Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblet00th
something terrible
Male
Loc: the dirty dirty
first cake!
    #7841916 - 01/06/08 11:23 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

so i just took my first cake (1 pint brf pf tek/b+) out of it's jar and it's dunking right now. this is my first cake that i've ever had successfully colonize. and i have 3 more that are at 95%+. my plan was to wait and do them all at the same time. but i have been waiting months. it has literally taken 3-3 1/2 months to fully colonize. im not sure why it took so long for me. i think cold weather played a part.

anyway, im kind of worried. when i was hitting the jar on the sink upside down to get the cake out it came out half way and when i hit it down again a TINY (1/2 long) part came out of the top of the cake. it was right on the vermiculite border so it could have just been have verm. im not really sure, its hard to tell. i know if i did knock the mycellem that would leave it open to contams so im kind of worried. and it didn't come out of the jar clean and smooth, it kept getting stuck. i felt i was rough with it when i was getting it out and dealing with it, but i might just be paranoid. i guess ill just have to wait and see. it's my first grow, so im just trying to learn all i can at this point. and i have 3 jars left (and 8 more at about 60% colonization of puerto rican/penis envy following behind.

i will be fruiting in a large tub. with holes drilled on all sides (even the bottom?) with a 4-6 inch layer or perilite. i want to think its called a shotgun, but i can't remember off the top of my head. i wanted to keep it simple and effective on my first grow. i will be dunking and rolling though.

any thoughts/advice for a first time grower?

--------------------
:partykid:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNaveed
Student
Male

Re: first cake! [Re: t00th]
    #7842032 - 01/07/08 12:10 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

In my opinion the cake is fine if it was fully colonized

I've smashed a regular narrow mouth jar to get a cake out and it turned out fine no contam, as well as a cake I cut into pieces to remove out the jar.

I put the pieces back together and it fruited fine with no contamination but took about a week to start its fruiting cycle from the shock I am guessing.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: first cake! [Re: Naveed]
    #7842294 - 01/07/08 04:45 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

A small peice coming of the cake is if fine, it wont open it up to contams, the mycelium should have colinised the entire substrate.

Pint jars can take exceptionaly long and sometimes stall. 1/2 done properly should colinise in 2-3 weeks from multispore.

The cakes can sometimes be stubborn to get out, its alright to bang the jar to get it out.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: first cake! [Re: Naveed]
    #7842302 - 01/07/08 04:58 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

You will be fine.

You are doing the correct procedure for cakes. Birth, dunk + roll, into a shotgun terrarium.

Hopefully you will see fruits soon.

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale