Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblesleepy
zZzZzZzZz
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
does "gravity" (whatever gravity is) insinuate the possibility of instantaneous interstellar travel?
    #7869486 - 01/12/08 03:40 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

just what the title says. i still can't understand exactly what gravity is, and we know "It" exists, but do we really know what It is? considering this "force" stretches across huge distances, through complete vaccum, and also has NO MASS whatsoever,

along with the fact that every scientific/physical barrier which has seemed to exist is always transcended 100-500 years later, i bet we will soon be able to travel to other galaxies through stargates.

??????? PROFIT!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleim_on_a_boat
Stranger

Re: does "gravity" (whatever gravity is) insinuate the possibility of instantaneous interstellar tra [Re: sleepy]
    #7869525 - 01/12/08 03:50 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

how does gravity stretch through a complete vacuum?

do you mean space as the complete vacuum? 

i dont believe there is gravity in space..

plus have you ever seen the movie stargate?

if you can travel like that i wouldn't want to.. :tongue:

Offlinehoneypotty
Mad Scientist
Male

Re: does "gravity" (whatever gravity is) insinuate the possibility of instantaneous interstellar tra [Re: im_on_a_boat]
    #7869548 - 01/12/08 04:00 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

In spite of what it sez on star trek there is no sign of any way of travelling faster than light. And because of basic fizziks it aint likely we'll go faster than maybe 100,000mph. So getting to nearby stars is, like, out of the question. People wanna believe there's gonna be some star trek someday but it ain't on. We R stuck here. So party like its 1999.

Invisibleim_on_a_boat
Stranger

Re: does "gravity" (whatever gravity is) insinuate the possibility of instantaneous interstellar tra [Re: honeypotty]
    #7869564 - 01/12/08 04:05 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

if i can do it in mass effect, then i should be able to do it in real life.. at least in the future!

ftw!

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: does "gravity" (whatever gravity is) insinuate the possibility of instantaneous interstellar tra [Re: sleepy]
    #7869592 - 01/12/08 04:12 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

sleepy said:
just what the title says. i still can't understand exactly what gravity is, and we know "It" exists, but do we really know what It is?

In science nobody knows what anything is. Everything is described in terms of other things we dont know. Forces, energy, mass... these are basic building block of physics theory, but what they are cannot be known. What we can study is how they interact, and what models predict their interactions.

EDIT - In physics definitions the effect of gravity is from the bending of space time, or the exchange of 'graviton' particles. (depends on if you are thinking relativity theory or quantum theory)

Edited by Qubit (01/12/08 04:14 PM)

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: does "gravity" (whatever gravity is) insinuate the possibility of instantaneous interstellar tra [Re: im_on_a_boat]
    #7869614 - 01/12/08 04:16 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

drkrobotnik said:

Of course there is gravity in space. Thats what keeps the planets in orbit, and galaxies together.

The force of gravity from any object (including yourself) extends through all of space.

Invisiblesleepy
zZzZzZzZz
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #7869636 - 01/12/08 04:21 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

drkrobotnik said:
how does gravity stretch through a complete vacuum?

do you mean space as the complete vacuum? 

plus have you ever seen the movie stargate?

if you can travel like that i wouldn't want to.. :tongue:

gravity most definitely travels through the vaccum of space, e.g. the moon causing ocean tides on earth.  gravity is what keeps us at the same distance (approx) as we orbit the sun.

don't assume there are going to be super bad monsters on the other side, its just a tv show.  imagine if you could stargate to the Haight Ashbury planet in the solar system Hoffmann

Invisibleim_on_a_boat
Stranger

Re: does "gravity" (whatever gravity is) insinuate the possibility of instantaneous interstellar tra [Re: DieCommie]
    #7869645 - 01/12/08 04:22 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

like gravity on a larger scale that's what pulls the planets in orbit.. dude i gotcha thanks dude i understand that.

i wish i wasn't so ignorant about this kinda stuff. i also wish i had more general electives to take so i can learn about this kinda stuff.

Invisiblemaggotz

#7869759 - 01/12/08 04:49 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

the internet is your friend.

InvisibleSausage
Hamster with asausage

Folding@home Statistics
    #7869808 - 01/12/08 04:59 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

what you need is a starship equipped with an infinite improbability drive, then there would be no need to go mucking about in hyperspace.  :gum:

--------------------

InvisibleAcyl
cyanidepoisoning
Male User Gallery

Loc: N.W.T.
    #7869874 - 01/12/08 05:18 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

sleepy said:
just what the title says. i still can't understand exactly what gravity is, and we know "It" exists, but do we really know what It is? considering this "force" stretches across huge distances, through complete vaccum, and also has NO MASS whatsoever,

along with the fact that every scientific/physical barrier which has seemed to exist is always transcended 100-500 years later, i bet we will soon be able to travel to other galaxies through stargates.

??????? PROFIT!

Well, isnt gravity also limited to the speed of light?

--------------------
:scrambled:

1 ,2

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: does "gravity" (whatever gravity is) insinuate the possibility of instantaneous interstellar tra [Re: Sausage]
    #7869887 - 01/12/08 05:21 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Eh, you only need a Finite Probability Drive to get to most places. :shrug:

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: does "gravity" (whatever gravity is) insinuate the possibility of instantaneous interstellar tra [Re: Diploid]
    #7870002 - 01/12/08 05:44 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

That's an Infinite Probability Drive :wink:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: does "gravity" (whatever gravity is) insinuate the possibility of instantaneous interstellar tra [Re: Acyl]
    #7870113 - 01/12/08 06:12 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Acyl said:
Quote:

sleepy said:

??????? PROFIT!

Well, isnt gravity also limited to the speed of light?

I'm no astrophysicist, but I was under the impression that gravity was traveling FTL.

Its entirely possible I misunderstood though.

The math of this stuff goes right over my head...

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: does "gravity" (whatever gravity is) insinuate the possibility of instantaneous interstellar tra [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #7870146 - 01/12/08 06:18 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

The force of gravity travels at the speed of light. Otherwise you could communicate faster then light using gravity and violate causality.

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

Re: does "gravity" (whatever gravity is) insinuate the possibility of instantaneous interstellar tra [Re: DieCommie]
    #7870166 - 01/12/08 06:21 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Like I said, I'm entirely open to the fact that I'm wrong.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflineCubie
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Down the rabbit hole...
Re: does "gravity" (whatever gravity is) insinuate the possibility of instantaneous interstellar tra [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #7870490 - 01/12/08 07:26 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Many many very smart people think that by using a super strong electromagnetic field around something it will create an antigravity efféct and slip through dimensions giving way to intersteller travel and the billions of possabilitys for anti gravity.

There are a bunch of documentrys about a airforce carrier doing this a long ass time ago and it disappeared and ended up thousands of miles away. With people stuck halfway in walls and the floor n shit.
Crazy stuff

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: does "gravity" (whatever gravity is) insinuate the possibility of instantaneous interstellar tra [Re: Cubie]
    #7870504 - 01/12/08 07:29 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

That was a movie, not reality.

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

Re: does "gravity" (whatever gravity is) insinuate the possibility of instantaneous interstellar tra [Re: Diploid]
    #7870542 - 01/12/08 07:37 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

:lol:

--------------------

OfflineCubie
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Down the rabbit hole...
    #7870555 - 01/12/08 07:40 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

It was based ón Reality. Really, look it up

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order