Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: If you believe in the devil (or demons)... [Re: ]
    #784724 - 07/29/02 04:57 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: If you believe in the devil (or demons)... [Re: World Spirit]
    #784729 - 07/29/02 05:01 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

An anti-nausea medication (like Dramamine). It is a generic so I don't know a brand name.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: If you believe in the devil (or demons)... [Re: internetraver]
    #784749 - 07/29/02 05:08 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

After all, EVIL backwards is LIVE.

And GOOD backwards is DOOG. What is your point?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Anonymous

Re: If you believe in the devil (or demons)... [Re: Swami]
    #784755 - 07/29/02 05:11 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

DOG backwards is GOD.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #784756 - 07/29/02 05:12 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, but BOB backwards is still plain ole BOB. And Swami backwards is "I'm a ws." - hey, that can't be right!

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Edited by Swami (07/29/02 05:14 PM)

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: If you believe in the devil (or demons)... [Re: Swami]
    #784767 - 07/29/02 05:16 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Deleted by admin

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
    #784779 - 07/29/02 05:20 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Read 'Hostage to the Devil: The Possession and Exorcism of Five Living Americans' by Malachi Martin. This is the book that the film 'The exorcist' was based upon. This book changed my notion of evil from the Privatio Boni (absence of goodness) notion, to one of an active infernal intelligence that moves in space-time. One of the possessed speaks of an infernal hierarchy that is more detailed than a medieval grimoire. At the end of the book is the Roman catholic Rite of Exorcism that must be approved by the Vatican before its implementation. I'm telling you, Satan, Shaitan, Mara, Maat, Pezuzu...you name the culture...there is a recognition that evil exists, is alive and intentional, and is the enemy of human beings.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#784830 - 07/29/02 05:40 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

At its best, the "devil" is a cleaver metaphorical entity that sybolizes and helps to explain several aspects of the human psyche that are difficult for a normal, "innocent" human to understand. At its worst, it is used as an excuse for selfishness, narssistic behavior, and sociopathy.

For instance, as society transitions from religion to science, the things that we used to blame on the devil are being blamed on genes. Research has supposedly been done on the "smoking gene", the "alcoholism gene", and the "homosexuality gene". (as a biochemist, i find it hard to believe that credible scientists have even studied such absurd claims, but thats what i see on the nightly news). Psychology has somehow been left in the proverbial dust. I guess people just dont want to believe that they are in control of these urges.

--------------------
:egyptian:

Anonymous

Re: If you believe in the devil (or demons)... [Re: Catalysis]
    #784951 - 07/29/02 06:35 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

"(as a biochemist, i find it hard to believe that credible scientists have even studied such absurd claims, but thats what i see on the nightly news)."

Ever hear of grant money?

Cheers,

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#784977 - 07/29/02 06:47 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

LOL, now i know where the government got money to study the use of amphetamines for mind control.

--------------------
:egyptian:

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
Re: If you believe in the devil (or demons)... [Re: Droz]
    #785732 - 07/30/02 06:37 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Do other animals experience evil? Something we may never know.

I think we already know. "Evil" is a word created by humans to describe a concept that is also created by humans. "Good" and "Evil" are only linguistic tags human beings (and humans only) place upon each other in order to JUDGE. Just 100% subjective descriptors. My friend's pastor might say "drugs are evil," while my friend might say "Man, your skateboard is EVIL!"

All evil is is what any indivudual human decides is "evil". Other animals aren't evolved to the point where they can waste time debating the meaning of subjective labels.

The traditional definition of evil (malicious, wicked, cruel, etc.) is just something made up by humans. "Evil" cannot motivate any being; "evil" is just how the being's actions are described. Motivations for "evil acts" can be anything (greed, instinct, security) A wolf that runs off with a baby is not evil. We don't know why it did that. Humans will of course make their judgement and call it evil because it caused harm. The animal would not understand this. It was just hungry. Humans might describe Satan as "pure evil." Evil cannot exist without motivations driving the decidedly evil behavior. That is why the idea of some "supremely evil" being is utter bullshit to me. Does the devil wake up every morning and go "Ok, what should I be evil about today? Should I push an old lady down the stairs, kill some dolphins? hmmm." It's all BS. Evil is just a word made for judging others.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Anonymous

Re: If you believe in the devil (or demons)... [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #785842 - 07/30/02 07:29 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

So... evil only exists within the realm of human judgement of human relations (other organisms - microbes, grizzly bears are not evil no matter how much damage they do to humans). Do you deny that within human relations there are any actions that we can judge as evil? Would you judge the actions of Hitler, Stalin or Jeffrey Dahlmer (sp) as evil or do you contend even these cannot be judged?

OfflineQuantumMeltdown
Space Monkey
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    #785883 - 07/30/02 07:50 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

NOW LIVE backwards is EVIL WON !! shit!

--------------------
-QuantumMeltdown

Total abstinence is so excellent a thing that it cannot be carried to too great an extent. In my passion for it I even carry it so far as to totally abstain from total abstinence itself.
  -Mark Twain

"The time has come the walrus said, little oysters  hide their heads, my Twain of thought is loosely bound I guess its time to Mark this down, Be good and you will be lonesome
Be lonesome and you will be free
Live a lie and you will live to regret it
That's what livin' is to me
That's what livin' is to me"
Jimmy Buffett

OfflineDroz
Love of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Floorida
    #785986 - 07/30/02 09:00 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Of course we could judge those actions to be evil. But say some animal eats all of this other animal and they become extinct. Would that be evil? So i agree with CyberChump. Words like evil used to describe certain acts are just words. Evil isn't it?

--------------------
Evolution of Time.

Invisiblebuttonion
Calmly Watching

Loc: Kansas
Re: If you believe in the devil (or demons)... [Re: QuantumMeltdown]
    #786017 - 07/30/02 09:19 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Woah... that is actually pretty trippy.

--------------------
Concepts which have been proved to be useful in ordering things easily acquire such an authority over us that we forget their human origins and accept them as invariable.- Albert Einstein

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #786046 - 07/30/02 09:30 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

So... evil only exists within the realm of human judgement of human relations (other organisms - microbes, grizzly bears are not evil no matter how much damage they do to humans). Do you deny that within human relations there are any actions that we can judge as evil?

Absolutely. You can judge anything you want as evil. You can say the guy in the red Trans Am is evil because he's cutting everyone off. That's my point; that "evil" is only ever one person's judgement. Nobody or thing is just bad for the sake of being bad, but the word evil is supposed to describe such a thing.

Would you judge the actions of Hitler, Stalin or Jeffrey Dahlmer (sp) as evil or do you contend even these cannot be judged?

Sure they can be judged. But that is different than understanding their motivations. Hitler is described as evil, but he's only evil if there is someone there to judge him based on his actions. His destrictive actions were a result of his own twisted beliefs, not any inherent generic "badness."

In other words, people don't do bad things because they're evil, they're "evil" because they do bad things.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Offlinefrogsheath
Stranger
Loc: Chicago, Illinois U.S.A.
Re: If you believe in the devil (or demons)... [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #786774 - 07/30/02 04:22 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

There's good and bad things about America. There's good and bad things about everything. We are unfortunate (or maybe fortunate) to be at that crossroads were we have to prove to everyone on this earth that WE are good. It's up to America and her allies to do that. I believe in Satan. I don't really think he (or she) is ALL that bad. We must figure THAT out too (unfortunately). That ain't gonna' be easy. America represents Satan right now to many people. We need to do something about that. Freedom, Democracy and all that is good, but we must show compassion for the downtrodden peoples of the earth cuz' they don't like our attitudes "livin' it up" so much
as we have. Freedom --it ain't cheap! America needs a new moral majority to cover our asses (and everyone elses perhaps). If there is a Satan, it's working overtime on the American people --to keep them complacent in this time of dire need for action. It's happening, but a bit too slow I'm afraid. My own contribution is to practice anti-consumptionism --except for beer and pot and mushrooms.

OfflineTannis
ZoneTrooper
Loc: MD.USA
    #787854 - 07/31/02 07:25 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

As I've said before in posts, I am an empath (that is I feel the feelings of others). I also pick up or sense "forces" both man-made and natural. Some "forces" have a form of "life" and consciousness. I sense and sometimes see these forces. I've seen demons, angels, "ghosts" and the like......

Maybe I'm just a wild kid with a crazy imagination, but I have friends who also confirm the things I sense or see. It is also very interesting that there have been times that I see a demon and instruct it to leave......suddenly a "problem" in everyday life, or an illness.....just "coincidentally" also goes away.

Also, I have never met Satan, but he did send me a message once through another demon. It hit me like a video tape that had been wired into my brain. In this "tape" Satan lampooned Christ on the cross and with a pout, asked why I was persecuting him.....then he laughed and the "tape" ended.

Offlinefrogsheath
Stranger
    #793044 - 08/02/02 04:37 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Where are the revolutionaries? Satan. You'd think it would raise SOMETHING. Nice post EVOLVING, by the way. Am I stating the obvious or just way off the mark? America is spearheading our descent into the abyss. Is this not the case? What do we have to look forward to? Other planets? Really? Tell me wise brave shroomerites. I have faith in you. Am I being arrogant to say that America has this position in history? Who is in control right now? This system is DOOMED!!! You know it. It must change. WE have the power goddammit!! If there IS a devil, it's in our hands motherfuckers!!!! Do something. Assasinating our "leaders" wouldn't be a bad place to start. There are better ways though. PLEASE, wake up and lead the human race to utopia. America has the power to move us in that direction. Paradise is in our grasp. So is extinction. So be it.

Offlinefrogsheath
Stranger
Re: If you believe in the devil (or demons)... [Re: frogsheath]
    #793307 - 08/02/02 07:03 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

2 hours have past since I posted my urgent call and NO ONE has responded. WTF???? Are we that complacent? There is nothing really evil about the dominant government/culture on this earth then? It's just business as usual. O.K.. I'm just a freak. The system will work then, is that it? You really think so? No doubts? The world will simply give in to a capitalist/corporate system and everything will be o.k.? Then it must be God. I don't think so.
Peace
Eric

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder