Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDamn
Psychonaut
 User Gallery

NEWBIE - what strain to get? please help
    #791462 - 08/01/02 09:23 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

i want to order some spores but dont know what strain to get! so many choices, ill be growing indoor and outdoorn here are the options :

Mexican
Ecuador
Golden Teacher
B+
Cambodian
Tasmanian
Plantasia Mystery
Thai Lipa Yai
Treasure Coast
PF Classic
Amazonian, PESA
Thai Koh Samui
Thai Koh Samui T3
Mazatapec
-

yes i know theres alot of choices but please, any favorites? suggestions for a newbie? Thanx people ~ ONE ::B:: S e+e K

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
Re: NEWBIE - what strain to get? please help [Re: Damn]
    #791611 - 08/01/02 10:51 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

First, I need to state that this is purely opinion and you're likely to get a bunch of different answers. I would recommend following the PF Tek and using the PF Classic race for your first attempt.

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

OfflinePSILLYSIMON
ALL CAPS
Loc: texas
    #791645 - 08/01/02 11:32 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

ECUADORS

--------------------
3,2,1, BLASTOFF!!!!

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Re: NEWBIE - what strain to get? please help [Re: PSILLYSIMON]
    #791652 - 08/01/02 11:41 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Ecuador

InvisibleTM
The Mind, The Many, The Music.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Under The Table And Dream...
    #791655 - 08/01/02 11:43 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

In reply to:

Ecuador
Golden Teacher
B+
Cambodian

Any of those will make you quite happy to grow or to consume or both!

--------------------
================================================

"Have some congratulatory drugs." - C. Montgomery Burns

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

TMâ„¢ :cool:

Offlinemushlove666
Stranger
Re: NEWBIE - what strain to get? please help [Re: mickey_rourke]
    #791687 - 08/02/02 12:11 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I have some pan trops colonizing my substrate right now and the tek I used was sooo easy it's ridiculous. Mind you the mycelium hasn't fully colonized, but from the look of things there don't seem to be any contamination AT ALL and it has grown relatively fast. I know that you all are dying to know what my tek is, so here goes:

First off, I am in no way advertising for any company. I've grown mushrooms before using Mushroom Magic's Soulfood Machine which was a little pricey, but it was my first time and it contained everything that I needed to get started. And I do mean EVERYTHING. The only problem was that the instructions were geared toward PC (Instructions were nearly identical to other PC teks) and the second time around I wanted something a little more exotic. So instead of the Grow Media that they now send you (I was a little dissappointed because they have updated their tek and instead of the straw that they used to send they now send a rice mix, which would be okay for PC but for pan trops I needed straw) I ordered straw that was already cut and crushed relatively inexpensively. The kit included the pearlite humidity base which is essential. (Well, for me it is. This way I don't have to keep opening the Aquarium that was included and risk contamination, plus you can put it up and forget about it) Anyway, once I had acquired everything that I needed to grow I ordered a spore print from mushmush. I then inoculated the Liquid Culture (which is also included in the kit called "Liquid Culture Innoculum Powder" which you mix with distilled water and pressure cook, instructions are included) with the spores and placed them in the now empty Aquarium, which was thoroughly washed and sprayed with Lysol, put the cover on and turned on the Magic Heat Lamp(also included in the kit, only it's a red light bulb, but it works) I then proceeded to follow instructions and shake the jars 2-3 times a day and I kept a log of what day and time the jars were swirled and what temperature was maintained inside of the Grow Chamber. After 2 weeks of doing this I had a baseball sized clump of mycelium growing in each jar (WOW!!!) When the jars were ready, I took 300 grams of wheat straw and dumped it into a CLEAN cooler. Next I boiled about 3-4 gallons of water (not sure about exact measurement, just used enough to submerge straw in) and dumped that into the cooler, closed the lid and let it sit for 90 minutes. While the straw was pastuerizing, I measured out 8 cups of composted cow manure ( a 50 lb. bag is about 5 dollars) and enough water and h2o2 mix so that the manure didn't dry out ( you should be able to squeeze the manure in your hand and not have any water drip out) put it into a deep baking pan lined with foil and covered with foil. I made sure that my oven was preset at 350 degrees and I put it in for an hour. When both straw and manure were done I let them cool for about 4 hours. Next I took the jars of mycelium, liquid culture and myceliuml, straw, and manure and mixed thoroughly. Making sure to be as sterile as possible!!! My pearlite had already been soaking in a water and h2o2 mix (instructions are included in kit) and I first lined the bottom with this. Next I added the straw mix and LIGHTLY tamped it down, spreading it even. I did NOT use a casing layer, but I will use one once the substrate is fully colonized. I keep the temperature around 86-88 degrees and I have seen the mycelium (very cottony looking, typical for this species) already beginning to grow. I AM SO EXCITED!!! It has only been a week since I put it all together and it is doing phenomenal. It should be noted that pan trops are a very potent species and are considered a delicacy by some. They are rare and are supposedly difficult to grow because they tend to be picky. Hopefully my tek will make it easier for others to grow theses beauties, for they are so much better than any PC out there. PEACE.

OfflinepsilocybinjunkieM
relaxin
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #791899 - 08/02/02 06:32 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

OK go with The Thai Koh Samui Very easy grows faster and eaiser than any other strain. Highly recommended!
www.thehawkseye.com for the best thai ks spores.
you'll be happy you wen't with them espeecially if it's your first time

OfflineShroomyMcPot
Male

Loc: TX
    #791968 - 08/02/02 07:26 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

TREASURE COAST!!
JUST TRY IT
ITS SUPER FAST

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
Re: NEWBIE - what strain to get? please help [Re: ShroomyMcPot]
    #792017 - 08/02/02 08:03 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

super fast compared to WHAT? Treasure Coast is known as a slower strain. I don't know what you're talking about.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

OfflineBlipKorterly
Blue Thumb
Loc: North America
    #792081 - 08/02/02 08:46 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I've grown Equadors and Cambodians and had pretty good luck with them. But, the Aussies I'm trying lately have been fruiting nicely. They also amazed me with how quickly they colonized in the jars.

--------------------
"Mycologist," he corrected. "And you shoud know the difference, a biologist like yourself. Mushrooms aren't plants. They don't have chlorophyll." --Just a Couple of Days

Offlinepimpadelic
enthusiast
Loc: Chattanooga, TN
Re: NEWBIE - what strain to get? please help [Re: Raadt]
    #792163 - 08/02/02 09:39 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Treasure coast is a fast strain. I don't know what your talkin about

InvisibleEffedS
 User Gallery

Loc: Daylight Slavings
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Damn]
    #792283 - 08/02/02 10:42 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

OfflineBoB
Re: NEWBIE - what strain to get? please help [Re: Effed]
    #792374 - 08/02/02 11:33 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

teasrue coast were frickin slow with the pf tek .... As a newbie i wouldn't choose treasure coast ....
i would recommand
pf classic
or
pesa hawain
or
golden teachers

--------------------
"Son , You keep doing that you're go blind "
"Dad, I'm over here"

Edited by BoB (08/02/02 11:39 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1