Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBleedingSickness
Friend OfAttention Whore
Loc: Northern USA
Experimental any suggestions would be happily take
    #792446 - 08/02/02 10:13 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I was forced to buy pint jars instead of half-pint jars since it wasn't canning season and they said they only had pint jars and up, I am currently looking into possibly using the PF-Tek method only doubling the ingrediants int he jar and after I remove them from the jars I was thinking I'd cut the cakes into four pieces or two whichever appeard to work best if only two then I'd cut straight down the middle lengthwise so there'd be two perfectly identical halves do any of you have speculation about this I searched for a while trying to find someone else who had done this with pint jars but was unable to do find anyone so I posted also aside from the splitting of the cakes do you think it'd work if I grew them in pint jars like I talked about above and if not is there anyway I could use the jars still maybe just fill them half full thanks for any help and comments that are posted all is appreciated.......

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecantankerous

Loc: hidden in your terrarium
Re: Experimental any suggestions would be happily take [Re: BleedingSickness]
    #792457 - 08/02/02 10:17 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

bleeding,

yeah just double the recipe, no need to cut the cakes or do anything else. just expect colonization to take a little longer.

OfflineBleedingSickness
Friend OfAttention Whore
Re: Experimental any suggestions would be happily take [Re: cantankerous]
    #792464 - 08/02/02 10:22 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

One of my friends cut his half-pint cakes in half and he nearly doubled his fruit that was the only reason I was really considering cutting them to increase the fruiting

OfflineShdwstr
FSRCanada
Male

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Experimental any suggestions would be happily [Re: BleedingSickness]
    #792467 - 08/02/02 10:23 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Yes, it will work.
I would suggest using an extra (5th) innoculation hole in the center to help the colonization.
Fill your jars to the top using a verm barrier. When they are done, you can cut them in half as cakes, or crumble and case.

Offlinecantankerous

#792475 - 08/02/02 10:25 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

if your looking to increase yeild then case em.

OfflineBleedingSickness
Friend OfAttention Whore
    #792503 - 08/02/02 10:42 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I am a little bit hesistant about casing right now because of the extra chances for contamination so far I've never had single cake contaminated in two batches of 6 cakes each which flushed on average about three times so I'm still an beginner I'd like a lil more experience before I attempt casing but I am a very experimental person I'm not afraid to lose a few crops to advancements in shroom-growing after I get going a lil better I'd gladly join everyone in the advanced forums. I want to avoid minimal bruising of my cakes when I split them too I suppose there's a forum around here that talks about that though I must say this is the most informative site that I have ever came in contact with I read and read and read for hour upon hour before I finally settled on the Pf-tek method I made my own terranium out of a ten-gallon fish tank with perculite in the bottom about two inches with an aquarium pump cased in a tupaware container it's worked pretty nice so far. Thank you for all the help you've offered so far in other forums I would have had to wait for about three days to a week to get a reply but this one is over the top!!!!

Offlinecantankerous

#792527 - 08/02/02 10:53 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

bleeding,

i understand your hesitation with casing. for your first time use straight verm. i also use pint jars and i take three jars and split them into two mini casings. i case them in those ziploc plastic containers that you get at the store for like 3 bucks. the fit 1.5 cakes in them perfectly ( pint jars). straight verm casing is hard to mess up, just sterilize the wet verm in the microwave for about a minute and youll be fine, also use gloves to break up the cakes. i think youll be happy with the increase in yeild when you get to that point.

OfflineBleedingSickness
Friend OfAttention Whore
    #792545 - 08/02/02 11:01 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I researched into some casing methods about two days ago read for once again about three hours hehe I don't mind reading stuff here it interests me, umm I think i will just go for it and try the casing hope for the best I"m sure things should work out fine though since so far no contams have made their way into my system although I'll have to adapt because of my pint jars hehe damn hardware stores anyway. But thank you for your help I really do appreciate it I always try to research everything before posting to save everyone's valuable time.

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
    #792707 - 08/02/02 12:49 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I was exactly the same, man. I totally know where you're coming from. But seriously, casing fucking rocks. the yields are much better, and it's just cooler to watch.

i'd give it a go, if i were you. Check out "casing for dummies" on mycotopia.net -- can't mess that one up. I've never lost a pure vermi casing to contams, and i've never sterilized the vermi.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

Invisibleutopianglory
Spunkmuffin
Re: Experimental any suggestions would be happily [Re: Raadt]
    #792806 - 08/02/02 02:13 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Personally I would go with straight peat or 50/50 peat/verm mix if I was you . Its no harder to use peat than verm and its cheaper.

OfflineBleedingSickness
Friend OfAttention Whore
Re: Experimental any suggestions would be happily take [Re: Raadt]
    #792812 - 08/02/02 02:15 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I'm going to go for the straight vermiculite casing method that beatle talked about it sounds pretty fullproof and I read casing for dummies just a lil while ago as well as about two other guides on casing that i'd missed the day before If all goes well I'm sure I'll be happy with what I get haha you posted the same time I did so I just now got to see your message Glory I'll look into peat I still have about a week and a half before I have to do the casing so I have plenty of time to look into things

Edited by BleedingSickness (08/02/02 02:18 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Injection Grain Bag