Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleCrasher
αἱρετίζω
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Tardy to the Party
CC 5 lb bag of crap and Rye
    #7878377 - 01/14/08 01:34 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

An old friend rang me up today, out of the blue, and very grumpily asked why his five pound bag of rye and hpoo hadn't even shown growth after 6 days.

He used a:
glovebox
Shroomery sponsor syringe
TiT at 80 degrees
2 cc's through self healing inoculation point.
he inoculated on 1/8/08

I told him I've never used crap bags before, so i present the question to you- thoughts?

--------------------
Give me silence, water, hope;
Give me struggle, iron, volcanoes...

Edited by Crasher (01/14/08 01:35 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCrasher
αἱρετίζω
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: CC 5 lb bag of crap and Rye [Re: Crasher]
    #7879140 - 01/14/08 04:43 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I'll pose it a different way. has anyone had experience with hpoo bags and was the colonization time different than with quart jars?

--------------------

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#7879318 - 01/14/08 05:13 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I just voiced my opinion accurately in this >> http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/7877682#7877682 thread

OfflineWronguy

Trusted Cultivator
    #7879409 - 01/14/08 05:33 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Crasher, I'm assuming you're referring to Cultivating Concepts when you reference "CC". First and foremost, 6 days is not a lot of time to see growth. In most cases you'll barely have spore germination by the 5 day mark. I have first hand experience with these bags and can tell you that you need more time.

A couple of observations I made. The temperature of the bag is way too high. You need to keep temps around 70-75 or room temperature. Manure based substrates always produce their own heat during nutrient metabolism and I've seen increases upwards of 12 degrees from colonization alone.

The amount of spore solution seems low to me as well. I always recommend 5-8CC of spore solution when using large substrate bags. Do a direct comparison with grains if you like. The average quart jar usually requires about 1/2-1CC of spore solution. You have a bag that holds around 6-8 quarts of substrate. As you can see by this comparison you would have similar results using a lot more spore solution than you did.

We also don't know the viability of the spore syringe, so your comments are a little premature and very unfair to the vendor of the substrate bag.

Blutjager, I read your comments in that thread, but I have to tell you that I can't see why you're having failures with substrate bags. I think you should take a hard look at your methods or order some bags from a trusted source perhaps. I've been using bags for years and I honestly can't see how anyone wastes time doing other methods (no offense intended to anyone). I personally prefer bags and grow pounds of mushrooms. My contaminate rate, from pasteurizing to using sterile substrates, went from 15% failures to less than 1%!

I would be willing to help you here Crasher, but you've got to hang in there. I would also like to see some photos here to help us in your friend's success. More details please.

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: CC 5 lb bag of crap and Rye [Re: Wronguy]
    #7879450 - 01/14/08 05:42 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Yea,I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong with the bags either,they just were so slow that I was ready to toss them as stalled. I did make them myself,I did rye spawned to Hpoo and I also did a cracked corn grow to hpoo and experienced the same slow growth both times and just came to the realization that jars work better for me

InvisibleCrasher
αἱρετίζω
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: CC 5 lb bag of crap and Rye [Re: Blutjager]
    #7880004 - 01/14/08 07:23 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Thank you gentlemen, I'll present these opinions and see what happened. 2 cc's, I agree, was a bit frugal, but my friend had a lot of substrate to inoculate and little solution to use.

I did not mean to judge the viability of these bags, as I understand the amount of patience required with most mycological endeavors.

Blu, Wronguy- many thanks!

--------------------

OfflineWronguy

Trusted Cultivator
    #7880300 - 01/14/08 08:22 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

No sweat Crasher. It sounds like his circumstances were not ideal, yet he seems to be expecting optimal results. As I stated earlier, I can help steer you in the right direction as things progress.

Blutjager, shoot me a PM if you like and I can give you a good recipe that will change your outlook on bags forever. You'll have to go from pasteurizing to sterilizing, but it's well worth it. Let me know.

Invisiblemonstermitch
Growing in Bags Doesn't Work

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Arizona Bay Flag
    #7881738 - 01/15/08 04:06 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

6 days?
come on now

and the TiT is a terrible idea.
never incubate a substrate bag.

leave it on a wire shelf with room to breathe.

--------------------

Offlineoysterguy63
60's child

Loc: God's Country
Re: CC 5 lb bag of crap and Rye [Re: monstermitch]
    #7882061 - 01/15/08 07:48 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

P A T I E N C E is my only suggestion.

--------------------
Oysters...yuummmmm

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order