from Las Vegas (almost 30 years there) to San Diego 2 years ago. I rented a place just a block from the beach (Ocean Beach, to be exact). We had shitloads of wild animals in our neighborhood. Skunks, raccoons and possums galore! They made thier dens underneath our house, the neighbors house, pretty much everybodys house! Having lived so many years in the desert without wild animals like that it was strange. But I really grew to love them. I'd go out every night and watch the raccoons play, the skunks eat, etc.

I recently moved a few miles inland. Nicer places for cheaper, you know. But the thing I miss most is not the beach itself, its those cool little critters.

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

OfflineRipVanWinkle
The Benzodiazethang
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Near Memphrica, TN Flag
Re: I think there's something under my house.... [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #7951681 - 01/29/08 06:00 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

That last racoon's eye doesn't look very healthy at all :frown:

EDIT:  I have a friend with a pet racoon.  The first time I went over there to smoke I was stoned as hell and sitting in the floor and all of a sudden this racoon comes running into the room and runs up to me and picks up my hand with his little racoon hands and started smelling it. It's pretty cool, he sleeps in one of the kitchen cabinets and roams free through the house at all times.

--------------------
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.

Edited by RipVanWinkle (01/29/08 06:02 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale