Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
God anthropomorphized: Why is this so hard to beli
    #783801 - 07/29/02 11:36 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblebuttonion
Calmly Watching

Loc: Kansas
Re: God anthropomorphized: Why is this so hard to beli [Re: World Spirit]
    #784082 - 07/29/02 01:57 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Enter, you seem to be a very open-minded Christian and I think that is so cool! (This is definitley uncommon from my experience) I do have my reasons for not believing in the Great Male Parent (not meant as an insult). And it is not because I have had negative past experiences with Christians who have tried to shove their beliefs down my throat telling me I will burn in hell or else (as seems to be the motivation for so many others here).

First off, I totally think that there are aspects to "reality" that humans cannot possibly comprehend (shrooms pretty much drove this home). However, when it comes to the existence of God, I think that there is a more plausible explanation. When it comes down to it, I assess the probabilities or use the law of induction. I have assessed this through the knowledge I have gained, mainly in history and psychology.

Very generically, I think that it is more probable that God was ?invented? to explain what could not be explained at the time. And at a deeper level, this was necessary to fulfill the deep need for meaning that is present in all humans, answering such questions as why am I here? What should I do? How was the universe created? Anyone with the time to introspect wants these questions answered, just not all use an organized belief system such as religion. The answer from Christianity not only gave humanity answers to these big questions, but told them that they were indeed unique and special, and this came from a source that was indisputable. No worries about death, no wondering if you are doing the right thing.

And so from what I know, this explanation or something similar seems absolutely plausible and much more likely than the existence of an intentional, all knowing super being whose existence and intentions defy reason, yet they are somehow known to those who believe in the first place. I personally am beginning to think that the need for meaning arises in large part because of our identification with the self.

--------------------
Concepts which have been proved to be useful in ordering things easily acquire such an authority over us that we forget their human origins and accept them as invariable.- Albert Einstein

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
    #784104 - 07/29/02 02:10 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

God anthropomorphized = us.

--------------------

Invisiblebuttonion
Calmly Watching

Loc: Kansas
    #785499 - 07/30/02 04:44 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Allright Enter, I am starting to rethink my open-mindedness comment based on several posts I have read from you. My response to your question in this thread is not an attack, something you obviously getting frustrated with. So what do you think about my response to the belief in God. It's nice and quiet here, we can have a cool, calm debate...

--------------------
Concepts which have been proved to be useful in ordering things easily acquire such an authority over us that we forget their human origins and accept them as invariable.- Albert Einstein

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #802575 - 08/07/02 02:58 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Deleted by admin

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: God anthropomorphized: Why is this so hard to [Re: buttonion]
    #803274 - 08/07/02 08:32 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

This is not meant as a criticism, more of an observation. To set the stage, I am an atheist and have been for about forty years or so.

buttonion writes:

And at a deeper level, this was necessary to fulfill the deep need for meaning that is present in all humans, answering such questions as why am I here? What should I do? How was the universe created? Anyone with the time to introspect wants these questions answered, just not all use an organized belief system such as religion.

I personally only have a deep need to answer one of the three questions.

One at a time:

Why am I here?

Invalid question. The form of the question implies that some one or thing PLACED me here. There need not necessarily be a "why". I am here, but I didn't have to be. I am not here for any particular reason.

What should I do?

Before answering that, it is necessary to determine if I want to continue to be here at all. If the answer is no, then I simply lie down and stop acting. Soon enough I will cease to be here.

If the answer is yes, then the first thing I must do is figure out what actions must be taken to sustain my existence. The next thing to do is to perform those actions.

How was the universe created?

Another invalid question. The form of the question implies some one or some thing brought the universe into being. This is not necessarily the case. It may have always been here.

Anyone with the time to introspect wants these questions answered, just not all use an organized belief system such as religion.

I beg to differ. I have plenty of time to introspect, yet to me the only valid question is the second one, "what should I do?"

It would be interesting to know with certainty the answers to the first and the third, but it is not necessary for me to know either in order to live properly, so I no longer spend much timel pondering them. Admittedly, depending on the answer to "why am I here?", my actions resulting from my answer to "what should I do" may change, but until I am convinced that there is a reason for my being here, I will continue to proceed on the assumption that there is none.

pinky

--------------------

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

#803687 - 08/08/02 02:24 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Read "The History of God" by: Karen Armstrom. I'm sure she has spent enough time and study on the subject to make your effort look non-existent. Then lets discuss God. After being a nun and studing texts ( that would not normaly be available to the general public) on a daily basis for many years she left the church and concluded that he was invented.

--------------------
Be all and you'll be to end all

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology