Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehazey
Male

gypsum!!
    #7931515 - 01/25/08 07:00 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

my CITY apparently is out of gypsum, and all i have is shitty drywall that ive tried to grind into powder, but it seems impossible to get a substantial amount because of the paper on both sides... can anyone offer me any tips on breaking this shit up? ive made a mess, and only have like 1/4 cup of it... what would happen if i said fuck the gypsum and didnt use any? will i see a significant difference?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemycopsycho
Tit Inspector.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Going Nowhere Fast
Re: gypsum!! [Re: hazey]
    #7931519 - 01/25/08 07:01 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

you can get paper shreds mixed in. it wont hurt it any. the easiest way to break it up would be take a chunk and put it in a big freezer bag and then smash it with a hammer.

--------------------
I Am The Sickness.

Diploid: I think adults have a right to make stupid decisions and it's nobody else's fucking business.

Invisiblenorml840
sex toy guru
Male User Gallery

Loc: lost
Re: gypsum!! [Re: mycopsycho]
    #7931530 - 01/25/08 07:03 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

hammer and bag tek sounds great.

Invisiblemycopsycho
Tit Inspector.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: gypsum!! [Re: norml840]
    #7931552 - 01/25/08 07:07 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

:wink:

--------------------
I Am The Sickness.

Diploid: I think adults have a right to make stupid decisions and it's nobody else's fucking business.

Offlinehazey
Male

Re: gypsum!! [Re: mycopsycho]
    #7931572 - 01/25/08 07:10 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

i think thats what ill have to try... but what if i dont use gypsum? what drawbacks will i see?

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #7931576 - 01/25/08 07:10 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I have the same problem where I'm at. From what I was told by a nice lady at Home Depot, gypsum isn't used much in Florida and she has never seen it sold anywhere down here in her 6 years of working. Every time I ask for it at garden shops I get a strange look and they ask what I'm using it for. I've debating buying it online, but I don't want to pay between $15-20 for 5 lbs of it when I hear people say they can get 40+ pounds for less than $5 where they live. I've gotten great results without using it, so unless I see a HUGE benefit to using it, I'll pass for now.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlinehazey
Male

Re: gypsum!! [Re: FooMan]
    #7931586 - 01/25/08 07:12 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

so no gypsum = still trippin balls?

Invisiblemycopsycho
Tit Inspector.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #7931597 - 01/25/08 07:14 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

yes, theres no big difference. dont worry it'll be fine.

--------------------
I Am The Sickness.

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #7931599 - 01/25/08 07:14 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, definitely. I don't think Gypsum provides any nutritional value, so potency wouldn't be affected in any way. I believe its benefit involves maintaining pH levels.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlinehazey
Male

#7931608 - 01/25/08 07:15 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

right on, thanks guys. sometimes the shroomery is essential for confidence.

Invisiblemycopsycho
Tit Inspector.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #7931614 - 01/25/08 07:16 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

no problem man, i like to help when i can.

--------------------
I Am The Sickness.

InvisibledrftNV
aspirant
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7931955 - 01/25/08 08:28 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

FooManShroom said:
Yeah, definitely. I don't think Gypsum provides any nutritional value, so potency wouldn't be affected in any way. I believe its benefit involves maintaining pH levels.

As a newb one thing that really throws me off is the conflicting information. One person says no nutritional benefit, another will say gypsum provides calcium and sulphur, both nutrients the fungi will use and result in a noticable increase in yeild.

Another example is people saying coir has no nutritional value, others saying it does.

All i can surmise is neither are essential to grow, but both would be beneficial. Is this about right?

Invisiblethedefone
deus ex machina

Loc: Gondwana
Re: gypsum!! [Re: drftNV]
    #7931991 - 01/25/08 08:33 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Another example is people saying coir has no nutritional value, others saying it does.

Don't listen to anyone who says that anymore. That was the old belief, but has been thoroughly, and totally disproven.

Quote:

All i can surmise is neither are essential to grow, but both would be beneficial. Is this about right?

Sure. Why not? Gypsum helps relieve clumping and does buffer pH, as well.

--------------------

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: gypsum!! [Re: thedefone]
    #7932181 - 01/25/08 09:06 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Studies at commercial mushroom farms have shown up to a 20% increase in yield when gypsum is used over the exact same strain and substrate without gypsum. I've been saying it for years, Paul Stamets has been saying it for years, and you can google gypsum & mushroom farms, and see the results for yourself. Mushrooms are one of the best sources for humans to get calcium. The calcium in mushrooms is much easier to absorb into your system than calcium from dairy products. Doesn't it make sense to make sure your substrate has plenty?

A few years ago, they said I was nuts when I reported that coir is a useful substrate material. Everyone said "coir has no nutes", as if mushrooms somehow need NPK. Search 'coir' and my username here and in advanced from 2003-2004 and you'll see what I mean. Then they said mushrooms would never grow on coffee-it's too acidic. Now they say gypsum provides little benefit, despite evidence to the contrary.

You can grow cubes without using gypsum, as we well know. However, you'll get more bang for the buck when using it. In addition, it keeps the substrate nice and loose for the mycelium to easily colonize, and it resists pH swings as the mushroom metabolites try to swing the pH lower.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: gypsum!! [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7932220 - 01/25/08 09:13 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

20% increase eh? I may order online afterall...

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlinemandelbrah
Central Scrutinizer

Loc: the crust
    #7932291 - 01/25/08 09:29 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Gypsum can sometimes be found at a homebrew shop. Brewers use it to lower pH, to dull a sharp hops flavor, and to balance calcium content if local water is too soft. Homebrewing is a great excuse for all kinds of weird shit.

Offlinehazey
Male

Re: gypsum!! [Re: mandelbrah]
    #7932899 - 01/26/08 12:13 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

my homebrew shop has 4 oz packets for 1$, how many pounds should i get?

Offlinemandelbrah
Central Scrutinizer

Loc: the crust
    #7934147 - 01/26/08 09:40 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Get several pounds - it's cheap. If they ask why you're getting so much, (assuming you're a guy) tell them your GF/wife wants to try it out on her plants since you told her it lowers pH and she thinks her garden may benefit.

This is my recipe for coir spawn and casing mix:

Coir Spawn - Mix spent coffee grounds and coir at 1 cup coffee to 3 cups coir – make 2 jars for every jar of colonized grain. Add a few tablespoons of lime to the coir. Add ½ cup gypsum powder. Ensure mix is wet enough to let out only a few drops of moisture when squeezed and load into empty jar. Use a lid with a ½ inch breather and tyvek to cover.

Casing Mix - Mix 2 cups peat, 2 cups verm, 1/3 cup lime, and 1/5 cup gypsum in a bowl with plenty of water and test w/ pH meter – make 1 jar for every 2 jars coir. Add lime until pH is 8. Drain water from peat/verm until only a few drips when sqeezed. Load into jar w/breather and tyvek.

PC and enjoy.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate