Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Boomr Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetobymac420
The Man with a Misson!
Male

Loc: Chi-Town, IL
New to the game....
    #7848148 - 01/08/08 02:09 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Im new to growing mushrooms and I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on a few aspects. I have read 3 guides and watched the movies online made by Roadkill. What I wanna know which is not explained on those is exactly How long does it take from start to finish grow shrooms? Also how much does everything cost, I am gonna guy the RoadKill Special from a site which is 5 Syringes for $50. But how much is the jars and all that usally. I plan on growing inside clear tubs. If there is anything I left out im sorry. Thank You guys so much and look for a grow journal soon.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCrasher
αἱρετίζω
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Tardy to the Party
Re: New to the game.... [Re: tobymac420]
    #7848177 - 01/08/08 02:15 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Hey, welcome. You've got a lot of reading to do.

From inoculation to harvest?
About 4-8 weeks is the best I can offer.

Cost is up to you, depending on what materials you buy. Jars, tubs, substrates, tools, crafts... I usually spend 200 bucks to get everything ready, and then not much to maintain afterwards.

Make sure you check out the sponsors here for good deals and reputable service.

read read read.

Have fun. Never feel afraid to experiment either.

--------------------
Give me silence, water, hope;
Give me struggle, iron, volcanoes...

Edited by Crasher (01/08/08 02:23 PM)

Offlinetobymac420
The Man with a Misson!
Male

Re: New to the game.... [Re: Crasher]
    #7848199 - 01/08/08 02:18 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Yes I will be buying my spores from Ralphsters Spores. See im trying to make this as cheap as possible for my first 5 grows just to make sure I dont just blow money on it, IF it goes good and people like, Than I will wanna use alot more products. I plan on my first time to have 3 diffrent kinds of shrooms going at once in a closet, Does this sound like it would be ok???

Toby Mac

OfflineFraggin
Multi-Faceted
 User Gallery

#7848219 - 01/08/08 02:21 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

tobymac420 said:Im new to growing mushrooms

Excellent, then you have lots of reading to do.

Quote:

and I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on a few aspects. I

Opinions will vary

Quote:

have read 3 guides and watched the movies online made by Roadkill.

Then how could you possibly have any questions?

Quote:

What I wanna know which is not explained on those is exactly How long does it take from start to finish grow shrooms?

From 1 to 3 days to sporulate. From 3 weeks to a month to colonize jars of substrate. From 3 to 5 days from birth to pinning. About 5 to 10 days from pinning to harvest. These are for slightly less than optimum conditions. A short answer, about 6 weeks to two months from inoculation to harvest. Sometimes longer if you spawn to bulk. Add a few extra days if you colonize at room temps. BTW, Seasoned growers hate it when noobs ask how long. Patience is key.

Quote:

Also how much does everything cost, I am gonna guy the RoadKill

Some have managed to grow without spending a dime. Others have sank thousands of dollars into this hobby with bulk amounts of substrate, microscopes, laboratory tests, etc. You wanna drive a Benz or a VW? It's all subjective.

Quote:

Special from a site which is 5 Syringes for $50. But how much is the jars and all that usally.

A dozen jars less than $12

Quote:

I plan on growing inside clear tubs. If there is anything I left out im sorry. Thank You guys so much and look for a grow journal soon.

Here's what you left out....

What kind of tek you are going to follow.
How you plan to sterilize substrate.
The type of substrate to be used.
The kinds of mushrooms you will be growing.
Relative equipment, PC, FC,Jar Size, Humidificaiton, etc.

Offlinehighc
creator
Male User Gallery

Loc: maryland
    #7848231 - 01/08/08 02:23 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Well welcome to the forums and i believe i have some answers for you.

1. Mushrooms can be inoculated and ready to eat in as little as a month. But generally 6-8 weeks is about a good time. It all sepends on many factors including strain growing conditions and procedures. Being a first time grower i'd expect about 2 months for your first grow.

2. Not trying to screw Roadkill out of money but i am unaware if you will be recieving different spores for $50 or all the same. IMO 5 syringes of the same strain is a waste of money. One syringe can do 10 brf jars of unlimited grains. Then when you have a successful grow you can easily make a print or syringe, ands never have to worry about that strain again. If your getting 5 different strains then very good deal.

3. I spent about $120-$150 on everything i needed to start except for the PC. I did not know if i was going to continue this hobby so i did not purchase one at first. this $135 included tubs, water heater, syringe, jars, vermiculite, perlite, touch light, alcohol, glovebox materials, oust, and desiccant.

4. Word to the wise is to prepare your own jars. It can be much cheaper. But i do know a place where you can get 6 jars for $21. the jars are 15 but they charge $11 shipping.
Each Jar includes:
1.Medium Grain Horticulture Vermiculite
2.Organic, Fresh ground Brown Rice Flour
3.Mineral Water
4.Worm Castings
5.Bee Pollen
Jars are then Pressure Sterilized for 90 minutes at 15 PSI.
Shipped Fresh everyday

i do not believe i am allowed to freely post the site of a non shroomery vendor even though they dont sell spores. However PM me and i will be happy to give you the address. I have had 2 experiences with the site and they are very reliable.

--------------------

OfflineMYSTIQUE
Say Hi to the elves for me.
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: New to the game.... [Re: highc]
    #7848257 - 01/08/08 02:29 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

My first grow was around 40 or 50 bucks. spores and some jars brf and verm and perlite. I got a list some were in these threads where a few of us did comparisons on the cheapest grow possible. I think the thread was called "Cost of getting started". Good luck and just keep reading there is nothing you can ask that hasn't already been answered like 400 times :laugh:

--------------------
Dont know what the fuck I just said? READ THIS
http://www.shroomery.org/5122/The-Shroomery-Mushroom-Glossary
I ain't a hippy but I'm covered in dirt                         
Sippin lots of mushroom tea in a tye-dye shirt
Chasin' the Grateful Dead, no shoes on my feet
Beggin' in the parking lot for something to eat,

:onfire:DO NOT USE FIRE IN YOUR GLOVE BOX!!!!!!!:onfire:

Offlinetobymac420
The Man with a Misson!
Male

Re: New to the game.... [Re: MYSTIQUE]
    #7848632 - 01/08/08 03:46 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Actually My wife works at a hardware store where they sell jars for 7.99 for a dozen and she gets 10% above cost discount so it will be about 4 dollars. The Roadkill comes with 6 Diffrent strains of Shrooms. So I belive that is a great deal. Pretty much the only things I will have a hard time doing is Waiting. Now another question. I have read 3 things that say Dry 2 Things that said dont dry. What is your guys outlook on this. I belive either way that they still have the same affect correct?

Toby Mac

InvisibleCaptain Cubensis
Bleeding HeartLiberal

#7848678 - 01/08/08 03:54 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Skip PF cakes, IMHO, go straight to rye berries and coir.

Coir is a good 2nd choice to horse poo, without any of the hassle.

--------------------
www.groworganic.com
Get 350lbs shipped to your door for only $100!
www.mycosupply.com
Online Organic Rye Berries
www.hydroponics.net/i/200002
The Cyclestat 4P, a great repeat cycle timer made in the USA.

OfflineSkeeblix
Dave Thomas
Male

Loc: Wendy's
    #7848710 - 01/08/08 04:00 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

The only difference as far as dried vs fresh mushrooms is the dosage. Some will argue that a trip off fresh mushrooms is an entirely different thing from one off dried shrooms, but I've never eaten them fresh, so I can't lend any kind of opinion to this.

The only thing you really want to stay away from is too much heat. If you end up using a dehydrator, try to keep it set as low as possible, as psilocybin is oxidized more readily when heated.

You can use desiccant in an airtight container to dry your mushrooms as well, or you can just throw them on a piece of screen nailed to an easy-to-build wooden frame, and lay them on top of a fan.

It all comes down to what's easiest for you, there's plenty of ways to go about doing everything in this hobby, and while spending more money will affect your success for the better, you can still be a competent grower without spending thousands of dollars on equipment.

--------------------
This post approved by:

Premedman1 said:
:lol: I just shat my pants.

Edited by Skeeblix (01/10/08 10:04 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Boomr Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder