Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineXAZIA
glitter goddess
Loc: oklahoma
fruit flies
    #787010 - 07/30/02 08:32 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

please help with fruit flies. i may already be sacrificing my tazmanian species by not being able to print due to fruit flies setting up residence in my casings.
are the fruits from these casings safe to consume and how the hell do i get rid of these flies without destroying my casing?

--------------------
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds."

Bob Marley

Remember, EGOISM is the beginning, the source, and the root of EVIL!

http://www.fanaticus.com/pf-tek.htm
http://www.mycotopia.net/teks/hongus.html

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDinoMyc
Ipsa scientiapotestas est
Re: fruit flies [Re: XAZIA]
    #787509 - 07/31/02 04:35 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------
If I made affront, I apologize.
If I made affirmation, I apologize.
I merely came to listen, came to say.

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #787646 - 07/31/02 06:59 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

In the pic below is a rather large tub of colonizing substrate. The tub is covered with an outdoor type polyester spunbonded filter fabric (from EasyGardener for $20 = 4 x 50 ft roll available at Lowes, Home Depot & other places). Gnats cannot get through it. Also in the pic is a commercial size electronic bug zapper w/lights that attract them, should they gain entry into the place. This resolved the Raccoons gnat / fruit fly problems. Once they lay eggs in a substrate, you end up with tiny maggots that eat the substrate matter, the Myc & pins . The whole thing turns to a bugfest. And, IMHO it is best to apply the trash can Tek to the infested one, to save any other tubs from getting the same infestation .

SixTango

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

#787686 - 07/31/02 07:24 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Forgot to mention. The source of the Raccoons gnats, fruit flies & others was from cooling a pasturized bulk substrate outside where they could get to it in a hanging pillow case and/or burlap bag. Once cooled, it draws them like the fly's they are. Then in minutes, the little bastards lay eggs in it & the substrate batch is doomed from the get/go .

To resolve that, the Raccoon acquired a large used 15 / 20 gallon heavy gauge plastic shrub/tree container w/handles for $8 from a plant / shrub / tree nursery place. Then drilled many many more holes in the bottom of it, for better drainage. Also placing a course screen in the bottom.

Now the Raccoon sets down a large double trash can liner, sets two concrete blocks inside it a few inches apart, places the drain tub on the blocks, dumps a large batch of steaming pasturized bulk dung/straw combo straight out of a large metal wash tub he pasturizes in, straight in the drain tub. Then uses a rubber band to seal the bag the whole thing is setting in. It drains & cools quick & the fluid drained is contained in the bag below .

You can also set the bag ON the blocks & the drain tub in the bag - that way. Either way works.

SixTango

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Invisiblenonsence
friend
Loc: Australia.
Re: fruit flies [Re: SixTango]
    #787846 - 07/31/02 09:22 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

"trash can Tek"

now that is funny

OfflineXAZIA
glitter goddess
Loc: oklahoma
Re: fruit flies [Re: nonsence]
    #791579 - 08/01/02 10:23 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

thank you six tango and guitar guy. i have just thrown the casing in the trash. i had never thought about the dung containing the infestation from the beginnig. since it is summer and i have small children i assumed that a regular fly had gotten into my cabinet and then into the casing and laid eggs. your suggestion will make me rethink my procedure now

--------------------
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds."

Bob Marley

Remember, EGOISM is the beginning, the source, and the root of EVIL!

http://www.fanaticus.com/pf-tek.htm
http://www.mycotopia.net/teks/hongus.html

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

#792382 - 08/02/02 11:40 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Xazia,

The Raccoon did not mean to sound HARSH. Those bastard fruit flies are such a PITA, that what the Coon said about them & how to resolve the problem just came out harsh sounding. SixTango

--------------------

Offlinehenryp
Refugee from the Group W bench

#792431 - 08/02/02 12:08 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Stick a little frog in there.....problem solved

--------------------
"You do know how to whistle, don't you, Steve?  You just put your lips together and.....blow"

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology