Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineIllicitAlchemist
Becoming one.
 User Gallery

Loc: The hara.
Becoming Self-Sufficient
    #7871573 - 01/12/08 11:39 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

My main goal in life at this point is to make enough money myself to live on my own(with roomates most likely) and away from my parents. I just got a job at trader joe's paying 10$ an hour, but thats only part time. I plan on getting my bachelors degree in psychology and eventually my MD. I'm kind of discouraged at this point because there are so many expenses living on your own and I'm already 20 and just want to get out of my parents house already. Does anyone have any advice for me to speed this process up or even some encouraging words from people who have gone through this same thing would help. Thanks everyone and I hope to hear what some of you have to say...

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineemrandel
Love iS freeD

Re: Becoming Self-Sufficient [Re: IllicitAlchemist]
    #7871780 - 01/13/08 12:21 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

If you really want to move out of your parents house there is nothing that can stop you except laziness. Ask for more hours at your current job, continue to look for a second job, sell everything you don't need and move some herb. Oh wow, I just realized you live in humbolt county. One road trip to Colorado and you'll be self sufficient for a couple of years. But illegal stuff aside. Start cutting your base living costs. A large part of your monthly costs are for having a car (i assume) insurance, gas and possibly even a car payment. That right there takes out 300-400 dollars a month. Get a bike, use public transportation... you'll be in much better shape after a month of that. Second biggest chunk of spending is going out to eat, and I don't mean like a fancy restaurant, I mean fast food or whatever. That adds up like crazy.

Now you cut those expenses, even a part time job is enough to pay for basic rent, utilities and food. It's not hard to get out w/o luxuries unless your credits out of control or you got and dirty ass criminal record.

--------------------
"No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, green and love of power!" - P.J. O'Rourke

OfflineGnosticWarrior
Hermit
 User Gallery

Loc: Oahu, Hawaii
    #7872138 - 01/13/08 01:48 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I'm curious about your schooling. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big believer in education. I also noticed that certain successful peoples, whether they really needed the college education or not, met and did business with people whom they met in school. But that could be a very expensive social club and those people could afford it.

I'm not a believer in debt. If getting a job that your passionate about requires a particular degree, you might consider making an investment in yourself by getting into debt. But if the degree is just because, you supposedly would have the potential to earn a higher lifetime of earnings, than you need to weight it out. Most sales or entrepreneurial jobs don't require a college degree. All that matters is if you can sell or make the bottom line.

How much could one educate themselves by going to the library and read books of various subjects and then try to create their own hands on projects to learn? Are the college professors the true authority of the subject matter you wish to learn or just someone who excelled in the institution.

Start talking to people who are currently in the work force. You'll find a lot that are in fields that are totally unrelated to their degree. If you are going into debt for school, make sure you're getting exactly what you need. If money is the only benchmark, I think a lot would have done better by skipping school and investing the difference. But, you'd have to be motivated to educate yourself to invest. Which by the way, if you ask most investors got a better education reading and doing on their own, than what was taught in school.

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: Becoming Self-Sufficient [Re: GnosticWarrior]
    #7872544 - 01/13/08 07:56 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

If you know your serious about becoming an MD, I would suggest you get to work on it. Either way, it sounds as though a college degree is likely to raise your earnings.

Most people have to take out student loans to do so. You will go into debt, but it doesn't have to be an absurd amount. You can probably find a state school for about 9-10k/year.

If you truly want to go to medical school, you'll really need to hit the books and make excellent marks, so that should be your focus. The bright side is that if you get accepted, you won't have to woryy about debt.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

OfflineDrCamacho89
Mazel Tuff
Male

Re: Becoming Self-Sufficient [Re: badchad]
    #7872767 - 01/13/08 09:49 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Don't become an M.D., it's not the occupation it used to be.  Get a bachelor's and then see what doors are out there for you to open.  I rarely see people working in their major.  Schooling is just preperation, people seem to forget that.  It's experience in the real world that will dictate where you end up.  Take advantage of internships.  Best way to get a job after graduation.  Best things you could have are an open-minded willingness to learn & tolerance to pain & perhaps degradation.  :hehehe:  Pay your dues in one way or another & you will one day be self-sufficient.

--------------------
"The Highways of Life are Paved with Flat Squirrels who Couldn't Make Up Their Minds"

InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
    #7877266 - 01/14/08 07:36 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Either set yourself up for a really well paid job or get as much money in the bank as you can why you are still with your parents - these are the golden rules.

I wish I'd realised them when I was 16 and living rent free.

Offlineimpgl
CrimethINCspecial agent
 User Gallery

Loc: california!
Re: Becoming Self-Sufficient [Re: emrandel]
    #7877731 - 01/14/08 10:45 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

emrandel said:
If you really want to move out of your parents house there is nothing that can stop you except laziness. Ask for more hours at your current job, continue to look for a second job, sell everything you don't need and move some herb. Oh wow, I just realized you live in humbolt county. One road trip to Colorado and you'll be self sufficient for a couple of years. But illegal stuff aside. Start cutting your base living costs. A large part of your monthly costs are for having a car (i assume) insurance, gas and possibly even a car payment. That right there takes out 300-400 dollars a month. Get a bike, use public transportation... you'll be in much better shape after a month of that. Second biggest chunk of spending is going out to eat, and I don't mean like a fancy restaurant, I mean fast food or whatever. That adds up like crazy.

Now you cut those expenses, even a part time job is enough to pay for basic rent, utilities and food. It's not hard to get out w/o luxuries unless your credits out of control or you got and dirty ass criminal record.

this cat speaks gospel!

--------------------
omg really?

Offlineimpgl
CrimethINCspecial agent
 User Gallery

Loc: california!
Re: Becoming Self-Sufficient [Re: impgl]
    #7877734 - 01/14/08 10:47 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

or you could squat buildings and steal.... though it tends to get old.

--------------------
omg really?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale