Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinesBUD
enthusiast
drying ur freshies outside when its an overcast.
    #784185 - 07/29/02 12:54 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

K, i have read that u should not dry ur fresh shrooms outside cus the sun will destroy the psilocybin/psilocin(???)
in ur babies. Now if thats the case, what happens if it isnt sunny outside and lets say its an overcast
but it is dam hot (over 85+F) and we put them babies on a rack and let it dry naturally, could it still work or
would that still be the same thing??

Has any1 used a food dehydrator to dry? I know u have to remove the heating element but
does it cut down on the amount of time it takes to get that crispy dry crunch that u want??

sBUD

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
Re: drying ur freshies outside when its an overcast. [Re: sBUD]
    #784215 - 07/29/02 01:08 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I have no experience with drying outside on an overcast day, but I wouldn't do this. Why not just use a fan to dry them? Failing this, why not stick them in a closed container filled with something like silica gel, damp rid, or even epsom salt?

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

Offlinesoundwave106
    #786577 - 07/30/02 02:26 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

As a newbie, I'm trying a dehydrator right now (for a flush, producing about 10 shrooms including two HUGE mushrooms that purpled the stems nicely. Darn, wish I had caught it a day earlier.) Anyways, I'll let you know the results... I've had BAD luck with both air-dry and desscient, between them about 40 shrooms were ruined.

Florida is such a humid environment - great for the perlite chamber, but it makes drying a pain in the ass. Hard to control mold and bacteria as well. 95 degree dehydrating (the lowest of the Nesco I got at Wal-Mart) in a closed container I hope will prevent the problems shrooms run into in the Florida house.

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: soundwave106]
    #786725 - 07/30/02 03:55 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

OfflinesBUD
enthusiast
Re: drying ur freshies outside when its an overcast. [Re: matts]
    #786826 - 07/30/02 04:51 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Thx soudwave , mickey and matts!

On ur flush with 10 shrooms , did ya dunk them b4 birthing them s.wave? I got 4 measly ones without dunking ..then on the next 2 cakes , i dunked them and now i got 14 pins goin and another 6 on the other cake on a first flush...hopefully they'll keep rolling the pins out =D
U mean u got purple stems on 2 of ya big ass shrooms??? How did that happen and why?? What does it mean when it gets purple??

Yea tell me how the dehydrator wentl. Thx dude!

I just figured i ask about drying outside mickey ..happened to cross my mind one day. Seemed like a natural and harmless way but maybe it aint =[
A fan takes too long but some1 did tell me about epsome salt. What is silica gel and damp rid and where can u find those items?? Is it a chemical like dessicant?

Hey matts, how long did ya fan them on top of the fan box b4 u put them in the dehydrator?? Why didnt u just put them in the dehydrator right away? Was it difficult to remove the heating element from the unit....heard that u had to do that otherwise u'll be destroying the psilocybin! =[

sBUD

Edited by sBUD (07/30/02 04:56 PM)

Invisiblediseased
Stranger
    #786830 - 07/30/02 04:55 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

put a few out to dry and then test eat some to test it out. a lot of things get blown out of proportion. it may not hurt them much at all. every one makes a huge deal over heat destroying the actives, but ive boiled batches of tea almost to a sludge and tripped nuts every time. psilocybin may be unstable in light, but if you think about it, when theyre growing out side in the sun, and the veil breaks, at this point they are supposedly no longer producing psilocybin. now any actives that are being destroyed by the sun are not going to be replenished. that supposed destruction combined with the fact that the friut is rapidly increasing in size at the same time would seem that it would render them almost inactive, or at least very weak. has anyone noticed this to be the case? now surely i would experiment before putting your whole harvest out there, because i have no idea.
just my 2 cents...

OfflinesBUD
enthusiast
Re: drying ur freshies outside when its an overcast. [Re: diseased]
    #786850 - 07/30/02 05:04 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

that is so true diseased. I'll try with a few , i mean losing 2 babies aint gonna kill me and u'll never know if u dont try and ppl DO tend to blow things out of proportion. I'll let every1 know then.
Yea nature doesnt have the luxury of covering up its babies from the sun when the veil breaks or as it matures and yet it still produces some awesome results.
I sure wish mother nature could talk cus she knows more than any one of us does....natures secret LOL

Thx diseased!!!

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
    #786869 - 07/30/02 05:11 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

In reply to:

A fan takes too long but some1 did tell me about epsome salt. What is silica gel and damp rid and where can u find those items??

Well, the best way would be to fan dry them for about 12-24 hours and them stick them in a container with dessicant.

Silica gel may be purchased as the "crystals" cat litter. It literally looks like crystals and has no "clay" granules at all in it. 100% pure silica gel. You can also find the stuff at auto supply stores as a floor drying agent. Make sure the ingredients list only silica gel. Click here for pictures and information concerning what type of litter you need to look for.

Damp rid is calcium chloride. It is easily found at many hardware and grocery stores. Click here for pictures and information concerning the different ways Damp Rid is packaged.

My personal ratings would be:

• 1) Dri-Rite
  • 2) Silica Gel
  • 3) Damp Rid
  • 4) Epsom Salt

Good luck and of course, YMMV.

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

OfflineSwondPooping
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
Female
Loc: third drawer from the top...
    #786882 - 07/30/02 05:18 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I use a food dehydrator for mine and IMO the heat that a dehydrator puts out is so minimal that its can be dismissed. I drilled holes in the sides of the trays to allow more airflow as well, so not just the heated air would be doing the drying. Most, even the biggest ones, dried in about 4-6 hours, then I put them over a dessicant to get them to the cracker dry stage.

I don't know about drying them outside, but from what I have read elsewhere, you would be better off to use a fan, or a light bulb and a black t shirt. Good luck to you.

K

--------------------
^Pure Fiction^
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Edited by SwondPooping (07/30/02 05:19 PM)

InvisibleDarkmoon
Thinker

#787099 - 07/30/02 07:18 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

yea from what i have read epsom salt is not the best but it does the job.

Epsom in action!

God luck!

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: drying ur freshies outside when its an overcast. [Re: mickey_rourke]
    #787224 - 07/30/02 08:28 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

You forgot "Driveway Heat"

Pure Calcium Chloride

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Invisiblediseased
Stranger
    #787771 - 07/31/02 06:26 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

this is from the Lycaeum:
"There are a few methods of drying mushrooms, although I have found dried shrooms to be MUCH weaker than fresh ones. One way to dry them is by placing them on a cookie sheet in an oven on the lowest temp. with the door slightly open. Simply drying them in sunlight is said to work also. "

http://leda.lycaeum.org/Documents/How_to_Grow_Psychedelic_Mushrooms.10369.shtml

i dont know though, he goes on to say 4 grams dry only gave him a slight buzz, and that a rice cake is good for 2-4 people, so i dont know what to make of it

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Re: drying ur freshies outside when its an overcast. [Re: diseased]
    #787892 - 07/31/02 07:49 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

In reply to:

"There are a few methods of drying mushrooms, although I have found dried shrooms to be MUCH weaker than fresh ones. One way to dry them is by placing them on a cookie sheet in an oven on the lowest temp. with the door slightly open. Simply drying them in sunlight is said to work also."

I have a feeling that this person's drying methods contribute to the serious lack in potency experienced. LOL

--------------------

Offlinesoundwave106
    #791290 - 08/01/02 05:41 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Well, this is the result of the humidifier:

I?m not sure about the potency yet, but they look right! This is about, oh, 18 shrooms of various sizes (small to large). I cut the cap off than split the stem down the middle. (Is the potency same throughout the mushroom I wonder?) The food dehydrator for 24 hours worked to get it cracker dry.

My dehydrator goes down to 95 degrees. At that temp I don?t think you really are destroying the psilocybin... you are basically blowing sort-of warm air over the mushrooms to dry. We?ll see... need to test the potency of these babies.

As for what purple means... mushroom spores are purple. This is one case where I don?t think it was contamination... lets see, mushroom cap pulled open all the way, slight purple stains on the stem... must have spilled its seed overnight.

I?m not doing dunking. I?m merely doing the PF Tek (2.5 ccs per pint jar though) with perlite right now. When the mushrooms spore best seems to be when I leave it in a room by a window with natural sunlight coming in slightly. That?s my theory: I didn?t have a spawn when I had the chamber under the bed. But when I moved it near the window, the mushrooms produced this:

That ended up getting ruined by bad drying.

Because strangers are visiting the apartment right now, the cake is under the bed. As a result, the spores are less impressive:

Still enough to eat for me and a few friends.

Edited by soundwave106 (08/01/02 05:45 PM)

OfflinesBUD
enthusiast
Re: drying ur freshies outside when its an overcast. [Re: soundwave106]
    #792497 - 08/02/02 10:39 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Wowowowwww, those r some impressive cakes there s.wave!!! I've only succeeded in several cakes and if u
put them altogther
they dont even get near what u have in that one cake in the middle!!! I wanna be like Mike??? screw that.
I wanna be like soundwave LOL

What strain is that...treasure coast???

My spores when they leak onto the perlite is black. The purple u get may be an idication that it's gonna
be some kick ass shrooms ...sure hope so!

U put all ur shrooms in the dehydrator for 24 hours STRAIGHT!!??? Some1 told me that splitting them is a bad idea
and that u should dry whole? They say it xposes more of its surface and it oxidizes the shrooms and may well
decrese potency. But who knows, tell us how they are when u get around to eating.

i keep mines by the window too.

nice job sound!!

Offlinerheidiohed121
Simeon

#792513 - 08/02/02 10:47 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I microwave epsom salt until all of the moisture in it is gone then put the mush on a paper towel over it. they are good within a day.

--------------------
i apologize if i aide in the spreading of any misinformation

"Adventavit asinus,
Pulcher et fortissimus"

OfflineAlice_In_Chains
journeyman
Re: drying ur freshies outside when its an overcast. [Re: rheidiohed121]
    #792636 - 08/02/02 11:59 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

How long do you microwave the epsom salt for?

Offlinesoundwave106
    #792817 - 08/02/02 02:18 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Strain is PF Stropharia I think. (I got Stropharia and Hawaiian, and didn't mark which was which.)

I couldn't find too much on dehydrator technique, so I sort of winged it. All I know is after 10 hours, the mushrooms shrunk a ton, but the big ones (those two huge mushrooms that came out of the first flush of a cake) still were a bit wet, at least from what I thought. The second batch I didn't check... I don't think it'll hurt anything to be patient.

Now to find the time to eat these suckers and test potency. Hopefully this weekend.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate