Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinerobbyberto
Water Boy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Netherlands Flag
Re: .FLAC [Re: automan]
    #7844295 - 01/07/08 04:02 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

automan said:
Quote:

AroundtheSon said:
What about these Bose?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7933748&type=product&id=1152228083992

bose are notoriously bad speakers in the speaker community. how are they so successful? name another speaker company you see infomercials for.

Well, is there any system that you can recommend? A company, even.

--------------------
“People say having kids is life changing, well that doesn’t necessarily mean a good thing, does it? I could take one of my legs off. That would change my life.” -Karl Pilkington

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Re: .FLAC [Re: robbyberto]
    #7844461 - 01/07/08 04:42 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

for under $150, i like the Klipsch speakers. But if you have the a few hundred bucks more, no one beats M-Audiowhen it comes to computer speakers.

honestly, though, the best situation would be to have a great sound card running an optical spdif out to a true home loudspeaker set via a good amp. the sky is the limit in terms of how much you can spend in that arena, though. i really dig plinius pre and power amps driving nearfield acoustic's pipedream loudspeakers. but as a disclaimer, i use to build the pipedream loudspeakers for a living so i am a bit biased towards them. one could argue that the big wilson audio loudspeakers are better... but i would disagree :smirk:

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

InvisibleColonel Kurtz Ph.D
What What?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Shadow Moses
    #7844502 - 01/07/08 04:53 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

M-audio are good yeah, but don't drive them too hard. They are not made to last.

Automan, I'm thinking of getting some Genelecs, what'd you say to that?

--------------------
:whatwhat:

There's no better way to rock out than with your cock out!!

Offlinerobbyberto
Water Boy
Male User Gallery

#7844539 - 01/07/08 05:01 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

automan said:
for under $150, i like the Klipsch speakers. But if you have the a few hundred bucks more, no one beats M-Audiowhen it comes to computer speakers.

honestly, though, the best situation would be to have a great sound card running an optical spdif out to a true home loudspeaker set via a good amp. the sky is the limit in terms of how much you can spend in that arena, though. i really dig plinius pre and power amps driving nearfield acoustic's pipedream loudspeakers. but as a disclaimer, i use to build the pipedream loudspeakers for a living so i am a bit biased towards them. one could argue that the big wilson audio loudspeakers are better... but i would disagree :smirk:

Thanks for the input. My budget now is about $400.00 for a new sound card and speaker system so I doubt my setup will be too elaborate.

--------------------
“People say having kids is life changing, well that doesn’t necessarily mean a good thing, does it? I could take one of my legs off. That would change my life.” -Karl Pilkington

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Re: .FLAC [Re: Colonel Kurtz Ph.D]
    #7844606 - 01/07/08 05:15 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Colonel Kurtz Ph.D said:
M-audio are good yeah, but don't drive them too hard. They are not made to last.

Automan, I'm thinking of getting some Genelecs, what'd you say to that?

the 1032a models look nice. i dont like the plastic bubble shells on some of the other ones, but i would need to hear them to make an accurate judgment.

--------------------

Offlinerobbyberto
Water Boy
Male User Gallery

#7844699 - 01/07/08 05:32 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Do you have an opinion about this system?

Logitech Z-5500 505 Watts 5.1 Speaker
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121120

--------------------

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Re: .FLAC [Re: robbyberto]
    #7844779 - 01/07/08 05:49 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

you wont be able to tell the difference between flac and LAME v2 with those, but i'm sure they'll boom as surround sound.

--------------------

InvisiblePenguarky Tunguin
f n o r d
Male User Gallery

#7850926 - 01/08/08 10:17 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

automan said:

What kind of performance can I expect if I were to run a coax spdif out of my computer soundcard into the coax digital input on my 7.1 Pioneer receiver?  Is there enough power coming from the card to the receiver to power my home theater speakers, which are JBL and Sony?

In the near future, I plan on getting a 32" HDTV for my computer and  just running everything from my computer into my home theater for a kick ass multimedia center.

Good or bad?

--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

OfflineKonnrade
↑↑↓↓<--><-->BA
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LA Suburbs
Re: .FLAC [Re: Penguarky Tunguin]
    #7851441 - 01/08/08 11:46 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Hmmm, sitting on your couch and playing Crysis from your computer...

:thumbup:

Sounds great for movies too, I'm quite convinced that computer-based DVD player programs are loads better than a standalone DVD player that you'd use with your TV.

--------------------

I find your lack of faith disturbing

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]