Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Portable Greenhouse, Pressure Cooker, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
    #791438 - 08/01/02 09:09 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

im a first time grower and i am about to make my substrate. Does it really matter if i make it in a sterile enviroment since im going to steam them in a pot anyhow. I was aslo wondering if over the top layer of vermiculite if could put either saran wrap or foil to help keep airborn contaminents and other bacteria out. I was going to put that over top, put on the lid and then steam them. Then for the innoculation is was going to tak the jars of substrate and one by one put them in the oven to keep the enviroment sterile and innoculate then put them into a sterile tupperware container. If someone could answer this it would help me out a lot. Does it matter ifyour incubator is sterile? What is a cheap way to keep oxygen and humidity in the air besides fanning and spraying

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Loc: Philadelphia area
Re: HELP!!!! [Re: o0Shroomz0o]
    #791563 - 08/01/02 10:15 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

As long as you properly sterilize your jars after preparing them, it does not matter if you prepare your substrate in a sterile environment. Use reasonable care like clean bowls, utensils, hands, and materials but nothing extravagant. For my jars I used the pf tek of 1/2 inch dry vermiculite on top the wet substrate with foil on top of the lids to prevent nasties from falling in the innoculation holes and so far I have no contamination. I used a pressure cooker and the oven tek when I innoculated with pf classic syringes. I'm at day 15 now with near full colonization and some knots on the mycelium. Again, your terrarium should be clean, but sterility is probably not necessary or possible. You can wipe it down with some alcohol if you're worried. I just put my jars in a new container and have had no problems. I don't think you can get any cheaper than fanning or spraying. You can use a humidifier, fish tank bubbler, or perlite if you want, but none of them are as inexpensive or easy. Has anybody else experienced Deja Vu tonight?

Say, can I have some of your purple berries?
Yes, I've been eating them, for six or seven weeks now, haven't got sick once.

Loc: Here
Re: HELP!!!! [Re: funwithgus]
    #791588 - 08/01/02 10:33 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I used to spray.
But I found perlite. Personally I find it SO easy using perlite. And if you're a cheapo like me, they're reusable.
I just use perlite in those "mini green houses" that's for seed germination and humidification is done by itself.
I actually found that the more I fussed with the mushrooms, the more problems... maybe not problems... but they didn't seem to grow as well.
So I don't deal with how humid or temps, etc.
Afterall, mushrooms do grow in outside of a terrarium.
HOWEVER... in the initial stages, you DO have to be careful. Once they become full grown cakes, they can handle it.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Portable Greenhouse, Pressure Cooker, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation