Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecrazycanadian
Stranger

Loc: infront of a monitor
UV light?
    #1701920 - 07/10/03 08:00 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I head that blue light was good for shrooms. Would it be good to use a blacklight since they peak in the blue spectrum of the electromagnetic radiation?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: UV light? [Re: crazycanadian]
    #1701921 - 07/10/03 08:01 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

there was some study that found that just about any kind of light is OK, with the exception of a blacklight.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Trusted Cultivator
    #1701925 - 07/10/03 08:08 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

I head that blue light was good for shrooms. Would it be good to use a blacklight since they peak in the blue spectrum of the electromagnetic radiation?

Like I told you in another thread, don't use UV light.

You'll get pins and fruit under UV but your mushrooms will undergo genetic damage that will show up several generations down the line. If you're not printing and you just grow from purchased syringes, UV light will work, I suppose, since you will not be propagating the genetic line, but unless you have a good reason to use UV (like stealth) use ordinary light.

Nice, diffuse, natural light from a window for a few minutes to a few hours a day is plenty; and it's histogram is already optimized for growing everything on Earth. You can't beat nature.

-Diploid

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

InvisibleAinasko
Oksania
Re: UV light? [Re: Diploid]
    #1702007 - 07/10/03 09:00 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

The purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate the value of various lights in relation to pinning duration's and fruiting.

Types of lighting used:

100 watt High Pressure Sodium (HPS)
100 watt Metal Halide (MH)
100 watt incandescent Gro-Light
28 watt fluorescent
28 watt fluorescent ultra violet

The fluorescents are of a lower wattage, but remain at the industry standard for lumen comparison with incandescent.

The temperature was kept at a constant 77 degrees and humidity maintained at 95%.

Useable light energy for plant growth is measured in Micro-Einstein's which are micro-mols of photons per meter squared per second.

To maintain consistency during this experiment, the distance between light source and material was maintained at 300 Micro-Einstein's as measured by a borrowed Quantum reader. 300 Micro-Einstein's was chosen as this is the industry standard minimum for indoor plant growth.

10 half pint jars were prepared and inoculated. 3 cups vermiculite. 2 cups brown rice flower. 3 cups water.

Koh Samui was chosen for this experiment because it was readily available and quick colonization. This is my regular spore of choice for experimentation as I'm familiar with its growth characteristics.

All jars were inoculated at the same time from the same syringe using the same spore print. Cakes were chosen to maintain consistency and for easy viewing of pins.

Two jars each were used for each light source in the event of contamination.

The growing area was divided and each sampling was placed in a separate light proof area. Each light source was timer controlled and set to activate one hour every six hours for a total of four daily hours.

A brief description of each will be followed by the results and commentary.

100 watt High Pressure Sodium (HPS) - HPS lights are a brighter full range light with spectrums of white, blue, red and orange. Red and orange are most desirable for fruiting (or budding) plants using photosynthesis. The only problem associated with this light source was the intense heat associated with it. To maintain 300 Micro-Einstein's, a distance of 4.2 feet was necessary. To maintain 77 degrees, the exhaust fans were left on throughout the process and additional air-conditioning was used.

100 watt Metal Halide (MH) - MH lights are rich in white and blue spectrums desirable during vegetation of plants using photosynthesis. Heat was also a negative factor with the MH lamp and a distance of 3.8 feet was necessary to maintain 300 Micro-Einstein's. Again, constant exhaust fanning and AC was needed.

100 watt incandescent Gro-Light - Incandescent Gro Lights produce light spectrums of white, blue, red and orange. All spectrums necessary for vegetative growth and fruiting, but do so in tiny amounts. To maintain 300 Micro-Einstein's, a distance of 4 inches was necessary. A smaller fan was used to dissipate heat.

28 watt fluorescent Gro-Light - The light spectrum was almost identical to the incandescent, with slightly more white light which would benefit photosensitive plants during their vegetative state. The problem associated with this light source was the low lumen output. A distance of 1 inch was needed to maintain 300 Micro-Einstein's. At this distance, temperature was not of a negative issue because of the fluorescents efficiency.

28 watt fluorescent ultra violet - This was a true ultraviolet light source, not the "black light" bulb. Micro-Einsteins for this light source were measured at . 025. Maintaining the Micro-Einsteins minimum of 300 was not possible, but the bulb was still used and placed as close to the birthed cake as possible without touching. Less than a quarter inch.

My original hypothesis was that the lumen intensity of the HPS and MH would induce faster pinning, but was demonstrated wrong.

With the exception of the ultraviolet lamp, each of the remaining four light sources had near identical pin growth, timing and fruit completion. Pins for each were plus or minus 4.

Each pinned within 24 hours of the others with the fluorescent pinning first followed by the MH, incandescent and HPS.

The ultraviolet lamp slowed pinning and stunted carpophore growth.

For green plants that require photosynthesis an incandescent or fluorescent Gro-Light would work well with germination and seedling stages, but the low lumen output would create stretching of vegetative green plants as they grew taller in an attempt to gather more light.

For green plants using photosynthesis, they thrive with white and blue spectrums. A MH would serve this purpose well and would also produce acceptable lumens to reduce plant stretching. Fruiting green plants would thrive with a spectrum of red and orange. For this reason, switching to a HPS or supplementing with an HPS during fruiting of green plants would benefit most.

My findings for this experiment was that no light source had advantage over another in pinning or fruiting. Additionally, there were no noticeable differences in potency or yield.

I've been using a weak 50 watt incandescent bulb set to activate for one hour every six hours for a total of four hours daily. After my demonstrated results I will continue to do so as there is no advantage given to any tested light source.

--------------------
Ainasko is my name backwards. I'm a girl!

Offlinecrazycanadian
Stranger

Loc: infront of a monitor
Re: UV light? [Re: Ainasko]
    #1702094 - 07/10/03 09:57 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks Ainasko for the usefull info. I think i will go with a fluorescent or an incandecent gro light. I already have one of those

OfflinePsilocybin_monkey
Shroomer

Loc: Dragon's Den
    #1702508 - 07/10/03 12:32 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

This section is a short section, because there is not much to it.
As long as there is a window in the room, there will be sufficient light for your mushrooms to grow. In fact all your mushrooms really need is a few minutes of light a day to grow. All they need the light for is to know which way is up so they know which way to grow, but the amount of light given will not affect wether you get mushrooms or not.

The heigth of your mushrooms will also not be determined by the amount of light provided. Sometimes mushrooms will grow longer if they have less light.
One way to use light to your advantage though, is by using blue light as your number 1 source of light.

Blue light has proven to be the best spectrum for mushrooms, than any other spectrum on Earth. Shown to stimulate upward growth, speed of growth, and overall health.
What is mostly recommended for use is blue LED lights, but LED lights are really hard to find, and they are really really tiny, so you would need A LOT of them to even make a difference in your chamber. So forget LED lights.

You can integrate the use of blue light by choosing a blue container as your growth chamber. The kind that isn't transparent, but will still let light through. This way, any and all light that enters the growth chamber will turn blue.
:smile:
You can accent this blue light by placing a fluorescent lightbulb on top of the lid for a few hours a day.

--------------------
Welcome to my world!

OfflineBlackPeace
Self proclaimed CEO
Male

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: UV light? [Re: Psilocybin_monkey]
    #7919410 - 01/23/08 11:13 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

A blue filter will only remove all the other color spectrum but the blue one. If you use a light without any blue in it the will be no light that pass through.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: UV light? [Re: BlackPeace]
    #7919621 - 01/23/08 12:14 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Use full spectrum light, or a light that is in the higher frequency range. Don't use 'blue' lights or a 'blue' tub. Such is not in any way, shape, or form what the mycelium needs to perform well. The use of 'blue' led's or blue tubs is based on a misunderstanding of what Stamets was talking about in GGMM when he recommended high frequency lights, such as natural daylight fluorescent.

This has all been covered ad-nauseam in previous light threads. It absolutely amazes me that people still repeat the 'any light will do' or 'if you can see, your mushrooms have enough light', or 'only a few minutes is enough' etc., etc. If one is satisfied with shitty pinsets, the above is true. If you're less than satisfied with shitty pinsets, use a light in the 6,500 Kelvin range. Incandescent grow lights are one of the worst possible choices.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineDoctorRobert
Are YouExperienced?
Male

Loc: Boulder, Colorado
Re: UV light? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7919663 - 01/23/08 12:27 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Get yourself a couple 13W/6500K Spiral CFLs.

http://www.bulbs.com/Compact_Fluorescent_Screw--in/Daylight_White-/results.aspx

On a side note, I believe it was a black-light that PF used to attain that albino strain.

--------------------
If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach a man to cultivate mushrooms, you feed his mind for a lifetime.

www.groworganic.com

www.hydroponics.net/i/200002

www.bulbs.com/Compact_Fluorescent_Screw--in/Daylight_White-/results.aspx

Edited by DoctorRobert (01/23/08 01:38 PM)

OfflineDiahni
Stranger

Re: UV light? [Re: BlackPeace]
    #25054614 - 03/10/18 01:58 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Just an idea - you can find blue led Christmas lights on amazon cheap.

Invisibleelasticaltiger
Like Tigers in Coitus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: UV light? [Re: Diahni]
    #25054695 - 03/10/18 02:46 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Holy shit. 14 year old thread lol

--------------------
First time growing cakes? DON'T make a Shotgun Fruiting Chamber

The Shmuvbox. - The Old TC's Like it :shrug:

Afraid to Start Growing From Your Own Prints? Drop it Like a Tiger!
No Pouring. No Syringes. No Cutting. No flaming. No Contamination. No Bullshit.

"The best thing to do while your waiting is to start more stuff. I usually got so much happening that I have tossed projects simply because I didn't have time for them. -Pastywhite QFT

Pastywhite's Easy Agar Tek (PastyPlates)

Tiger Drop Video Demos By munchauzen

Van Gogh would’ve sold more than one painting if he’d put tigers in them.―Bill Watterson

EZEKIEL 23:20

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures