Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineperplexed
Born at the same time
    #792857 - 08/02/02 04:35 PM (15 years, 24 days ago)

This has probably been asked before but i cant find an answer anywere. Is there any reason that you should birth all jars at the same time? If half are done and the others are just a few days behind can they be throw in the terrarium before the others. The only thing i can think of is the humidity might not be as high as if all were in, but my humidity is above 95, if my gauge is accurate. I got it from walmart, it goes to 95 then just displays 'HIGH' above that. And even if the humidity is to low, wont they just continue colinizing in the terrarium? Well if i should just calm the fuck down and wait till there all done let me know cause i can wait if i must, or even should.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineravingbanana
Every Girl'sSexual Desire

Re: Born at the same time [Re: perplexed]
    #792866 - 08/02/02 04:39 PM (15 years, 24 days ago)

What are you talking about? I never heard of birthing a jar that's not colonized.

--------------------
If Bin Laden eats worms.. Would he be equal to nutritional value of worm castings?
If you could have sex with a person's voice.. Your voice would be the one I'd pick to rape.
Don't worry.. I have a seven inch penis.

Anonymous

#792872 - 08/02/02 04:43 PM (15 years, 24 days ago)

DO NOT birth your cakes until they are fully colonized. You are almost inviting contams in if you do. Patience is a virtue well rewarded here. I try to let my cakes go a few days (up to a week) after they have colonized before I birth them. Just my two cents. Good luck to you on yer latest project. G

OfflineKilla420
Alien Lover
Male
Loc: Down South
Re: Born at the same time [Re: ]
    #792895 - 08/02/02 04:57 PM (15 years, 24 days ago)

Just birth the ones that are done and when the others finish, just stick them along with the others. You wont be doing anything different since it is cakes and your humidity should be 99% all the time.

Offlineperplexed
Re: Born at the same time [Re: Killa420]
    #792905 - 08/02/02 05:06 PM (15 years, 24 days ago)

Cool, thanks killa... glad someone got that, looking back my post was a little misleading.

Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
    #792924 - 08/02/02 05:20 PM (15 years, 24 days ago)

what is more likely to change in a terrarium that is slightly populated, compared to one that has too many cakes in it, is that the level of CO2 will rise in an overpopulated terrarium. humidity will be held in balance by your vermiculite or perlite.

in fancier setups, replacement air is piped in and a means of venting the excess CO2 is provided. in most cases, this is simply a waste of money. for those with very little real estate for their garden, then putting as many cakes in a terrarium as will fit is the norm, and without extra gas exchange, poor results are a certainty.

in a typical semi-translucent rubbermaid, a person will normally place four to six cakes per square foot of terrarium.

my smaller terraria are rubbermaid brand 4.9 us gallon units, that efficiently accomodate six cakes. my larger ones are 59 quarts, about twice as big, and accomodating about twelve cakes, with once per day fanning or less. many people use ten gallon aquaria, which can easily take eight to ten with no extra fanning.

as far as when to birth, one should wait until FULL colonization, unless your cakes have contam spots you intend to brand, cut out or bleach. the only other consideration as to when to birth has to do with the availability of jars. i own about sixty cake jars, and for my gourmet mushrooms, i constantly find myself wishing i had about an extra hundred or so. studies indicate that pinset is better while still in the jar, so yeild should be higher if one waits to see pins in the jar. since i have lots of terraria, and only a few jars, i initiate pinset in the terrarium so that i can free up the jars as soon as possible.

out of the same original container of innoculant, birthdates for the innoculated jars may vary by as much as a month. some cakes colonize faster than others.

hope this answers your questions

Offlineperplexed
Re: Born at the same time [Re: tchyted]
    #793054 - 08/02/02 06:42 PM (15 years, 24 days ago)

All i needed to know and more...that i needed to know

Invisibleutopianglory
Spunkmuffin
    #793370 - 08/02/02 09:43 PM (15 years, 24 days ago)

You've never heard of it eh?

I have done it before, only out of necessity though. The growth was very stagnant for ages so I bumped the humidity up a lot so that the cake immediately added a large amount of bulk and hence colonised the area that had not been colonised.

That wasn't a massive patch like half a cake though.

Just thought I'd let you know it is possible, albeit risky. No reason to risk it unless it is a necessity.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation