Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
Religion, intelligence and education
    #7868006 - 01/12/08 02:46 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

article here

Sociological studies show a direct inverse proprotional link between religiosity and intelligence/education.

The children of highly religious parents suffer diminished IQs - averaging 7 to 10 points lower compared to their non-religious counterparts in similar socio-economic groups. As you would expect from these results, multiple studies have also shown that IQ is opposed to the strength of religious belief. 39 studies since 1927 (out of 43) have found that the more educated a person is, and the higher one's intelligence, the less likely someone is to hold religious beliefs.

Discuss. Or not.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

Re: Religion, intelligence and education [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #7868085 - 01/12/08 03:37 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

It is nice to see an ad hominem that is supported by research.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #7869409 - 01/12/08 03:16 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Personal experience would seem to confirm this.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Offlinejonathanseagull
Cool!
Male

Re: Religion, intelligence and education [Re: Evolving]
    #7869415 - 01/12/08 03:17 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

I'd agree with this. But I'd also have to stress the difference between Religious and Spiritual.

--------------------
Loving in truth, and fain in verse my love to show, That the dear She might take some pleasure of my pain: Pleasure might cause her read, reading might make her know, Knowledge might pity win, and pity grace obtain.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Religion, intelligence and education [Re: jonathanseagull]
    #7869417 - 01/12/08 03:19 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Indeed.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

#7869469 - 01/12/08 03:35 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

jonathanseagull said:
I'd agree with this. But I'd also have to stress the difference between Religious and Spiritual.

Yeah, agreed as well.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

InvisibleAnastomosisJihad
Hominid
Male

Loc: Ohio
    #7869623 - 01/12/08 04:18 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
article here

Sociological studies show a direct inverse proprotional link between religiosity and intelligence/education.

The children of highly religious parents suffer diminished IQs - averaging 7 to 10 points lower compared to their non-religious counterparts in similar socio-economic groups. As you would expect from these results, multiple studies have also shown that IQ is opposed to the strength of religious belief. 39 studies since 1927 (out of 43) have found that the more educated a person is, and the higher one's intelligence, the less likely someone is to hold religious beliefs.

Discuss. Or not.

Do you have a citation for this? I ask because the source is important for establishing the weight of a claim. If this is from the journal of Nature that would be one thing, but if it's from some militant atheist's website that is another.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
    #7869965 - 01/12/08 05:36 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Does this mean that if I quit going to church, I'll suddenly get smarter? :smirk:

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Religion, intelligence and education [Re: Diploid]
    #7869969 - 01/12/08 05:37 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

And richer

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Re: Religion, intelligence and education [Re: AnastomosisJihad]
    #7870653 - 01/12/08 07:59 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

AnastomosisJihad said:
Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
article here

Discuss. Or not.

Do you have a citation for this? I ask because the source is important for establishing the weight of a claim. If this is from the journal of Nature that would be one thing, but if it's from some militant atheist's website that is another.

It was from Scientific American (where they all wear swastikas & stuff).

--------------------

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

#7870663 - 01/12/08 08:01 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

jonathanseagull said:

I'd like to hear your definition of spiritual.

--------------------

Hominid
Male

#7870696 - 01/12/08 08:09 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

That is not a citation. I have neither the time nor the inclination to search through every story in every issue of Scientific American.

A citation is either a link I can click on, or a story name, page number, and issue number.

--------------------
come together

Hominid
Male

#7870721 - 01/12/08 08:16 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

I just saw the link. My bad!

--------------------
come together

InvisibleSophistic Radiance
Free sVs!
Female

Loc: Center of the Universe
    #7871893 - 01/13/08 12:46 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Spirituality is a tendency to question consensus reality, and religiosity is an overeagerness to conclusively answer the questions (among other things). At least that is what the connotations of those words suggest to me.

A mind that believes itself to have the fundamental answers is naturally closed, and a closed mind naturally won't absorb as much as an open one.

Edited by Tchan909 (01/13/08 01:43 AM)

OfflineSacrebleu
Cheap Ad SpaceHere
Female

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Religion, intelligence and education [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #7872234 - 01/13/08 02:45 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Tchan909 said:
Spirituality is a tendency to question consensus reality, and religiosity is an overeagerness to conclusively answer the questions (among other things). At least that is what the connotations of those words suggest to me.

A mind that believes itself to have the fundamental answers is naturally closed, and a closed mind naturally won't absorb as much as an open one.

No, spiritualists seem to want to fill the void with by finding meaning in numbers, stars, planetary positions and chi energy. :P

--------------------
I have no funny saying. I have no quote. I have no ASCII art. I have no video. I have no meme. I have no bolded or italicized font.

My signature sucks.

InvisibleSophistic Radiance
Free sVs!
Female

Loc: Center of the Universe
Re: Religion, intelligence and education [Re: Sacrebleu]
    #7872246 - 01/13/08 02:50 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

The numbers, stars, planetary positions and chi energy are religiosity, just not of the type that I'm guessing you're most intimately familiar with.

Spirituality and religiosity feed on each other... it goes both ways, and the line between them isn't always clear. But there is a real difference.

--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.

Edited by Tchan909 (01/13/08 02:51 AM)

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Re: Religion, intelligence and education [Re: Sacrebleu]
    #7872258 - 01/13/08 02:57 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Exactly. I will wager $500 to any takers here that a group of TK, PK, crop circle, homeopathy or crystal power believers will also score lower on an IQ test (to be later agreed upon - perhaps the Mensa entry test) ON AVERAGE than those who recognize those fields as having no merit. (May also narrow it to one field to avoid confusion).

To make the test fair, I will accept 10 volunteers from both sides. They must be long-term members, have a high post count and regularly post in either P&S or M&P and their position must be made clear from past posts. (No ringers or switch-hitters.)

Using my powers, I predict no takers. If there are no takers, what might this tell us?

--------------------

Edited by OrgoneConclusion (01/13/08 06:23 AM)

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #7872366 - 01/13/08 04:55 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

That's because the tests are designed to be in coherence with a strictly worldly western logic system. Most things that appear in religiosity or spirituality don't appear in any form within those tests.
There are quite some definitions of intelligence.

And now think about the designers of those modern western 'intelligence' tests and their intention.

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Re: Religion, intelligence and education [Re: BlueCoyote]
    #7872375 - 01/13/08 05:05 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, they purposely designed those test decades ago solely to fuck with 'cereologists' and UFO buffs. :rolleyes:

Western logic? Chinese and Japanese cannot figure things out? WTF?

Those with greater intelligence can figure out the pieces of the puzzle easier and have an increased ability (in general) to discern fact from fiction.

--------------------

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

#7872383 - 01/13/08 05:16 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

They were purposefully designed to cut away all assumtional, imaginary, analogical or metaphorical subjects and skills.
Of course, because they want to lead towards an unique result, one that excludes the possibilities behind each assumption.
It's only a self proving circular system, which excludes any way of breakout.
For an example, they rarely test any 'artistic' ability. Perhaps only there, where it would be 'adequte' haha, marketing or something..

edit: In short: The 'intelligence'-tests will only test that what one was educated :grin:

--------------------
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Edited by BlueCoyote (01/13/08 05:23 AM)

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Loc: red panda village
    #7872419 - 01/13/08 05:55 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

BlueCoyote said:
edit: In short: The 'intelligence'-tests will only test that what one was educated :grin:

No.
Not really.
While I agree with you that intelligence tests still have more until they will be close to accuracy, I do not agree with the idea you're trying to present here because it is very far from the truth.
What you are trying to imply with "educated" refers to social norms, standards and belong more to ethics.
The IQ test is hardly concerned with the morality of an individual.
It is oriented to measure one's ability to be lucid, aware and apt to determine reality. Things that are important for an individual to do if they want to live life in a constructive and rational manner. It stands for progress.

Let's see some random examples from some I.Q. tests:

Quote:

Two ducks and two dogs have a total of fourteen legs.

True  False

As you see, this question is quite explainable and natural regarding the construct and structure of reality.
Unless you wanna argue whether or not a human was educated (trained) to see two legs in a duck and four legs in a dog. :lol:
And of you wanna argue about that I'm really curious how you'll do it. :strokebeard:

Now let's look at another example:

Quote:

2.  Which one of these is least like the four?
    Horse
    Kangaroo
    Goat
    Deer
    Donkey

As you can see, this question is also concerned with one's ability to determine the similarities and differences. And this is also an imperative matter if we want to have the ability to determine the reality that surrounds us.
Errors in thinking lead to accidents, accidents lead to traumas and so on. Need I go on any further that that in explaining what could happen if I thought that the one that didn't belong there was the goat? :hehehe:
Should I even begin to draw similarities between this situation and other situations where I wouldn't be able to make the correct measurements? :sherlock:

--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Re: Religion, intelligence and education [Re: MushroomTrip]
    #7872434 - 01/13/08 06:10 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

"Two ducks and two dogs have a total of fourteen legs.

True False"
Haha, sorry, I am quite stoned and drunk, but I love to rip that apart :smile:
Primarily that is made up for wings are not legs, pure definition.
And for idiot falesafe, they don't even offer the other 'correct' answer: sixteen.
So, of course it is about what you are trained to see in a function of a body-part, but in fact, wings had been primarily legs as well :wink:

"2. Which one of these is least like the four?
Horse
Kangaroo
Goat
Deer
Donkey"

So what is the right answer here ? Kangaroo, because it raises its child in a bag ? What if one of the others would be a reptile, which also runs on two legs, lol, and the answer still was designed to be that the most difference is to be raised in a bag ?
Designed shit :grin:

--------------------

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

#7872448 - 01/13/08 06:34 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

You are only having trouble with the animal portion of the quiz because you are part blue jay and part coyote due to genetic splicing which was not yet done at the time the test was designed.

--------------------

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

#7872467 - 01/13/08 06:51 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Hehe, yeah
It's about what you wanna be doing with your front legs :wink:
Just running, or playing with tools, or begin to fly (even back into the sea) :laugh:

--------------------

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Loc: red panda village
    #7875113 - 01/13/08 07:32 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Primarily that is made up for wings are not legs, pure definition.
And for idiot falesafe, they don't even offer the other 'correct' answer: sixteen.
So, of course it is about what you are trained to see in a function of a body-part, but in fact, wings had been primarily legs as well

Wings ONCE WERE legs.
Let's not omit that this was somewhere in the past, so let's focus on the present, where wings are wings and not legs anymore. :lol:
An IQ test is NOT concerned with one's knowledge regarding general culture. :shrug:
If we were to use that logic, we would say that a duck is really an egg, since the duck came out of an egg, so initially it was presenting itself as being boxed in there. :hehehe:

--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Re: Religion, intelligence and education [Re: MushroomTrip]
    #7876847 - 01/14/08 01:26 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

What about bats ? They have claws at their wings and also can walk on them. Wing-arm-legs ? Wargs...

--------------------

InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

#7876931 - 01/14/08 02:05 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

It is a terrible hypocrisy to advocate science with one hand and use the other hand to throw pseudoscientific fallacies around. Implying that religious people are less intelligent, and therefore wrong, based on a few poorly conducted studies using a metric that tests a very narrow range of tasks is just as moronic as any creationist's argument.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Religion, intelligence and education [Re: MushmanTheManic]
    #7877518 - 01/14/08 09:32 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

ZAP!:kaboom:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Re: Religion, intelligence and education [Re: MushmanTheManic]
    #7877777 - 01/14/08 11:07 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Perhaps you would care to show flaws in the studies rather than merely call this thread moronic. Your mere declaration has no value.

--------------------

Onlinefalcon
 User Gallery

#7879066 - 01/14/08 04:26 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Religiosity? :lol:

Did they do any studies of theologians? Maybe a study comparing intellegence and theologisity?

Onlinefalcon
 User Gallery

#7879100 - 01/14/08 04:33 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

flaws?

Heres a counter argument.

http://www.geocities.com/meta_crock/other/smarter.htm

I would like to see the protocols for all the studies before I would comment.

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Re: Religion, intelligence and education [Re: falcon]
    #7879593 - 01/14/08 06:13 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Not surprisingly, no New Ager wants to accept my challenge which may display some intelligence...

--------------------

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

#7879621 - 01/14/08 06:19 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

How about an unbiased survey based upon some of the more brilliant thinkers on the planet?

Nature, 394(6691):313, 23 July 1998
"Leading Scientists Still Reject God"

A recent survey of members of the National Academy of Sciences showed that 72% are outright atheists, 21% are agnostic and only 7% admit to belief in a personal God.

Belief in personal God 1998

Personal belief 7.0 %
Personal disbelief 72.2
Doubt or agnosticism 20.8

Belief in human immortality 1998

Personal belief 7.9 %
Personal disbelief 76.7
Doubt or agnosticism 23.3

--------------------

Onlinefalcon
 User Gallery

#7879688 - 01/14/08 06:32 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

This personal disbelief, I am skeptical about.
Is this a personal disbelief in a personal God, that they interpreted as being
atheism. I would like to see what they asked the scientists and what there responses were, not just a synopsis and interpretation.

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

#7879730 - 01/14/08 06:37 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Would you say that the War on Drugs is a display of intelligence?

--------------------

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

#7879744 - 01/14/08 06:39 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Better question: Is circular reasoning a tool of an intelligent or an unintelligent mind?

--------------------

Edited by OrgoneConclusion (01/14/08 09:39 PM)

Onlinefalcon
 User Gallery

#7879810 - 01/14/08 06:51 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

:shrug: My personal belief is that everyone should be self medicating, doctors and pharmacists should act as advisors, not dispensers.

Onlinefalcon
 User Gallery

#7879924 - 01/14/08 07:08 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

I can not answer your original question, because it is vague and meaningless.

Onlinefalcon
 User Gallery

#7879942 - 01/14/08 07:11 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Better question: Is circular reasoning a tool of an intelligent or an unitelligent mind?

Reasoning is a tool of all minds, both intelligent and unintelligent people are guilty of circular reasoning.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
    #7880059 - 01/14/08 07:34 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

falcon said:

:shrug: My personal belief is that everyone should be self medicating, doctors and pharmacists should act as advisors, not dispensers.

Quote:

falcon said:

I can not answer your original question, because it is vague and meaningless.

You can't answer...? Then why did you answer?

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Onlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Re: Religion, intelligence and education [Re: Rose]
    #7880119 - 01/14/08 07:45 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Ah I'm unintelligent and easily led away from the original topic? , I should have said I can't answer yes or no, hence the shrug and my answer that did not address the question.

The war on drugs is too large a topic to pidgeon hole as either a display of intelligence or not.

InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

#7881418 - 01/15/08 01:03 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

1.) There is literally an infinite amount of meaningless correlations that you can 'discover' using a survey.

2.) The intelligence of religious people has nothing to do with whether or not a god exists.

3.) The Stanford-Binet tests a very small range of tasks; it is used to predict academic success.

4.) Just because most scientists in the National Academy of Sciences are not religious is not an argument for the non-existence of god. (Appeal to authority.)

Offlinejonathanseagull
Cool!
Male

#7899225 - 01/18/08 09:08 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
Quote:

jonathanseagull said:

I'd like to hear your definition of spiritual.

Religion: Creed, Community, Code of Ethics
Spirituality: Subjective experience of the "_____"

--------------------
Loving in truth, and fain in verse my love to show, That the dear She might take some pleasure of my pain: Pleasure might cause her read, reading might make her know, Knowledge might pity win, and pity grace obtain.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale