Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Peat, Petri Dish, Rye Grain, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineonlygrowgiants
very strangestranger
Loc: nevermind
1st time grow 3ozs dry
    #783773 - 07/29/02 11:24 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I spawned 1 pint of rye into about 15 20 lbs of pastuerized horse shizznit and vwalla 2 and 1 half or 3 ozs not quite dry. this is the strain that came with a kit from homested so ?, some of the giants were over 80grms wet ist his normal or did i get lucky there were a lot of aborts. This is my first grow so I am just excited i guess.I didnt expect so much.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
Re: 1st time grow 3ozs dry *DELETED* [Re: onlygrowgiants]
    #783791 - 07/29/02 11:31 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Post deleted by phrozendata

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not
outside, not on other people" - Aldous Huxley

Offlineonlygrowgiants
very strangestranger
Loc: nevermind
Re: 1st time grow 3ozs dry [Re: phrozendata]
    #783806 - 07/29/02 11:40 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Tell me about it i felt like a idiot paying 90 bucks for 2 lbs of compost but it was my only source of spores in my area. DONT BUY KIT KITS = RIPOFF

Offlinefunwithgus
Loc: Philadelphia area
Re: 1st time grow 3ozs dry [Re: onlygrowgiants]
    #783887 - 07/29/02 12:21 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I bought that kit too after seeing the ad in high times. It was $70 then. The instructions are not very clear if it's your first time growing like it was for me. They probably do that intentionally to force you to buy the damn video. I did not put enough agar in the petri dishes and they dried out before they grew very much. I transferred the drying mycelium to other petris that dried out too. Then I said fuck it and transferred them to birdseed in test tubes. I guess I didn't add enough water to these either or PC'd them too long as these also dried up and stopped growing. The one good thing is that I had no contamination in anything although that may have been less from my good technique than from the lack of moisture in the substrates. It didn't help that I had no humidifier and lived in Tuscon, AZ where the RH is usually 10%-30%. I'm trying PF jars now. At least I still have two pounds of cow manure left and some peat if I want to attempt casing.

--------------------
Say, can I have some of your purple berries?
Yes, I've been eating them, for six or seven weeks now, haven't got sick once.

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
Re: 1st time grow 3ozs dry [Re: funwithgus]
    #784066 - 07/29/02 01:44 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

In reply to:

I bought that kit too after seeing the ad in high times. It was $70 then. The instructions are not very clear if it's your first time growing like it was for me. They probably do that intentionally to force you to buy the damn video. I did not put enough agar in the petri dishes and they dried out before they grew very much. I transferred the drying mycelium to other petris that dried out too. Then I said fuck it and transferred them to birdseed in test tubes. I guess I didn't add enough water to these either or PC'd them too long as these also dried up and stopped growing. The one good thing is that I had no contamination in anything although that may have been less from my good technique than from the lack of moisture in the substrates. It didn't help that I had no humidifier and lived in Tuscon, AZ where the RH is usually 10%-30%. I'm trying PF jars now. At least I still have two pounds of cow manure left and some peat if I want to attempt casing.

Unfortunately, your experiences illustrate why it's a good idea for people who are new to cultivation to use the PF/BRF approach or one of its many variants. Thanks for sharing this story.

Peace

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

OfflineZEPH

Loc: Up
Re: 1st time grow 3ozs dry [Re: mickey_rourke]
    #784521 - 07/29/02 05:27 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I myself fell pray to the stupid homstead kit...i got some myselym to grow on the agar but along with some black mold also i still inoculated the grains and it worked alittle bit but then fell to the dreeded green...it was sad, i was bummed, out 70 bucks to... then saying theres gotta be a better way i got a computer and found the pf site so i got a couple syringes and bamm!! my first mushrooms...like one flush probably like 7or 8 grams dried i was way happy...only 4 of the 10 cakes made anything but still i was very proud then after some searching i found the shroomery and things have gotten way better...all my cakes are frutting and pinning thanks to the dunk techs and am currently gonna try my first cassing once i get off my ass and go to my moms house and get some horse shit..for a starter mushroom kit mycylium transfers to grain then grain to compost is way to addvanced...pf teck is so easy comparred to all this...i occasionally get one jar to contamm but rarrley...as long as there pressure cooked that tech so rocks

InvisibleSoFarNorth
Hindu BuddistInitiate
Loc: Far away from here
Re: 1st time grow 3ozs dry [Re: onlygrowgiants]
    #785848 - 07/30/02 09:31 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I am having very similar results from the homestead ez-gro kit, and am quite pleased with it. I've read a number of other posts complaining about the price of the kit, but I don't feel at all negative about it for a couple of reasons:

1. It was my first time out, and w/ no prior experience, even some of the simpler tek's looked a little intimidating. Now that I've seen the full cycle, and essentially had my hand held throughout it, the tek descriptions look quite do-able to me.
2. A first time out success was nice, and has encouraged me to try again. If I'd tried a tek and failed, I might have said 'fuckitall' and given up.
3. The $100 cost, for the yield I got, was still much cheaper than buying the finished fungi elsewhere.
4. As for the price, and in Homestead's defense, these kits are a one-time purchase. I seriously doubt that they have any repeat business, since once you've seen how it's done, the method is fairly easy to reproduce (especially with the additional info available on this site and others). They gotta make their money somehow.
5. Lastly, and more importantly in my opinion, the kit has gotten me almost more interested in the growing of the fungi than in the end result (almost!). This may end up being a pretty cool hobby and learning experience, and that's always worth a few bucks to me.

So, no complaints from moi...

--------------------
"Those that would sacrifice essential liberties for some temporary safety deserve neither."
Ben Franklin

Offline_VisioN_
The Crying Orc
Loc: Valhalla
Re: 1st time grow 3ozs dry [Re: mickey_rourke]
    #833112 - 08/21/02 12:58 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

3 OZ! shit thats fuckin amazing

-Vision

--------------------
ShRoOmZ
Long live...METAL!!!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Peat, Petri Dish, Rye Grain, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation