Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleblacksabbathrulz
 User Gallery
Straw as a substrate
    #782710 - 07/28/02 06:22 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how this is done or provide me with a link. I searched all over but I couldn't find it. Thanks

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebluhoney
Yes Im a realgirl ,geeesh
Female User Gallery

Re: Straw as a substrate [Re: blacksabbathrulz]
    #782762 - 07/28/02 06:57 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Use Chopped wheat straw
Put a large quantity in a pillow case
*for added benefit pour in some zoodoo*
Put in large Pot , put a weight on top to hold it down, fill with water, and bring to almost a boil and keep it just under boiling for 1 hour.
Drain and let cool
Spread out your broken up cakes as if you were going to case them.
But instead of casing, add about an inch to 2 inches of straw on the top.
Cover with a piece of plastic with some(not alot) air holes punched in.
Put in a warm(86) degree , dark place for about a week.
When you see the top 80% covered, then take the plastic cover off and sprinkle your casing layer on.
Then fruit as normal. bluhoney
Put in dark warm place for

--------------------
Information listed here is for entertainment only and is neither real or proven

InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

Loc: ^^ His house ^^
Re: Straw as a substrate [Re: bluhoney]
    #782796 - 07/28/02 07:17 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

What should the ratio to manure:straw be? Is 50:50 manure:straw good? Would pasturization be the same?

Fd

--------------------

"I could walk up to the president and blow smoke in his stupid monkey face and all he could do is stand there grooving on it" - Homer Simpson

Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
Re: Straw as a substrate [Re: blacksabbathrulz]
    #782903 - 07/28/02 08:04 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

there are several accepted ways of pasturizing straw.

the one listed above,

running steam through a container full of chopped straw. a popular method is to put a hose on the top of a pressure cooker and run steam generated there into a container like a steel drum with a loose fitting lid.

one of Stamet's books mentions the above as well as use of bleach-water soaking, which i have used on several species with reasonable success, see below.

i assume you are cultivating cubensis. line your tray with about a half inch of vermiculite or similar inert. this is dampened with 9 parts water to 1 of H2O2. use cheese grater to cover 100 percent of that with a layer of crumbled cake or other spawn. add alternating layers of straw and spawn. keep the edges of your tray shallow, heap it up in the middle, keep it less than 8 inches deep. make sure to finish with a 100 percent cover of more spawn. cover the entire thing with a layer of more damp verm, this is both contam barrier and environmental condition control

straw substrate will work with a wide variety of species other than cubensis, pasturization teks may not work with so many. cubensis is very forgiving.

Edited by tchyted (07/28/02 08:08 PM)

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: Straw as a substrate [Re: Fd3000]
    #782993 - 07/28/02 09:05 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

A good straw to dung ratio that is easy to work with is 1/3rd dung to 2/3rds volume of straw. It is not all that heavy, cools faster & is easy to work with.

The Raccoon stopped using the pillow case method. Because hanging it out to drain is a PITA. Now the Coon just uses a hot plate outside, adds straw to the pot, then adds dung on top to hold down the straw, waters it down w/hose, lets it soak a few hours, then puts heat to it & lets it simmer at around 170F for 45 minutes to an hour or more.

Then dumps the full pot in a big drainer he devised from a a thick plastic tub that nurseries use for for containers for large shrubs or small tree's. The Coon drilled more holes in the bottom & lined the bottom w/course screen. It drains & cools much quicker. You can get a heavy duty used plastic 15 or 20 gallon shrub container at any large nursery, cheap.

The Raccoon sets down a double large heavy gauge trash can liner, sets double concrete blocks in the liner, sets the tub on top the blocks & pours the pasturized mix in, then ties the bag over the top of the drain tub, so no nasties or gnats can get at the content, while it drains & cools.

You will, learn quick, what drains out of the mix, is about as pleasant as tobacco juice spit & smells like what it is. In part -- shit. That soup gets caught in the bag. Instead of running all over, staining & stinking. You learn quick stinking dung soup dripping around outside will draw gnats from 50 miles away, like free food at Burger/King draws hungery peaple.

SixTango

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Loc: mycotopia.net
Re: Straw as a substrate [Re: SixTango]
    #783213 - 07/29/02 03:08 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

lol
hey, you should save that runoff,
it's packed with nutes and is great for subing for plain water when it comes time to make substrate.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: Straw as a substrate [Re: Hippie3]
    #783280 - 07/29/02 04:34 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Yo Hip,

You on the bong or something, LOL .......................

The Raccon is making substate. The liquid drained from it is to get the moisture OUT. NOT IN. Any time the Coon uses dung combo, the problem is getting the mix to a proper moisture level. Because it is almost always too wet & the Racccon doesnt enjoy wringing out the moisture out by hand.

The Raccoon is thinking about cobbling something togather that resembles a large grape press, just to make the process more efficiant.

The Coon recyles most of the liquid residue by throwing it on the compost pile. He does save a small amount, now & then & adds a bit to bird seed soak water .

SixTango

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

InvisibleTM
The Mind, The Many, The Music.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Under The Table And Dream...
    #783310 - 07/29/02 04:47 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

6T,

>He does save a small amount, now & then & adds a bit to bird seed soak water

I believe that's exactly what he meant.

--------------------
================================================

"Have some congratulatory drugs." - C. Montgomery Burns

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

TM™ :cool:

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: Straw as a substrate [Re: TM]
    #783396 - 07/29/02 05:31 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

LOL, TM,

The Raccoon, uses colonized rye or bird seed as spawn into a bulk substrate like compost or pasturized dung/straw combo. Not as a substrate. But, whatever works, whatever Hip meant. I follow along. The Raccoon is frugal & not much goes to waste.

Part of the diff is, the amount prepared. Normaly, the bulk of peaple are doing small batch's of pasturized dung/straw combo. Like a gallon or 2. Which is easy to manage.

Bump that up in scale considerably & you end up with a lot (gallons & gallons) of nutrient rich dung/straw soup.

&^%$#@ (explative) gnats are a PITA. With cattle, horses, ponds & open air compost piles around, there are gnats around. That volume of soup steaming seems to draw the critters like iron to a magnet. So, I just don't want it draining on the ground. Because, later you will see swarms of gnats checking it out, looking for breeding ground. The little bastards, anyway. Always trying to get into where they are not welcome.

SixTango

--------------------

Offlinebluhoney
Female User Gallery

#783623 - 07/29/02 07:56 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

My friend pours 2 cups worth of zoodoo into a 17qt pressurecooker sized pot filled with chopped wheatstraw. bluhoney

--------------------

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
    #783632 - 07/29/02 08:02 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

This is somewhat OT, but it does pertain to cultivation. Where do you get your Zoo Doo? The Zoo Doo website is down (Zoo Doo) and their 1-800 number has been disconnected.

If there is back stock still available, great, but does this mean Zoo Doo is practically gone forever?

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

Offlinebluhoney
Female User Gallery

Re: Straw as a substrate [Re: mickey_rourke]
    #784452 - 07/29/02 02:55 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Try here zoodoo . Heres another zoo that carries it another one . The original provider has disappeared, but other zoo's have caught onto this easy money maker. bluhoney

--------------------

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
    #784471 - 07/29/02 03:00 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Too bad the Woodland Park Zoo only sells the stuff twice a year by appointment only. I don't really feel like traveling to Seattle to buy the stuff. Also, I'm sure it's really too expensive to ship compost from NZ to Miami. Thanks though.

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

InvisibleTM
The Mind, The Many, The Music.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Under The Table And Dream...
    #784889 - 07/29/02 06:07 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Gnats. mosquitos, FRUIT FLIES... They're all a MPITA!!

Hey 6T... Do you have a keyboard macro set that types "the raccoon" for you?

LOL!!

--------------------
================================================

"Have some congratulatory drugs." - C. Montgomery Burns

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

TM™ :cool:

Edited by TripMeister (07/29/02 06:08 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate