Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedonpatch
purukogi...purukogi...

Re: casing material q? [Re: thedefone]
    #7889069 - 01/16/08 04:49 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

yea i thought fastfred was wrong about some coir not having trich.... nice research def

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineThe shroomy 1
Luminous beings surround me
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Aether
Trusted Cultivator
    #7889100 - 01/16/08 04:56 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

"speachless"  Thanks "Thedefone".  >"looks at his last brick of coir< :crankey:

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

OfflineSuchSmartMonkeys
mycologically driven individual
Male User Gallery

Re: casing material q? [Re: The shroomy 1]
    #7897288 - 01/18/08 12:45 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

okay....so back to the matter of bulk substrates and casings.....? I found some stuff that may be of interest at the hardware store yesterday. i was looking for potential bulk substrates and found a compost mix that the ingredients were: aged and processed hardwood bark and sawdust, composted animal manures, dried poultry waste, and feather meal. Would this be a good bulk substrate if i mixed in something like straw or vermiculite or something of the like to give it a little more body/air space? I can't remember the brand of it, but it was all organic, looked like good stuff...

--------------------
[url=http:

Edited by SuchSmartMonkeys (01/18/08 12:58 PM)

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: casing material q? [Re: SuchSmartMonkeys]
    #7898169 - 01/18/08 04:38 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Trichodcerma spp. is not helpful to plants. I have written the two links you posted to inform them of this. Normal coir should not be significantly contaminated with trich, nor would I think that anyone would waste their time adding it to coir. Trich is a parasitic fungus and would not be terribly easy to culture.

-FF

Invisiblethedefone
deus ex machina

Loc: Gondwana
Re: casing material q? [Re: fastfred]
    #7902027 - 01/19/08 02:34 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Would this be a good bulk substrate if i mixed in something like straw or vermiculite or something of the like to give it a little more body/air space?

Sounds okay to me, but I don't really know much about composts. I would be sure to do as you suggest, and add some vermiculite to keep it nice and airy. It would probably help it retain moisture as well. Give it a shot.

Quote:

Trichodcerma spp. is not helpful to plants. I have written the two links you posted to inform them of this. Normal coir should not be significantly contaminated with trich, nor would I think that anyone would waste their time adding it to coir. Trich is a parasitic fungus and would not be terribly easy to culture.

FastFred. I really don't want to come off as a dick, but just a little research shows that you're way, way off on this one. Below are some more links to some more sites that sure seem to be pretty in the know on this subject. More than me anyway. Read them if you want, but they say pretty clearly that trich is good for plant growth.

Grapevine Trich -X- Fourth paragraph under "Coir" -X- Science Daily -X- Agricultural Uses -X- Potting Mix Beats Fungicides -X- Rutopia+ M

So, I guess my point is that there is trichoderma in your coir. Pasteurize it, or sterilize it... or else.

--------------------

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Luminous beings surround me
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Aether
Trusted Cultivator
    #7902066 - 01/19/08 02:46 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I wish Blutjagger would comment on this topic since he regularly uses Coir in his bulk substrates.

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: casing material q? [Re: The shroomy 1]
    #7902906 - 01/19/08 06:42 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Maybe I'm wrong. Thanks for the links.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate