Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
Re: Beyond the Singularity - What do you think caused the Big Bang? [Re: Cubie]
    #7876110 - 01/13/08 10:08 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Cubie said:
That 2029 thing I think that's called zero point now or something

"Zero Point" is something completely different....    :wink:
Technological Singularity (LINK)

Gravitational Singularity (LINK)

Zero Point Energy (LINK)

>^;;^<

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCubie
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Down the rabbit hole...
Re: Beyond the Singularity - What do you think caused the Big Bang? [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #7876175 - 01/13/08 10:20 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I wasn't really sure. But thanx for the info

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
    #7876426 - 01/13/08 11:43 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Dood, by a somewhat strange turn of events (in terms of random timing), I found this (and, I wasn't looking for it)....
This must be what you were talking about, it mentions the singularity in it....(?)

Omega Point (LINK)

>^;;^<

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

OfflineCubie
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Beyond the Singularity - What do you think caused the Big Bang? [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #7876478 - 01/13/08 11:55 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

That is exactly what I was talking about. That's Kool shit that you found it çuz I didn't remember where the hell I read about it 5 points 4 you!

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
Re: Beyond the Singularity - What do you think caused the Big Bang? [Re: Asante]
    #7880177 - 01/14/08 07:54 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Only one thing existed before the Big Bang....Chuck Norris.

Ask him how he did it.

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

Invisiblesleepy
zZzZzZzZz
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Beyond the Singularity - What do you think caused the Big Bang? [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #7880206 - 01/14/08 08:01 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

so chuck, just how exactly DID you create the universe?

OfflineCubie
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Beyond the Singularity - What do you think caused the Big Bang? [Re: sleepy]
    #7880779 - 01/14/08 10:24 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Lmao.
Chuck Norris dosent sleep..... He waits

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
Re: Beyond the Singularity - What do you think caused the Big Bang? [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #7882129 - 01/15/08 08:15 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

ToTheSummit said:
Only one thing existed before the Big Bang....Chuck Norris.

Ask him how he it.

I did. I got roundhoused.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

InvisibleEternalCowabunga
Being of Great Significance
Male User Gallery

Loc: Time and Space
Re: Beyond the Singularity - What do you think caused the Big Bang? [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #7882212 - 01/15/08 08:50 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Some may call this a cop-out, but I don't believe in the Big Bang. I think whatever "caused" all this has to be unimaginable from the mind, and the Big Bang is imaginable.

--------------------

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Re: Beyond the Singularity - What do you think caused the Big Bang? [Re: EternalCowabunga]
    #7882659 - 01/15/08 10:46 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

EternalCowabunga said:
I think whatever "caused" all this has to be unimaginable from the mind

Why?

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Beyond the Singularity - What do you think caused the Big Bang? [Re: EternalCowabunga]
    #7883298 - 01/15/08 12:43 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I am skeptical of how 'imaginable' the bang is for you. The bang is the creation of space and time. The small point that is now the universe didnt start in a 'place' or 'time'. Time and space itself unfurled out of the singularity in the process of the bang.

I dont think any human can truly imagine or picture an infinitely small point of infinite density existing outside of our notions of time and space.

OfflineCubie
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Beyond the Singularity - What do you think caused the Big Bang? [Re: DieCommie]
    #7883581 - 01/15/08 02:02 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Sorry but but that's your opinion.and everyone knows what those are like. Everyone thinks in such differnt ways that 'you' couldn't imagin. How someone else thinks. So just because they have a better understanding doesn't make it wrong.

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
    #7884520 - 01/15/08 05:02 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Do you know this is not the philosophy forums?

This is science.

People are right, and people are wrong. You can't have it your way.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflineCubie
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Beyond the Singularity - What do you think caused the Big Bang? [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #7884557 - 01/15/08 05:08 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Considering I was commenting on his theroy of the big bang I do not see your point

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Loc: SoCal Flag
Re: Beyond the Singularity - What do you think caused the Big Bang? [Re: Asante]
    #7885897 - 01/15/08 09:05 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

The fact that we can even question this trips me out. It's almost a form of meditation to me...questioning the existence of everything. How could there be nothing? Even the IDEA of nothing is something. There's something really permanent to the universe, no matter what state it's in.

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Re: Beyond the Singularity - What do you think caused the Big Bang? [Re: Newbie]
    #7885908 - 01/15/08 09:06 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

groovy

--------------------

InvisibleAnastomosisJihad
Hominid
Male

Loc: Ohio
Re: Beyond the Singularity - What do you think caused the Big Bang? [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #7886750 - 01/15/08 11:48 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
> Think of it this way, right now the universe is expanding. Maybe, just maybe it has a center of gravity, once it stops expanding, it will start contracting.

It isn't just expanding, but the expansion is accelerating. This means it is expanding faster and faster. Unless some force acts against the expansion, then it will expand forever. If some force were acting against the expansion, then it would be decelerating rather than accelerating. Based on this, with our current understanding of physics, there will be no contraction of the universe. It will continue to expand forever, even after the stars burn out.

Maybe this section of the universe the Milkyway inhabits is expanding while the the whole universe maintains equilibrium. Like a small whirlpool in a river, or like the wind under an airplane's wing, the little bubble of universe we can see might be expanding while the whole thing swirls in another direction.

I think the big bang is bogus anyway. It assumes that something comes from nothing, violating the principle of conservation of energy, and it assumes inconstancy in relative strength of the 4 elementary forces. I prefer the big bounce theory, which holds that a previous version of the universe collapsed in on itself, but ceased collapsing and started to expand when particles got so close together that the electromagnetic force and the weak force became relatively stronger than gravity, at which point the universe bounced and began to expand again.

The big bounce story explains all the evidence accounted for by a big bang, but does not require some magical singularity. It also allows for the possibility of information from the last phase of the universe to be passed on to this one.

--------------------
come together

Invisiblesleepy
zZzZzZzZz
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Beyond the Singularity - What do you think caused the Big Bang? [Re: AnastomosisJihad]
    #7886786 - 01/15/08 11:57 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

big bounce, i like the name better, so it must be true!

seriously tough, Chuck Norris' roundhouse kick of fury is now 73 percent done, and once he sets both feet back on the ground, we will begin a new universe

OfflineCubie
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Beyond the Singularity - What do you think caused the Big Bang? [Re: sleepy]
    #7886838 - 01/16/08 12:14 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Seuss. In that theroy the universe would not "keep" expanding.
It some point it will eventiley pull every bit of matter apart.

Maybe bouncing 'colapsing' upon its self causing strong nuclie and weak to colide at light speed and cause another big bang?
This is just my own lil cross pollination of big bang and big bounce theroy.
Both which I find very interesting

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Re: Beyond the Singularity - What do you think caused the Big Bang? [Re: AnastomosisJihad]
    #7887431 - 01/16/08 07:10 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

AnastomosisJihad said:

Maybe this section of the universe the Milkyway inhabits is expanding while the the whole universe maintains equilibrium. Like a small whirlpool in a river, or like the wind under an airplane's wing, the little bubble of universe we can see might be expanding while the whole thing swirls in another direction.

Almost all other galaxies have been observed to be moving away from us.

Quote:

I think the big bang is bogus anyway. It assumes that something comes from nothing, violating the principle of conservation of energy

The law of conservation of energy is a property of our universe. It came into being as the universe did. There was no 'nothing' for the universe (something) to spring from. Time began as space began.

Just because we don't fully understand something does not mean it is magical.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder