Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
Loc: Ohio Flag
Jewunit's beginners guide to hip-hop
    #7877950 - 01/14/08 11:53 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Every two weeks or so someone comes in here and posts "I just heard Immortal Technique and I really like it. What else should I listen to?" or something to that effect. Frankly I'm tired of typing out a list of artists that I enjoy listening to every single time that post inevitably comes, so I decided to make this post. Now I can just simply copy/paste it as a reply.

Don't take this is a strict guide of what to listen to. I haven't heard it all, I don't have the time to listen to every single thing I get recommended to right away. Music is also subjective, so I may like some things you guys may not, or you may like some things I may not. This is just simply a listing of what I would recommend to people just getting into hip hop/rap (mainly underground which is all anyone posts about here anyway.)

Without further ado, here is a list of artists and groups I recommend to those of you looking to expand your horizons:

MF Doom - Very well may be my personal favorite MC. Works under plenty of aliases (Viktor Vaughn, King Geedorah, Zev Love X, produces under Metal Fingers, and others.) Listen to Operation: Doomsday.

Aesop Rock - One of the many talented and popular artists off of the Definitive Jux record. Def Jux is where I got my start listening to hip hop, and it's probably the most popular underground label. A lot of people like to think they're cool or hip or some shit because they know about Def Jux artists. Don't let yourself fall into this, while Def Jux has a lot of strong people, they also have weak shit in my opinion, and there is sooooo much great stuff beyond Def Jux. My favorite Aesop works are actually before he was on Def Jux though. Food for Earthworms and Appleseed are a little harder to find, since they were before he was anything, but definitely my two favorite releases by him.

Since I just mentioned Aesop, I'll mention the rest of the Def Jukies that I enjoy.

Mr. Lif - One of the two first people I started listening to. More politically minded, and he has sick dreads.

Akrobatik - The other person I first started listening to. His old stuff is awesome in my mind, pure boom-bap braggadocio, but still clever.

Together with DJ Fakts one, Mr. Lif and Akrobatik (they're both from Boston, by the way, and have been doing stuff together forever) form the group (supergroup in some people's minds) The Perceptionists. Their first LP was pretty critically hailed, even by the glossy magazines like Rolling Stone.

Murs is solid, someone I definitely don't listen to enough. Together with 9th Wonder he puts out some really good albums.

El-P - Owner of Def Jux. Used to be part of Company Flow (check them out too, good shit.) Probably best known for his spacey and futuristic production, he also can do a decent job on the microphone. His newest album, I'll Sleep When You're Dead, or his first one, Fantastic Damage, are both worth checking out.

Cannibal Ox - Only put out one album in 2001, The Cold Vein produced by El-P, but it's still a fantastic album. Cannibal Ox is made up of Vast Air, who still releases solo albums and does other work, and Vordul Mega.

Cage - I'm not a huge fan of his, but I'd say he's worth checking out if you're looking for new stuff to get into. He's kind of an angsty white dude (similar to Eminem in some ways) and he's good, just not necessarily what I like. I do own some of his shit though, I would recommend checking out Hell's Winter, his debut on Def Jux, or any of his earlier stuff.

And, my personal favorite, Del the Funkee Homosapien. He just signed to Def Jux recently I'm pretty sure, and he's fucking awesome. A lot of people on these boards would include him as one of their favorite rap artists. Also raps under the alias Deltron 3030. If you've heard the Gorillaz song Clint Eastwood then you've heard Del before (he does the rapping part, if you couldn't figure that out.)

Moving from Def Jux, but flowing from Del, is the group Hieroglyphics, which Del is a member of. Check out their album Full Circle, it's pretty good.

Of course there's the legendary Wu-Tang Clan. For a whole group, I would recommend starting where they started, with Enter the Wu-Tang: 36 Chambers. Classic fucking album. They just released a new album for the first time in a while, too, called 8 Diagrams. Definitely worth checking out.

When it comes to solo Wu-Tang, nothing beats GZA's Liquid Swords. In my opinion it's the best hip-hop/rap album ever. Nothing tops it. It's produced by RZA (Wu's legendary producer) so the beats solid too.

Ghostface Killah may be my favorite Wu member overall. His three most recent LP's, The Big Doe Rehab, More Fish, and Fishscale (from newest to oldest) are all solid albums, More Fish is a little weaker than the other two though, so start with Big Doe and Fishscale.

Inspectah Deck, U-God, Masta Killa, Raekwon the Chef make up the rest of the remaining Wu-Tang members, along with the deceased (:sad:) Ol' Dirty Bastard. There are also tons of Wu-Tang affiliates, including my favorite Cappadonna. Since I don't feel like writing all day about Wu and their affiliates you can find plenty of info on all of that shit on Wikipedia. Just go to Wu-Tangs page and wander from there.

Next is the legendary Roots. Awesome, awesome hip-hop. It's a full band, the most notable member is ?uestlove the drummer. If you've seen a big dude with a shitty 'fro and a pick talking about rap/hip-hop on VH1 or MTV, chances are it was him. They also have a bassist, keyboardist, percussionist, guitarist, and the MC Blackthought. I don't remember all of the members names, you can look it up if you want. I'd really recommend any album, but lately I've been listening to their newest one Game Theory. Also, if you ever get the chance, check them out live. Kind of like a hip hop jam band, all of the guys are really talented and Kirk (guitarist) can really work the crowd.

A group I'm not too fond of but have a really solid following none-the-less is Jedi Mind Tricks. Along with Lif and Akrobatik these guys really got me into this music, but I rarely listen to them anymore. I'd recommend Violent by Design as a place to start. That was the last album with all three of the members; Jus Allah, Ikon the Verbal Hologram aka Vinny Paz and Stoop the Enemy of Man Kind, who is a pretty solid producer. After this Jus Allah had a big fallout with them and released a shitty solo album and then had a fallout with some other people. Last I checked him and Jedi Mind Tricks have solved their differences, they may even be recording together again, I don't know. Jus was definitely the glue to that group though, everything after VBD is garbage in my mind.

Someone I'm rather fond of that I find really isn't too popular is Tame One. He kinda runs with Cage, they've recorded together before, but I think he's way better. Before he did solo stuff he was one half of Artifacts, a solid semi old school duo worth checking out. As for his solo stuff I would recommend When Rappers Attack, or if you want a more "out there" album check out Spazzmatic, definitely cool but fucking weird.

Probably my favorite rap group would be Cunninlynguists. I absolutely love these guys. Kno, the main producer, puts together awesome fucking beats, and has gotten recognition from pretty major media outlets like URB. Deacon the Villain also does some of the production, but is better known as an MC. Along with those two, who have been on every CL album, is Natti who has been with them for the last few years, and in their early years Mr. SOS was with them. I'd recommend A Piece of Strange. I would put this in my top 3 favorite hip hop albums.

If you're looking for odder shit, along the lines of Spazzmatic if you've checked that out, I would tell you to turn to Kool Keith, more specifically his Dr. Octagon releases. Dr. Octagonecologyst is a classic psychedelic hip hop album, and probably the only one I listen to. When looking for Kool Keith shit you may stumble across Dr. Dooom, don't confuse this with MF Doom, Dr. Dooom is one of Kool Keith's billions of aliases (if you thought MF Doom had a lot, it doesn't even fucking compare to how many Kool Keith has.)

Another one of my favorite artists has to be Edan. Both a producer and MC, he is just awesome. Check out his album Beauty and the Beat. I think he would be my first recommendation to people on these boards. You can also find some pretty sweet videos online of him working the mic and turntables at the same time, which I think is pretty impressive.

Immortal Technique is another oft-mentioned artist when it comes to underground rap, especially on this board. Frankly I'm not nearly as fond of him as a lot of people, but he's still worth checking out. Revolutionary Volume 1 and 2 are both worth checking out.

Jurrasic 5 - Another group I'm not as fond of as most, but once again look into them. Power in Numbers is a good album.

Lupe Fiasco isn't underground really, but I still enjoy both of his albums and would recommend them to people who are looking for new shit.

Blackstar, made up of Mos Def and Talib Kweli is a pretty popular duo. To be honest I don't know if they've released more than one album together, but their solo stuff is also worth checking out. I personally like Talib Kweli far more than Mos Def, but Mos Def's Black on Both Sides is a really popular album. As far as Talib, he just put an album out this year that's been getting lots of praise called Eardrum.

People Under the Stairs is a group that I honestly don't know shit about. I don't even know how I found out about them. All I know is I have a few albums of theirs on my computer, and I really like 'em. Listen to some of there stuff, and look 'em up on Wikipedia if you want to know more, I probably will once I finish this long fucking post.

Platinum Pied Pipers is another group I'm not sure how I found out about, but I really like the shit they put out. I'm pretty sure it's just a production duo from Detroit (maybe I got to them through J Dilla), but if I'm wrong I apologize. Either way check 'em out, cool shit.

As per Mattz request, I'll throw Canibus up on here. Honestly I'm not a huge fan, although I will say that the album Rip the Jacker is pretty fucking solid.

Lastly, three producers I think you should look into.

J Dilla :sad: It's really too bad so many people didn't start finding out about him until after he died. Amazing fucking producer. I don't even know what to recommend, just make sure you listen to his stuff.

Madlib Another awesome producer. Has put out tons of great collaboration albums. My two favorites are Madliberation with Talib Kweli and Madvillainy with MF Doom (together they are known as Madvillain.) He also put out and album with J Dilla under Jaylib, some people like it, some people don't. If I remember correctly Madlib strictly handles the production (I'm sure J Dilla had some say, but it was mostly Madlib) and Dilla stuck to the mic.

Last is Peanut Butter Wolf, who is also the owner of Madlib's label Stone's Throw. He makes some realllllllly weird/spacey shit, but I find it particularly enjoyable if I'm in the mood for it.

So there's a list of places to start looking. It's actually quite shorter than I could have made it. Partially because I didn't want to be writing this all day, partially because I forgot shit, and partially because there's really a lot of great stuff out there (I'm told) that I haven't heard yet. If you read this and there isn't an artist mentioned that you think should be, just leave a reply and if I agree I'll add it to the post. Also, if you think there's a particular album that people should know about, say so!

--------------------
!

Edited by jewunit (01/14/08 12:08 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie

Re: Jewunit's beginners guide to hip-hop [Re: jewunit]
    #7877991 - 01/14/08 12:05 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Canibus should be on that list somewhere.

http://www.myspace.com/canibus

--------------------
m00nshine is currently vacationing in Maui. Rumor has it he got rolled by drunken natives and is currently prostituting himself in order to pay for airfare back to the mainland but he's having trouble juggling a hairon addiction. He won't be back for a long while.

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
Re: Jewunit's beginners guide to hip-hop [Re: THE KRAT BARON]
    #7878005 - 01/14/08 12:07 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I scrolled past him on my iTunes and though "Man, I don't even listen to any of this, so I won't include it." I expected Brother Ali to be the first person mentioned that I left out, not Canibus haha.

--------------------
!

InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie

#7878018 - 01/14/08 12:09 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I was listening to Canibus when I saw the thread thats why I mentioned him. Brother Ali is another good one. :yesnod:

--------------------
m00nshine is currently vacationing in Maui. Rumor has it he got rolled by drunken natives and is currently prostituting himself in order to pay for airfare back to the mainland but he's having trouble juggling a hairon addiction. He won't be back for a long while.

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
    #7878031 - 01/14/08 12:12 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Now you got me listening to Canibus haha.

--------------------
!

OfflineToddo
Stranger
Male

#7878081 - 01/14/08 12:22 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I'm really just truly getting into hip-hop. Mainly underground/late 90's-early 2000's. Mainly due to me finding my brothers booklet of hip-hop CD's...and me slowly working my way through them. Some fucking amazing stuff.

I like your list. Here are a couple randoms that caught my attention RIGHT away.

Styles of Beyond-first album. God damn! Listening to this album connected with me and really revealed a whole new power that Hip-Hop could wield.

Soul Assassins
: Another one that really spoke to me...a very well put together album (thier only one?) GZA/RZA also get in one track that was absolutely sick.

--------------------
Shroomery Composition Contest

Edited by Toddo (01/14/08 04:46 PM)

OfflineTangerines
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: woodwork Flag
Re: Jewunit's beginners guide to hip-hop [Re: Toddo]
    #7879041 - 01/14/08 04:18 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Great list jewunit. I agree with almost everything said.

March 11th Del comes out with new solo album which I am PUMPED about. It has been too long.

Also you forgot to mention that Deltron 3030 consists of Rapper Del(of course), Producer Dan the Automator, and DJ Kid Koala. A new Deltron 3030 album is supposed to come out this year as well.

Lil' Wayne - If 'club rap' is more you're thing I would suggest him

Bone Thugs N Harmony- One of my favorites. Me being from Cleveland helps I suppose, but they are great. They truly are in harmony all the members flow so well together.

Nas - great lyrics great beats. Check out Illmatic as that is considered his best by many.

Outkast - Their early stuff more than their newer is great for some early southern style rap. Check out 'Southernplayalisticadillacmuzic' or 'ATLiens' or 'Aquemini'

Swollen Members - many do not care for them AT ALL. If you want some 'darker' hip hop check them out. 'Black Magic' is my favorite album of theirs.

Gang Starr - an old school group. Guru and DJ premier have some hard hittin beats and straight up lyrics. He really is a 'Guru'. Check out the album 'Hard to Earn'

I could add more but this is probably overwhelming to hip hop noobs anyways.

Edited by Tangerines (02/29/08 12:37 PM)

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
Re: Jewunit's beginners guide to hip-hop [Re: Tangerines]
    #7879052 - 01/14/08 04:21 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Tangerines said:
'Aquemini'

YES!!!

I also agree with Lil' Wayne and I'm not quite sure why I didn't put Nas on the list.

That little bit about Deltron 3030 I didn't even know, I just kinda thought those two helped him out a lot, similar to El-P helping out Can Ox on The Cold Vein.

--------------------
!

OfflineTangerines
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7879068 - 01/14/08 04:26 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I really need to check out some Def Jux stuff. Ever since I heard they nabbed Del I got interested just never got any.

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

#7879958 - 01/14/08 07:15 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

jewunit said:

When it comes to solo Wu-Tang, nothing beats ODB's Return to the 36 Chambers. In my opinion it's the best hip-hop/rap album ever. Nothing tops it. It's produced by RZA (Wu's legendary producer) so the beats solid too.

Good choice

InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie

#7880161 - 01/14/08 07:51 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

jewunit said:
When it comes to solo Wu-Tang, nothing beats GZA's Liquid Swords. In my opinion it's the best hip-hop/rap album ever. Nothing tops it. It's produced by RZA (Wu's legendary producer) so the beats solid too.

I agree Gza's Liquid Swords is definitely one of the best albums of all time. My favorite track from him is off Legend of the Liquid Sword though.

--------------------

InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie

Re: Jewunit's beginners guide to hip-hop [Re: TheCow]
    #7880185 - 01/14/08 07:55 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

TheCow said:
Quote:

jewunit said:

When it comes to solo Wu-Tang, nothing beats ODB's  Return to the 36 Chambers. In my opinion it's the best hip-hop/rap album ever. Nothing tops it. It's produced by RZA (Wu's legendary producer) so the beats solid too.

Good choice

Another really good album. :yesnod:

--------------------

Invisibleim_on_a_boat
Stranger

#8085700 - 02/29/08 11:02 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

bump in the trunk.

OfflineYoschie99
nomad
Male

Loc: center of earth
    #8085976 - 02/29/08 12:26 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

My artist additions:

Camp Lo

The Pharcyde

Tribe Called Quest

Blackalicious

Producer additions:

Blockhead

RJD2

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
Re: Jewunit's beginners guide to hip-hop [Re: Yoschie99]
    #8085988 - 02/29/08 12:30 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Huge :foreheadslap: for leaving all of them out.
:foreheadslap:

--------------------
!

OfflineTangerines
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Jewunit's beginners guide to hip-hop [Re: Yoschie99]
    #8086018 - 02/29/08 12:39 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

RJD2 is the man! :thumbup:

He produced one of my favorite songs by CunninLynguists: Seasons

His solo stuff is great as well. His newest album, The Third Hand, is a masterpiece.

Edited by Tangerines (02/29/08 12:50 PM)

InvisibleSoularize
slanted and enchanted
Male User Gallery

Loc: United States
    #8086057 - 02/29/08 12:52 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

For fans of Liquid Swords, you guys really gotta check out the DJ Muggs & Gza record, 'Grandmasters'. You're missing out, I'm tellin ya! I up'd my favorite song from that record..check it out it's pretty sick.

Other artist additions here: De La Soul, Black Star (Mos Def + Talib Kweli), 9th Wonder, Common (particularly his '94 album 'Resurrection', DITC (Diggin In The Crates), KRS-One, The Coup (Oakland-based rap duo that are on a revolutionary, 'fuck the government and take back your freedom' type tip, a la Dead Prez), Dead Prez! ('Let's Get Free' is the album I'd recommend), Blue Scholars (Seattle-based MC Geologic and DJ Sabzi...anyone living remotely near Seattle knows what's up with these guys...they're just super fresh...recently signed to Rawkus.

--------------------
"All but one man died. There at Bitter Creek. And they say he ran awayyy." - A little show called Branded

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
Re: Jewunit's beginners guide to hip-hop [Re: Soularize]
    #8086064 - 02/29/08 12:54 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

All of DJ Muggs CDs are good, not just the GZA one.

--------------------
!

InvisibleSoularize
slanted and enchanted
Male User Gallery

Loc: United States
    #8086338 - 02/29/08 02:11 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah no kidding. I mean, he produced all of Cypress Hill's classic beats. If you're talking about his solo stuff, then yeah he's got some other nice ones, but Gza's is my favorite. They just make a really good team I think.

--------------------
"All but one man died. There at Bitter Creek. And they say he ran awayyy." - A little show called Branded

Offlineandrewss
precariously aggrandized

Loc: ohio
Re: Jewunit's beginners guide to hip-hop [Re: Soularize]
    #8086406 - 02/29/08 02:26 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Good thread, looking into some of whats recommended, thanks :awesome:

--------------------
Jesus loves you.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals