Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecelestialtripper
Test Pilot
Male User Gallery

jar steralization help
    #792618 - 08/02/02 11:47 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

ok i searched the faq for this but i couldnt find the exact answer i needed! ok now do you make the cake and then steralize the jars or steralize the jars and then make cakes in them? also if you need to make the cake in the jars and then steralize them (which i think you do according to another website but i want to be sure) i heard you should wrap some tin foil around the lids and put some sort of towel on the bottom of the pressure cooker...is this true too?
thank you

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepsillyshroompha
shr00m0r

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: jar steralization help [Re: celestialtripper]
    #792678 - 08/02/02 12:32 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

1. Sterilize the cakes in the jars BEFORE you inject them with the spores, that will kill all other bacteria that may be in the cakes.
2. Yes, put tinfoil over the jars to make sure that too much water doesn't leak into the holes you have drilled in the jars.
3. Yes, put a washcloth or small towel at the bottom of the pressure cooker to make sure the glass jars are not in direct contact with the heat. They could possibly crack, or your cakes could be burnt, rendering them useless.

--------------------
To all the weed I've smoked,
this blunts for you.
To all the people I offended,
Fuck you too
To all the friends I used to have,
I miss my past.
But the rest of you assholes,
Can Kiss My Ass

Offlinemushroomaniac
Cattle Lover

Loc: Coconut tree #323, in the...
Re: jar steralization help [Re: psillyshroompha]
    #792736 - 08/02/02 01:18 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
We're all our father's fastest swimmers!

Edited by mushroomaniac (08/02/02 01:18 PM)

OfflineBleedingSickness
Friend OfAttention Whore
Loc: Northern USA
Re: jar steralization help [Re: celestialtripper]
    #792781 - 08/02/02 01:58 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

you sterilize the jars with the substrate mixture inside the jars but they are uninoculated jars the mixture of the average beginner like myself is for one 1/2 pint jar(236 ml) you use 140ml of vermiculite, 40ml brown rice flour, and a lil vermiculite for the top not much, plus the water I mix it all up into a large bowl and do about 6-12 jars at one time but the mix i gave you is only for one jar if your doing say six you add six of everything into the large bowl example you add 840mls of vermiculite to the bowl for six jars. Recently though I had to buy pint jars instead of half pint jars so I have to double my ingrediants i haven't tried it before but everyone here said it should work fine so bare with me ehh but

moving on you can use a large cooking pot if you don't have a pressure cooker since they can be dangerous if you don't know how to use one or hehe in my experience if the pressure cooker you get is from a friend and its' BROKEN no-names will be released

You first wrap tinfoil around the top of your unInoculated jars special emphasis on UN you don't inoculate your jars till after you sterilize them typically three layers works the best wrap it around the top and fold it down then repeat with another layer and finally another layer this will prevent water from getting inside your jars well you are steaming them only put about an inch of water into your pressure cooker don't heat too fast or it can crack your jars or if your using a large pot with a lid put in 1 inch of water and steam for about an hour and a half you usually have to add another inch of water after 45 minutes through your process try to get the water you add back into the pot as hot as you can get it or better yet microwave it first I one time added water that was pretty cool and it cracked my jars instantly keep in mind that I am a beginner myself but so far I have had no contaminated batches in all that I have done. For a clearer explanation on how to do what I tried to tell you to do look here Simple minds PF-Tek guide

also there are more references on this site that should easily inform you on what to do

Best of luck to you and enjoy what you get

Edited by BleedingSickness (08/02/02 02:11 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags