Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineLOBO
Vagabond

Loc: NY
Random Masters
    #785577 - 07/30/02 04:18 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I believe that the universe is always trying to teach us lessons, and some times they come from events in our life or by things said by some one that you never expected, and if you are awake in that moment the lesson could be life changing
I want to start a new thread, about the life lessons that we received from "random masters"; and how it changed us.
My purpose in starting this is not purely to tell a story, but perhaps to inspire others, like the events inspired me, so feel free to share your experience, you may never now, it could help some one else.

I was 26 years old, I was feeling at that time that I did not know what to do with my life, and in what direction to go, all the things that I really wanted to do, I felt they were just dreams, and the outside world will reaffirm this to me every time I brought it up (friends, family and even my wife, out of love she will not say it, but I saw her disbelief in her eyes, that I could ever achieve them)
One day on a vacation we took to Granada, I enrolled in a scuba diving trip four 4 days.
I would ride in the front of the boat, and in the very front of it will be the scuba master, I have to admit that the presence of this guy was different, he will not talk that much, always looking to the horizon like soaking it all in, I found out he use to live in Scotland, I kept observing, the guy and kept thinking what a grate life he had, living in a beautiful island, his work consisted in doing something that he loved every day, I in comparison was the total opposite
On the last day, coming back from the dive, the sky was semi clouded, with a dramatic sunset, he was standing gazing at the view, when I spoke to him for the first time, I said "you are a very lucky man, to live like this"
Almost annoyed for my disturbance, he looked at me and said very strong but with certain compassion, "It's not luck, I made it this way" and went back at his gazing.

I wish I could express how deep is words, affected me, I saw how petty I have been with my self, how I was feeling sorry for my self all this time instead of doing something, that I will rather listen and obey to the outside world, that to listen to my very soul.
Well to this very day his words still ring in me when I have any doubt, in fallowing my dreams.
But I can also say that I have made it to, I began to fallow my dreams, and every thing is working smoothly and the outside world is in disbelief, that I am actually living my dreams.
I thank you Scuba Master, for your lesson, you will probably never know how much your few words changed my life.

I apologize before hand for my grammar; English is not my first language.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Random Masters [Re: LOBO]
    #785636 - 07/30/02 05:14 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

That's a great lesson.

Was the guy named Steve?

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflineLOBO
Vagabond

Re: Random Masters [Re: Sclorch]
    #785661 - 07/30/02 05:40 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I don't think I asked him.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Random Masters [Re: LOBO]
    #785664 - 07/30/02 05:42 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I was in the Navy in 1975 under extreme pressure when trying to get validated as a Conscientious Objector. The extreme pressure was in the form of 3 trumped up Captain's Masts (at sea court martial) and death threats. (BTW I was eventually award C.O. status and honorobaly discharged!)

I was topside on the U.S.S. Horne (the horney boat - lol!) at night in the middle of the Pacific feeling sorry for myself. A buddy stopped by and after looking at my down expression asked what was wrong. I proceded to give him a laundry list of my troubles when he interjected.

"Are you hungry?" he asked. "No." I replied.
"Are you cold?" he asked. "No." I replied.
"Are you sick?" he asked. "No." I replied.

"Nice night, isn't it?" he asked. I looked up at the amazing night sky. "Yes, its beautiful." I replied.

"SO JUST WHAT THE FUCK IS YOUR PROBLEM?!" he thundered.

I was immediately thrown into the "now" by this erstwhile Zen master. He showed me that I was ruining the present moment by constantly carrying all my shit with me.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineLOBO
Vagabond

Re: Random Masters [Re: Swami]
    #785681 - 07/30/02 05:58 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Just Beautiful, I had a strong feeling that you were the one to post the first experience.

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Random Masters [Re: Swami]
    #785688 - 07/30/02 06:05 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Great stories.

When I was in my twenties I was working in a steel mill doing some outside contractor work. It was in the winter over the holidays with lots of snow and biting cold. I was working the ground at the base of the ladder sending tools, etc to the men on the roof; a gopher.

As I was standing there in the cold waiting for the next order an old black man came up to me. The lines on his weathered face showed that he had seen many winters. I have never forgotten his words to me.

He said, "How old are you, son?"

I said, "Twenty-three."

He said, "You gotta a long way to go and a short time to get there. You probably don't know what that means right now, but later you will. I was about your age when an old man told that to me."

Then, he walked away.

I just stood there in the cold thinking about what he had said and wondering what it meant. The snow was falling gently covering the harsh mill scenery with a beautiful blanket of snow. Throughout the day and the days to come I pondered the meaning of what he had said. Now and then I would pull out that story down through the years and think about it. Finally, some years later, it dawned on me. I was at least ten years older before it hit me.

Now, every once in a great while I find myself in the proximity of a young man that might use that advice. So in turn, I offer the same comment, planting a seed that has passed down for at least two generations.

Life is brief, don't waste it.

How old

Offlinesleepysmoker
Stranger

Re: Random Masters [Re: ]
    #2084663 - 11/08/03 05:07 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

lobo, would it be too crazy to ask you what that dream everyone put down was? and if it was the one you ended up following

OfflineSlapnutRob
Toolhead

Loc: Michigan
Re: Random Masters [Re: sleepysmoker]
    #2084967 - 11/08/03 07:28 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I worked at Hot 'n Now Hamburgers for two years, primarily at the drive through window, taking orders and money at the same time. If you have worked drive through at fast food, you know how impatient customers can be. They're really picky too... it makes you wonder why they just don't go home and make their own damn food.... but anyways... I remember one particular day when we were very very busy. I think we were also very shorthanded and this line of customers were having to wait 5-10 minutes each. We were making horrible time, and of course many of the customers weren't too happy, and a couple probably even drove off. The only thing I really remember is this elderly couple who came through--they seemed to be in their 70s or 80s. From the moment they got up to the window they were both smiling, and I apologized for the time just as I had to everyone else. However, unlike the other customers, they both retained their smiles and the man, who was driving, said something I'll never forget: "That's ok. Life is like that sometimes. You just have to be patient."

--------------------
Anything stated above is fictional roleplay dialog by the character that is Slapnut Rob, in no way representing the actions or beliefs of the man behind the keys.

Invisiblequestioning
shaker
Loc: joisey
Re: Random Masters [Re: SlapnutRob]
    #2085595 - 11/08/03 11:34 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I was little, maybe 3. I was really upset. I mean, i was throwing a fit at my grandparents house. My grandpa picked me up and goes 'now what's the problem?'
i told him my story, why i was upset and mad. I don't remember what it was.
He looks at me and says 'well, right now i have to shave, i really don't want to. in fact, i think i won't. i really hate shaving. it's the most boring chore EVER!' he rambled on about hating shaving for awhile. Then he says 'well, what do you think i should do? should i shave?' i felt his cheek and told him it was scratchy, and that he needed to shave. He winks at me and says 'it's tough, having to put up with a face that grows hair every day, but in the end, i'll look back at all the years of my life, every thing i love, and i can tell you what i won't be thinking of or regretting. Shaving. And now what were you upset about again?'

i couldn't remember.

"that's exactly my point. You have to do things you don't want to do sometimes, just in order to keep life interesting. When something starts to annoy you, remember that it's only one small drawback, to that wonderful thing called Life. If you had it easy, you wouldn't realize how great the good is."

My grandpa died a few months later, and he left me with the one piece of advice that will help me every single day for the rest of my life. I had no idea what he was talking about at the time, i sort of forgot about it until i got my first homework assignment.

--------------------
important questions sometimes involve a quest to answer.

InvisibleTheDude
is waiting forthe peak

Re: Random Masters [Re: questioning]
    #2085663 - 11/09/03 12:18 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Old folks are the shit.

I wish our society didn't treat them like useless sacks of death. They really do have some wisdom to share, along with some great stories. We just have to learn to listen.

--------------------
"this lebowski he called himself 'the dude'. now, 'dude', that's a name no one would self-apply where i come from but there was a lot about the dude that didn't make sense to me...."--the Stranger

OfflineLOBO
Vagabond

Re: Random Masters [Re: sleepysmoker]
    #2126818 - 11/21/03 06:54 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

lobo, would it be too crazy to ask you what that dream everyone put down was? and if it was the one you ended up following

At that moment I was very unhappy with my life was living and working in NY city, I felt that the rat race was consuming me, to escape this I use to day dream living in the woods.
Yes I been living in a Log cabin for 3 years now on 30 acres of woods and fields, with all the time to gaze at the stars.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies