Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinefazdazzle
Wanderer

Looking up lyrics to songs...
    #7884208 - 01/15/08 04:00 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Whats up...so I have a question for those of you who listen to music with lyrics - do you look up the lyrics? often? never? sometimes?

I'm not sure if I have a problem interpreting words, but I have a hard time hearing what artists are singing about, unless it's quite clear. I hate having to look up lyrics but for some stuff I just have to.

I have been listening to a lot of incubus lately and it seems like brandons wild singing and voice alterations make it hard for me to follow the lyrical trail (Make Yourself being an exception). Thom Yorke is really hard for me to interpret, though OK Computer is pretty easy for me and I like it, which makes me want to listen to all of Radiohead's stuff but it just get frustrating at a point.

Do artists expect us to look up lyrics? Is that why some feel free to express themselves so unintelligibly?

Hmmm...am I alone on this? or do all people approach music like this?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
Loc: Ohio Flag
Re: Looking up lyrics to songs... [Re: fazdazzle]
    #7884218 - 01/15/08 04:01 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

www.songmeanings.net

I look up lyrics a lot, and that's pretty much always the site I go to.

--------------------
!

OfflineJraft
Psychonaut inTraining
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Nova Scotia, Canada
    #7884666 - 01/15/08 05:23 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Haha. As soon as I saw this post I was going to post about Radiohead. But I see you already listen to them. I would consider their lyrics to be some of the hardest to understand. There's nothing wrong with looking up the lyrics in my opinion. I love reading along to the lyrics of Radiohead songs while I'm listening to them. the lyrics are, afterall, meant to be interpreted and are a very important aspect of most lyrical songs. So feel no shame in looking them up if you have difficulty hearing them, or instead, try listening more carefully.

To make myself clear I am talking about ACTUAL bands, I am hoping your not talking about like some MTV-poprock band that doesn't even write their own lyrics. But if you're a Radiohead fan, I highly doubt you are into any of that bullshit.
Have Fun!:thumbup::teleport:

--------------------

Offlinegeedorah
CHOPPN SCIM
Male User Gallery

Loc: Close to the edge
    #7885148 - 01/15/08 06:57 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Winamp has a great plugin that shows the lyrics of the song you are listening to.

I'll read the lyrics after hearing a song for the first time. I usually focus on the music at first, and knowing the lyrics can sometimes reveal parts you don't hear at first.

--------------------

OfflineCosmicFool
Psychoholic
 User Gallery

Loc: 203 Flag
    #7885299 - 01/15/08 07:22 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I may go years before looking up lyrics for songs or a may look up lyrics after a few listens.

Most of the time I'll look up the lyrics after talking w/ a friend about how we don't know what the singer is saying. It's also cool to look up a song and find you were way off.

--------------------

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

Re: Looking up lyrics to songs... [Re: CosmicFool]
    #7891698 - 01/17/08 02:49 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Me too foo'. Many of my favorite albums from years back I don't even really know what a lot of the lyrics are (Siamese Dream anyone?), even though I will full on sing along with it. Some albums I know almost, if not, every word, it just depends. Sometime I don't like to know what the lyrics are, other times I want to read them when I first get an album. When I was younger I often didn't want to know what a band looked like, now I don't really care or would prefer to see what they looked like.

I think for the purposes of singing along to music, sometime it's great to know the lyrics but sometimes it seems to remove part of the magic. Maybe because it reduces a full spectrum of reflective ideas of what you possibly think the lyrics might be about down to the singularity of what they actually are. I tend to prefer when lyrics impart a meaning or story line but I can't in way say that the best lyrics must do this.

I even think it's possible to sing along relatively accurately to certain music without even knowing most of the lyrics, even when those lyrics are relatively verbose. Like this one for instance: I be the anti-myth rhythm rock shocker. Of course I probably could have figured that one out by listening more closely a few times years ago. But I didn't, I looked it up just now. I look up lyrics pretty often but not in any pattern I can discern.

Jump to top Pages: 1

PhytoExtractum Shop: Buy Bali Kratom Powder