Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineiiiSENiii
journeyman

Humidification.....
    #790506 - 08/01/02 10:33 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I read about a way to humidify a terrariu,m, but am unsure if its used in conjunction with the standard perlite metghode, or alone. Heres how it goes roughly:

You need: A water pitcher, water, H2O2, perlite, an air pump, and air stone.

What you do is: Fille the water pitcher, about half way with regular water. The n you add perlite. Add it and make sure you push it down, and keep adding it until you reach the point, where if you push the perlite down, you have like 2-3 cinhes of water on top. Then, you add 50ml of H2O2. [thats hydrogen poroxide] This isnt supposed to help with humidification, but instead when evaporated itno the air, can help deture contams. Then, you stick your air stone into the jug, and make sure it stays down, then you attach it to yoru pump, and let it go, 24/7.

This sounds great, and is supposed to keep the terrarium at about 95% it said, if I remember right. It justw asnt clear if this was with standard misting of perlite, or alone. Anyone know?

--------------------
You're in the what now?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecantankerous

Loc: hidden in your terrarium
Re: Humidification..... [Re: iiiSENiii]
    #790514 - 08/01/02 10:40 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

the post is kinda confusing but... if your lucky and dont live in rel. humidity of 30% or < year round ( lucky bastards) you can usually get away with just adding a layer of about 1.5 inches of moist perlite on the bottom of your terr. now if your like me and cant acheive high humidity because of atmospheric conditions then also add in a bubbler in the manner you described although a pitcher sounds a bit large for a terrarium. does this answer your question?

InvisibleTM
The Mind, The Many, The Music.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Under The Table And Dream...
    #790518 - 08/01/02 10:41 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

That sounds like a really good tek. I'll tell you why... The bubbles from the stone need to work their way to the suface slowly through the perlite thereby causing them to be smaller and slower reaching the top which prevents spatter when they pop. Also, the H2O2 will eliminate the problem of having standing water introduce contams, but you said that.

I'd use this tek exclusive of wet perlite additionally. No need for both.

--------------------
================================================

"Have some congratulatory drugs." - C. Montgomery Burns

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

TM™ :cool:

OfflineiiiSENiii
journeyman

Re: Humidification..... [Re: TM]
    #790527 - 08/01/02 10:45 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I hear ya beatle, but what Im looking to avoid is the perlite misting methode. If need be Ill do it, as its not that hard, but this said it will allow for like 95% humidity, and will also mean you wont need to fan, reducing any of the small possibilities of contams. Im pretty sure it emant 95% humidity alone, but I wanna make sure.

And yeah, a water jug would be a bit big, I think the goal however would be to get somethign at least a bit large then a cup. Perhaps a pickle jar or soemthing...

--------------------
You're in the what now?

OfflineFanaTEK
Slave to theShroom

Loc: Midwest, US
    #790530 - 08/01/02 10:45 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Interesting idea - forced air and water through perlite. I would worry that this might oversaturate the perlite, though, and reduce the capillary action that makes it wick water off. Many people do the same thing, except without the perlite.

The H2O2 is actually meant to help filter out contams coming in from outside through the air pump. I don't know if it's actually distributed throughout the terrarium.

How you humidify your setup really depends on the size of your terrarium, your growing environment (my cat's house is AC'ed, which sucks the humidity out of the ambient air, making extra humidification necessary), and your project (cakes are good at 99% humidity, while casings are better around 90%).

My cat prefers to have a layer of perlite on the bottom of all of his terrariums (unless the terrarium IS the tray for the casing) either for primary humidification or to catch and re-evaporate condensation dripping from the sides (instead of letting it sit stagnant).

FanaTEK

--------------------
Read the FAQ!
Read !

InvisibleTM
The Mind, The Many, The Music.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Under The Table And Dream...
Re: Humidification..... [Re: FanaTEK]
    #790539 - 08/01/02 10:49 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

In reply to:

to catch and re-evaporate condensation dripping from the sides (instead of letting it sit stagnant).

An excellent point Fan!

--------------------
================================================

"Have some congratulatory drugs." - C. Montgomery Burns

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

TM™ :cool:

OfflineiiiSENiii
journeyman

Re: Humidification..... [Re: TM]
    #790548 - 08/01/02 10:55 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Well, my terrarium, wont be too large. It will be big enough to house two pans containing to cakes, and oen with three. (Im gonna use casings) So Im pretty sure, one of those large rubbermaid conatiners will hosue the two with the 2 cakes, and maybe a seperate one for the oen with the 3.

Perlite would be easy, just this way seems so idiot proof, and plsu Im not home all day long to fan/mist.

--------------------
You're in the what now?

Offlineyogurt
Stranger
    #857470 - 09/01/02 04:17 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

i'm using casings and i had too much humidity so now i run an air pump with a line going ontop of the perlite which is an inch deep. my casings take up most of the terrarium though.

oh yah all i do is pick fruits

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom