Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibleelbisivni

Casting jewelry
    #7868738 - 01/12/08 11:31 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Does anyone know anything about casting jewelry?  I built a 3D model of a necklace I'd like to cast in sterling silver.

If I took images of it to a jewelry casting place would they be able to replicate it accurately to build a wax mold and then to cast it?

I know nothing about this stuff and I imagine there's got to be some people around here into this sort of thing.

I was hoping to find a 3D printer so I could print the model out as a tangible object, then make a wax cast with that, which I could take to a jewelry casting place.

Any ideas/info are/is welcome.  Thanks :peace:

--------------------
From dust you are made and to dust you shall return.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
Re: Casting jewelry [Re: elbisivni]
    #7876506 - 01/14/08 12:01 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

A 3D printer might not have the resolution that you are wanting (unless they have made great strides that I am not aware of)....
I would try to locate a rapid prototyping service with an SLA modeler - I think the laser defined resolutions are better than a plastic injector head....
The bad part is that you will (most likely) have to output your model as an STL file to make it work in a modeler....
It basically turns your model into triangulated faces, and arcs into lines....
You will prolly~ still have to sand down the resultant model a little - if even just to smooth the support structure contacts....
Stereolithography (LINK)

>^;;^<

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale