Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
More "Propaganda" Quotes...
    #791856 - 08/02/02 05:45 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Benjamin Franklin
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Albert Einstein
The minority, the ruling class at present, has the schools and press, usually the Church as well, under its thumb. This enables it to organize and sway the emotions of the masses, and make its tool of them.

Thomas Jefferson
I hope we shall take warning from the example of England and crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations which dare already to challenge our Government to trial and bid defiance to the laws of our country

Thomas Jefferson
"It's better to debate an issue without settling it, than to settle an issue without debate." "The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of the lending institutions and moneyed incorporations."

AND PERHAPS THE BEST
Thomas Jefferson
" i sincerly belive that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies
Thomas Jefferson 1816
The country is headed toward a single and splendid government of an aristocracy founded on banking institution and monied incorporations and if this tendency continues it will be the end of freedom and democracy, the few will be ruling and riding over the plundered plowman and the begger in the omenry

And me personal favourite...

George Bush, Sr.
"I never apologize for the United States of America, I don't care what the facts are."

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinepolitikill
journeyman

Loc: THC, Canada
Re: More "Propaganda" Quotes... [Re: Rono]
    #791877 - 08/02/02 06:12 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Good quotes Rono!
Jefferson is one of the most bastardized political theorists, up there with Adam Smith. Both get mis-quoted often and both were pretty cool theorists, it's too bad that often they get used to justify interest.
Here are some Adam Smith quotes, the so called "Grandfather of Capitalism":
Adam Smith
It is only under the shelter of the civil magistrate that the owner of valuable property...can sleep a single night in security

Adam Smith
The government of an exclusive company of merchants is, perhaps, the worst of all governments for any country whatsoever

Adam Smith
Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.

Source:
Adam Smith
Our merchants and master manufacturers complain much of the bad effects of high wages in raising the price, and thereby lessening the sale of their goods both at home and abroad. They say nothing concerning the bad effects of high profits. They are silent with regard to the pernicious effects of their own gains. They complain only of those of other people.

Source: Wealth of Nations, chapter 9
Adam Smith
Wealth, as Mr. Hobbes says, is power.

Source: The Wealth of Nations
Adam Smith
No society can surely be flourishing and happy of which the greater part of the member are poor and miserable.

Adam Smith
Whenever the legislature attempts to regulate the difference between masters and their workmen, its counsellors are always the masters. When the regulation, therefore, is in favor of the workmen it is always just and equitable; but it is sometimes otherwise when in favor of the master.

Adam Smith
All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.

Source: An Inquiry Into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations
Adam Smith
In a society of an hundred thousand families, there will perhaps be one hundred who don't labour at all, and who yet, either by violence, or by the more orderly oppression of law, employ a greater part of the labour of society than any other ten thousand in it. The division of what remains, too, after this enormous defalcation, is by no means made in proportion to the labour of each individual. On the contrary those who labour most get least. The opulent merchant, who spends a great part of his time in luxury and entertainments, enjoys a much greater proportion of the profits of his traffic, than all the Clerks and Accountants who do the business. These last, again, enjoying a great deal of leisure, and suffering scarce any other hardship besides the confinement of attendance, enjoy a much greater share of the produce, than three times an equal number of artisans, who, under their direction, labour much more severely and assiduously. The artisan again, tho' he works generally under cover, protected from the injuries of the weather, at his ease and assisted by the convenience of innumerable machines, enjoys a much greater share than the poor labourer who has the soil and the seasons to struggle with, and, who while he affords the materials for supplying the luxury of all the other members of the common wealth, and bears, as it were, upon his shoulders the whole fabric of human society, seems himself to be buried out of sight in the lowest foundations of the building.

Source: first draft of Wealth Of Nations

Adam Smith
It was not by gold or by silver, but by labor, that all the wealth of the world was originally purchased.

Aristotle
Democracy [is] when the indigent, and not the men of property, are the rulers.

--------------------
Censorship: ahh, McCarthyism with a smiley face

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
    #792580 - 08/02/02 01:20 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I love that Ben Franklin quote so much that it's been the sig that goes with all my e-mails for some time now.

How about general John Stark during the revolutionary war:
"Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils."

I found this tidbit on him once while net surfing:
As a young man, Stark was captured by Indians while trapping near Rumney, marched to Canada and held prisoner. He used this time to learn the language and ways of his captors. Eventually, the Indians grew to respect Stark's brave, independent attitude. Once they made him run the gauntlet, which he did with a long pole, using it to flay back against the Indians as they beat him with sticks. "I will kiss all your women," he yelled, laughing as he went through. In the end, Stark was ransomed for $103, a sum he quickly repaid through more trapping.

Rono, has hell froze over? For that's when I thought I would like one of your posts. This is a good one.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Re: More "Propaganda" Quotes... [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #792599 - 08/02/02 01:32 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Unfortunately posting my opinions in this forum is always bound to have people on the other side of the fence...you happen to be one of those people for the most part. I'm glad you enjoyed the Thread...this must be one of the signs of the appocolypse...

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Duck Hunt, Enemy Enforcer

Loc: Fire in the sky
    #794842 - 08/03/02 09:35 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Here's another from good old Thomas J.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms [of government] those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson, 1778

--------------------
"If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do."-King Solomon

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion