Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblefjbk47985
Has Been AbsentFor Far Too Long
Maybe shrooms are actually bad?
    #784472 - 07/29/02 03:00 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I was just commin down from a trip and then thought of this (ironic eh?). Well you know how plant evolution allows them to grow methods of defending themselfs from attackers, like thorns, traps etc... Well the stuff in mushrooms is probably it's way of defending itself from animals and what we're actually doing is poisoning ourselfs over and over again and the only reason we're not dying is because we're a lot bigger then chipmunks or whatever. I mean think about it...

Cannabis doesn't have a defensive mechanism because it is made to be eaten (read from National Geographic on Gorillas) but with mushies it's differant.

So i guess what i'm trying to say is that it might actually be better to stick to weed and that all this jazz about respecting the mushies doesn't matter because it was designed to hurt us.

What do you think, and i know i'm gonna get flamed for bashing shrooms but can i get one or two real posts b4 that starts

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineChubbSubb
Zen Lunatic

Loc: Here.
Re: Maybe shrooms are actually bad? [Re: fjbk47985]
    #784499 - 07/29/02 03:17 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

So i guess what i'm trying to say is that it might actually be better to stick to weed and that all this jazz about respecting the mushies doesn't matter because it was designed to hurt us.

I can see your point, but do not agree with you. Mushies have NEVER hurt me really, maybe some stomach discomfort but thats it. Psilly is not a poison either.
Peace, Trev

--------------------
Those who know do not speak.
Those who speak do not know.

OfflinePoopman
Man of Poop
Loc: Los Angeles
    #784502 - 07/29/02 03:17 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Before this discussion goes any further, I think someone should define what the active chemicals in psilocybe mushrooms acutally are. Or at least get a quote from a web site.

Invisiblefjbk47985
Has Been AbsentFor Far Too Long
Re: Maybe shrooms are actually bad? [Re: Poopman]
    #784512 - 07/29/02 03:22 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

both good points..
i'm gonna take a look around erowid and some other places and see what that turns up. I don't think there's much else that's actve besides the psylocybin.

InvisibleDreaMaTrix
Shaman I am

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Falling into place
    #784518 - 07/29/02 03:25 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

>Well the stuff in mushrooms is probably it's way of defending itself from animals and what we're actually doing is poisoning ourselfs over and over again and the only reason we're not dying is because we're a lot bigger then chipmunks or whatever. I mean think about it...

Nobody is really sure why the mushrooms produce psilocybin (the active ingredient).
The deadly dose of psilocybin containing mushrooms, is more than ones body weight, I don't think any animal consumes that much.

>So i guess what i'm trying to say is that it might actually be better to stick to weed and that all this jazz about respecting the mushies doesn't matter because it was designed to hurt us.

Stick to whatever works for you. If you think mushrooms are poisoning you, leave 'em alone.
My experiences coming down from a mushroom tryp is that these are one of the most interesting/beautiful/enigmatic lifeforms on this planet. I have never thought of them in terms of a poison, quite opposite actually, my brain/body likes them

Good luck

--------------------

"We are the one's we have been waiting for" - Hopi saying

Offlinegreenlight
greenlight
Loc: USA
    #784620 - 07/29/02 04:13 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Um, if an animal that's 10% our size eats some mushrooms, they probably won't like it.

(1) The effects would (theoretically) be much stronger for small animals...
(2) They wouldn't be expecting it. (We KNOW what we're eating)...
(3) It wouldn't be good for them. Imagine trying to hunt or escape a hunter while you're tripping your ass off...Imagine seeing a natural predator that's not actually there, or *not* seeing a predator that *is* there.

There's a very good chance that the psychoactive effects are a defense mechanism. It seems like it would work.

--------------------
Disclaimer: Everything I've typed is of a fictional nature.

OfflineDaTHChold
Stranger
Re: Maybe shrooms are actually bad? [Re: greenlight]
    #784708 - 07/29/02 04:48 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

no ones broguht up the point of how mushrooms have dated back... a long time, enough time for evolution to take place, and people back then have done mushrooms, or so ive heard...

also this would be the same as saying a vegie such as... letuce, green pepper.. etc will eventually evolve to poison us too....

all in the end i think the God that created the earth put certain goodies for us to experience... such as cannibis and shrooms...

also you have to think of other drugs like acid... drugs that do hurt us

mush is bad for our bodies for the few days that their in our system but after that i dont think their even detectable

Offlinedickdeadly
rælity

Loc: in my mind
Re: Maybe shrooms are actually bad? [Re: DaTHChold]
    #784745 - 07/29/02 05:08 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

well, spicy foods such as jalapenos are the pepper's defense mechanism, but people like it. so maybe he's got a point, ive heard mushrooms being called poisonous before and someone told me "yeah, it's poison running through your body" so maybe it's just a "poison" we like, like jalapenos

--------------------

Character is how you act when you think no one is watching

OfflineChubbSubb
Zen Lunatic

Loc: Here.
Re: Maybe shrooms are actually bad? [Re: dickdeadly]
    #784761 - 07/29/02 05:13 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Poison - 1 a : a substance that through its chemical action usually kills, injures, or impairs an organism b (1) : something destructive or harmful (2) : an object of aversion or abhorrence
2 : a substance that inhibits the activity of another substance or the course of a reaction or process

I really do not think mushies are harmful....

--------------------
Those who know do not speak.
Those who speak do not know.

OfflineEvilGir
Im the on coming storm

Loc: Planet Irk
Re: Maybe shrooms are actually bad? [Re: ChubbSubb]
    #784836 - 07/29/02 05:42 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Ok then if Magick mushrooms are bad then why are somespecies of mushrooms poisioness and can kill you.

Also the active chemicle in magic mushrooms are too simular to some of our own brain chemistry in thath they lock in to our own brain receptor sites(seratonein).
Where as a poision will effect the vital organs and not be too specific.
The chemicle psilocybin is also only two steps away from dmt which is only oraly active with a MAOI.

--------------------
Fighting the man the best way I can.

Edited by jezu (07/29/02 06:05 PM)

Offlinefunwithgus
Loc: Philadelphia area
    #785213 - 07/29/02 08:17 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Maybe I misunderstood you but "cannabis doesn't have a defense mechanism it was made to be eaten" is not reasonable at all. Have you ever eaten a 1/4 oz of weed or more. When I ate 1/4 oz I was fucked up for around 12 hours. It was more incapacitating and lasted longer than a couple gram shroom trip! Practically anything can be considered a poison if done to excess. Drink a gallon of water as fast as you can and what happens? You puke. Swallow some warm water with a couple grams of salt disolved in it and guess what happens? You throw up. Eat a couple tablespoons of mustard in warm water and you'll also vomit. It really is not a matter of what substance it is so much as what quantity and how quickly you ingest it.

--------------------
Say, can I have some of your purple berries?
Yes, I've been eating them, for six or seven weeks now, haven't got sick once.

Anonymous

#785224 - 07/29/02 08:25 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Maybe it's not that shrooms are poisonous, maybe the hallucinations are enough to keep away predators in term of freaking them out. I know I wouldn't want to be tripping balls when an eagle is after me.

Offlinefunwithgus
Loc: Philadelphia area
Re: Maybe shrooms are actually bad? [Re: Anonymous]
    #785266 - 07/29/02 08:58 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

That might be true for mammals and birds. There are a lot more reptiles, insects, slugs, fungi, and bacteria. Do they "trip"? Do they even have serotonin (sp.)?

--------------------
Say, can I have some of your purple berries?
Yes, I've been eating them, for six or seven weeks now, haven't got sick once.

Edited by funwithgus (07/29/02 09:00 PM)

Offlinecantankerous

Loc: hidden in your terrarium
    #785524 - 07/30/02 03:14 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

okay the facts...

cannabis is theorized to have a defense mechanism-the resin, not against heat as popular myth but against bugs, again this is the most reasonable theory but not enough evidence to be considered fact.

psilocybin and psilocyin may be a poison as much as sugar is a poison. the LD50 for these chemicals in humans is more than one's body weight. what it does to other animals is irrelevant ( dogs die from chocolate). these chemicals mimic the brains own chemicals to a certain degree and kind of "tickle" your brain. the FDA lists the toxicity of these chemicals on the same magnitude as asprin.

there is much more to write but i am tired... enjoy.

InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

Loc: ^^ His house ^^
Re: Maybe shrooms are actually bad? [Re: cantankerous]
    #785644 - 07/30/02 05:21 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

"dogs die from chocolate"

Were you making that up or did you hear that somewhere? I feel my dog chocolate all the time and he doesnt die.....

Perhaps the active chemicals are a defence mechanism. Well think about it an animal eats the mushroom once, tripps out and (obviously) hates it so they will never, ever eat it again. That means the mushroom survives.

As for humans, it does no harm to us. Even if it is a defence mechanism it doesnt hurt/scare us so its not bad.

Things are what you think they are.....
Fd

--------------------

"I could walk up to the president and blow smoke in his stupid monkey face and all he could do is stand there grooving on it" - Homer Simpson

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
Re: Maybe shrooms are actually bad? *DELETED* [Re: fjbk47985]
    #785774 - 07/30/02 06:55 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by CyberChump

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Offlinecantankerous

Loc: hidden in your terrarium
Re: Maybe shrooms are actually bad? [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #785896 - 07/30/02 08:00 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

where do you get this stuff from???

yes, chocolate is poisonous to most dogs( I did not make that up) . MANY MANY plants are meant to be eaten, meaning the fruits of the plants. this disperses seeds for propagation of the species. these are simple questions that can be answered in a basic botany book. read and enjoy.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Re: Maybe shrooms are actually bad? [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #786091 - 07/30/02 09:48 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

What are you talking about no plant was meant to be eaten??? Dude, plants have actually evolved TO be eaten. That is a way that many of them reproduce. They've developed seed-containing fruits which certain animals eat. The seeds are not digested in the animal's stomach and are passed with the animal's feces. This method ensures seed dispersal and survival of that plant species. Certain seeds are actually unable to grow until after they have eaten and passed through an animals digestive system! I believe some mushroom spores work in this same way.

--------------------
Namaste.

Invisibledoozer
off the deep end
    #786218 - 07/30/02 11:00 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Cool thread. lots of good input from everybody.
I personaly don't care if shrooms are a poison, although I see your point. Its not entirely unreasonable to think like that especialy when coming down from a trip. But as far as I see it, it provides pleasure and actually enhances my life. Pleasure and enhancement don't exactly fall in my poison definition. I choose to see them in a "they're meant to be eaten" kinda attitude.
Yes, lots of plants, fruits and grasses are meant to be eaten. Its just the way of the world. But some one was talking about shroom spores passing thru the digestive tract. I have no idea if spores are destoyed dy digestion, but what a cool tek that would be:
step1: eat some fresh shrooms and experience
step2: wait a day and a half
step3: shit in a sterile tupperware container
step4: wait 3 weeks
step5: fan and mist and give a little light
step6: harvest

Offlineravingbanana
Every Girl'sSexual Desire

Re: Maybe shrooms are actually bad? [Re: doozer]
    #786227 - 07/30/02 11:04 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I think that god pissed on the shrooms and god's piss makes us hallucinate.

--------------------
If Bin Laden eats worms.. Would he be equal to nutritional value of worm castings?
If you could have sex with a person's voice.. Your voice would be the one I'd pick to rape.
Don't worry.. I have a seven inch penis.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate