Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePeace_Patrol
Rambling hippie
Loc: Electric Neverending
Psilocybe subaeruginosa indoors. * 5
    #782998 - 07/28/02 09:11 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Hey everyone
Well finally I have some pics to share of my efforts at cultivating Psilocybe Subaeruginosa (a potent wood loving mushroom very similar to Ps. Cyanescens and Ps. Azurescens, native here in New Zealand) so I decided I?d write up a bit of a grow log while I?m at it.

June 2001
Mycelium covered wood collected from an outdoor patch of shrooms. Placed in fish tank with leaves and put in shed, misted daily. (This was the early parts of the experiment - infact I carried out most of this grow project without any info whatsoever from the net etc.) No fruits developed. Tank left in shed and forgotten about.

September 2001
-Was bored so decided to check if any new mycelium had developed in the tank (despite it being dried up for a month or two). Everything was dry but there was still some mycelium lurking around in the bottom. Re-hydrated and left for another two weeks.
-Went back to original area where mycelum was collected (although season was over by this stage) and collected non-colonised wood. Broke this into chunks about the size of the last segment of a little finger. Placed chunks in a jam jar and crudely sterilised in a pot of boiling water for 10 mins (keeping in mind I knew nothing about mushroom cultivation other than common sense and a basic knowledge of fungi in general) Once the jar had cooled, I opened it up and tossed a couple of chunks of colonised wood into the jar (just by hand) and shook it up.
Tossed the jar in my closet and left it for a few weeks.

October 2001
Mycelium spreading. I saw a few spots of the green so I heated up my pocket knife and quarterised these areas. It never came back. Left jar to colonise in closet, checking occasionally.

December 01 / January 2002
Read some info on cultivation of Ps. Cyanescens (what I thought they were at the time) on the net.

April 2002
Realised shroom season was coming up soon so I decided I?d better do something about that jar of mycelium in the closet. Went to department store and bought a seed propagation dome. Painted the base and bottom 2 inches black. Went back to area and collected more wood.
Then I chopped up some corrugated cardboard (unsterilised) that had been sitting around in my closet into chunks of about 2in x 1in. Put a layer of this in the bottom of terranium and misted. Then I sprinkled a layer of 1:10 colonised:uncolonised woodchip about 1/2in thick and misted again. Then another layer of cardboard, then another of spawn, then a final layer of cardboard / uncolonised woodchip. Misted this and placed a chunk of log in there too just to make it look cool, and for the mycelium to colonise.

Days later, I noticed that the mycelium was really beginning to reach out for the cardboard and run through the holes in it (the mycelium with this strain of mushroom is VERY rhizomorphic, infact I saw no fluffy mycelium at all just rhizomorphic) Placed terranium in shed and misted 1-2 times daily.

May 2002
The top layer of substrate now had a healthy covering of mycelium, so I sprinkled a ?casing? layer of sterlilised woodchips on top of this and began putting the terranium in the fridge for 6-8 hours a day. After 2 weeks of refrigeration, many (at least 100) hyphal knots began to appear. I eased back on the misting as to not damage these, but they never made it to fruiting (about 10 pins developed but something went wrong) I gave the terranium a really good fanning / misting and put it back in the fridge. Within a week, more hyphal knots began to appear, this time I started misting / fanning 2-3 times daily. Slowly but surely, the pins began to develop and within 2 weeks of pins forming I harvested the first flush of 20 fully grown Psilocybe Subaeruginosa mushrooms.

June - July 2002
Continued misting daily / every second day. After the first flush, outdoor temperatures dropped considerably and the ?real? (outdoor) shroom season began, so I moved the terranium out to my shed so that it would be getting optimal temperatures hassle free. The terranium has continued to produce ever since, though the flushes are getting pretty small now (last flush I only harvested 3 shrooms) so I?m about to break it up and use it as spawn for more jars for next year.

Here are some pics. These are of the second flush, the lenght of time between the first pics and the last ones is about 1.5 weeks. They are slow growin but definatley worth it! In total I have harvested around 50 shrooms from this terranium, which I am more than happy with, as that is enough for 7-8 decent psychidellic / spiritual experiences!

If anyone is interested, I have prints of this species which I am willing to trade for decent sterile prints of any other species of shroom, particularly ?magic? ones but I?m also interested in getting some edibles.

The terranium....

Babies poppin up...about 5 days old, veils about to break

Day six...notice blue abort on top of the log

Day nine...coming along nicely...mycelium still growing too

Day twelve...and the babies are finally ripe!

As you can see these are definatley the wavy capped variety of Subaeruginosa...

Mmmm I?m getting hungry!

I would have more pics but I took these with my 35mm camera so its a bit iffy gettin em developed too often...specially if your pupils are the size of dinnerplates!

Edited by concretefeet (02/07/05 06:40 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRagHedFred
Stranger
Loc: Behind a sand dune, smoki...
Re: Ps. Subaeruginosa grow project! - PICS *completed* [Re: Peace_Patrol]
    #783019 - 07/28/02 09:32 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Nice work... I could really go for some of those next weekend!

--------------------
If you make something you are not in to, then it won't ring true. How do you expect others to get into it?? Once you start making tracks for others, you lose your own identity. --Peshay

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
    #783038 - 07/28/02 09:52 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Your log is truely amazing!!!

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

OfflineEvilJesus
Shaman
Re: Ps. Subaeruginosa grow project! - PICS *completed* [Re: Joshua]
    #783223 - 07/29/02 03:24 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Wow, that sounds like a lot of work. I would still love to have a print though, in case I ever stop being lazy.

btw, those are beautiful

--------------------
you're only as deep as the self that you dig

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #783357 - 07/29/02 05:11 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

A job well done.

mj

OfflineE_morel
Stranger
    #783411 - 07/29/02 05:38 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

All i can say is that that is the most impressive
growlog yet .. for me..
seeing as this is the local species.
Ive seen outdoor successes but this indoor one is quite special
well done

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#783542 - 07/29/02 07:13 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Wonderful log, I love seeing the cultivation of other species rather than cubensis!

OfflinePeace_Patrol
Rambling hippie
Re: Ps. Subaeruginosa grow project! - PICS *completed* [Re: angryshroom]
    #784933 - 07/29/02 06:27 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Wow guys - thanks for all the compliments! I would highly reccomend people to try cultivating some different species other than cubes...try to hunt your local varieties and make spawns of the variations, thats what I'm doing at the moment and I have prints of at least 3 variations of Subaeruginosa which I'm gonna grow on some agar and start up some beds around my garden! (As well as growing them in more of these terraniums - cause they're really fun!)

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #785411 - 07/29/02 11:56 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

wow! Fucking amazing work! I gave up on fruiting those indoors and have been using outdoor beds - im trying this straight away! Wicked work mate - full credit and it should be in advanced cultivation as your the first EVER to fruit these indoors...Nice sub strain too - nice and wavy!
more like these: than:

--------------------

OfflinePeace_Patrol
Rambling hippie
Re: Ps. Subaeruginosa grow project! - PICS *completed* [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #785419 - 07/30/02 12:08 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Bluemeanie - thanks for the compliment man. I thought you were pissed off at me for some reason....
Anyway, I'll be sending you a PM...I need a few tips on getting some agar cultures going etc. (I don't mean to nag you but you know how it is when you're starting something new, need to ask questions)...also I was thinking of writing up a bit of a grow tek for these, so I'd like some input from other people who have grown this strain (indoor or out)
Yeah I reckon they definatley look like the first ones, and I (as you) originally thought they were Cyanescens. Although the thing about these ones is that they did not have that sharp little nipple on top like a lot of subs I've found, guess its just a variation) As for your indoor fruiting, I don't think you should give up. Keep tryin and we can swap info...also could you post / PM me the names of other people you know of here who grow woodlovers? It'd be good to somehow have a thread or something dedicated to woodlovers troubleshooting / questions etc...hmm I don't know maybe I'm dreaming...and now I'm rambling...*stops self*

Edited by Peace_Patrol (09/02/02 08:40 PM)

InvisiblePynchon
Slow Learner

Loc: New Zealand
    #785470 - 07/30/02 01:48 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

(wipes tear from eye)

Those are absolutely picture perfect, congratulations.

Edited by Pynchon (07/30/02 04:16 AM)

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

#786483 - 07/30/02 01:24 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah - maybe they are ps.Tasmaniana which is described as similar to ps.cyanescens but in many ways VERY similar to ps.subaeruginosa.
So what were the temps? Did they fruit at normal fridge temps - 4Cor below or did you up the temp in the fridge to 8-12c??

--------------------

OfflinePeace_Patrol
Rambling hippie
    #786990 - 07/30/02 06:22 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah bluemeanie I was going to mention that to ya...I fiddled around with the thermostat temperature, it was about 3/4 of the way to the warmest setting, I don't know what that is in degrees but I'd estimate around 7-8. You will have to play round with it a little to get it right but it wasn't that difficult...especially if you had a fridge dedicated to just your shrooms (mine was a shroom / food fridge) then you don't have to worry bout your food going off...

Oh and another thing I should probably mention is early in the colonisation stages (like 1-2 weeks after putting everything in the terranium) I noticed some cobweb mold forming....but have no fear! At first I tried just picking out the bits of wood with it on, but it came back, at this stage I was thinking fuck, I have screwed this up, SOLUTION: Give it a 'burst' in the freezer for 2-3 hours. This killed all the cobweb within two days, but leaving the mycelium healthy and strong.

My advice if you're gonna try this is to just experiment a little and use your common sense. I think that I was pretty luck to pull this off first try, but that just goes to show it can be done!

Edited by Peace_Patrol (09/02/02 08:47 PM)

Offlineruskifile
droog

Loc: nowhere
    #812019 - 08/12/02 02:37 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

sorry to come in on this so late, but I just had to say I'm sorta amazed....

.....beautiful!

--------------------
(zhukov in a previous life....)

2SER FM underground radio

Offlinetps
ganja ghanstah
 User Gallery

Re: Ps. Subaeruginosa grow project! - PICS *completed* [Re: ruskifile]
    #813618 - 08/12/02 06:23 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

wow, verrrryyyy nice.

--------------------

Offlineatoning_unifex
bovine entity

#818967 - 08/15/02 10:13 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

wicked pics peace....

hopefully my outdoor bed (2m* 2m) will fruit next year....

ive got 2 jars of chips colonising now... theyre about 3 months old... ....

cant wait....

(by the way i harvested heaps of these little blighters this season... any ideas about dose for these??)

--------------------
" time is a drug.... too much will kill you"

......Ballad of Atoning Unifex.....

At the age of 30 something
he realised
he'd never ride
through london
in a black cab
with weird drugs
in his veins......

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Re: Ps. Subaeruginosa grow project! - PICS *completed* [Re: atoning_unifex]
    #822335 - 08/16/02 09:29 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

What im doing here is colonising brf and woodchip mixes with eight different varieties of australian psilocybes = all variants of cleland's Subearuginosa - then im using these small jars to spawn a mixture of wood chips and then setting these in cat litter trays in my garden for next season - then ill be able to compare each type properly.
I have Subaeruginosa (Australiana and wavy cap), subs from Adelaide, australiana from southern NSW, the sub variant from Sydney and three varieties found in the Blue Mountains - once these are fruiting, i hope to have each examined and identified to finally find out whether Australiana, Eucalypta and Tasmaniana are three seperate entities or just one Subaeruginosa.
I will also attempt to fruit subs of cow manure - which has been reported in the past as a fruiting substrate (i doubt this but why not try??)

--------------------

OfflinePeace_Patrol
Rambling hippie
    #831295 - 08/20/02 07:08 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Bluemeanie -
That sounds good. I have prints of about 5 different variants from around my area, so I'm going to be doing the same thing as you described above over the coming months in time for fruiting come winter!
What mix of BRF / woodchip are you using? And is it working well?

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

#837204 - 08/22/02 11:42 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

to be honest i grabbed a handful of barkchips, fern mulch and dog hair (accidentally ofcourse!)- soaked it overnight then mixed it with 50% verm 40%mulch and 10%brf - colonised in a month completely and very thickly...

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag