Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepineal
Stranger
so there're these things growin on my lawn...
    #779590 - 07/27/02 04:56 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

...and since they're growing on my lawn, i'm rather curious as to what they are. there are two kinds
here are the pics: http://www.geocities.com/leatherface1138/mush.html
specs: like i said, growing out of the lawn, NE FL. stems are pretty long...a few inches (3-4?) and very very thin. The caps maybe about the size of a dime, to the size of a quarter.
the second kind, growing in a difference patch of grass:
specs: same as above, only drastic size difference. This is one of the smaller caps, maybe the size of one's palm, but some of the bigger ones get to be as 4 times as big. (you'd swear someone threw a frisbee in my yard). stems are pretty thick, and hearty. gotta really tug on em to break em.
thanks, any other info needed?

Edited by pineal (07/27/02 05:09 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: so there're these things growin on my lawn... [Re: pineal]
    #779598 - 07/27/02 05:06 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Check your links. I get a default geocities error page when I try to go to any of them. Also (we'll assume they're mushrooms), get spore prints and let us know what color they are.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
    #779865 - 07/27/02 08:34 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Hmm, that first mushroom looks to me like it is Conocybe lactea, a common, non-edible lawn mushroom.

The second one was a lot harder... The closest I can come is Agaricus meleagris, or the Grayscale; but I could be completely wrong! If I am correct, that mushroom is non-edible as well.

Be sure to wait for other ID'ers, though, as I am quite new at this!

--------------------
Namaste.

Anonymous

#780322 - 07/27/02 12:56 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #780384 - 07/27/02 01:35 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

The first one resembles Conocybe lactea a very common lawn mushroom. Unfortunately, Conocybes cannot be identified to species accurately without a microscope, so that is only a guess. Conocybe is a dangerous genus, with some very poisonous species and none considered edible.

The second one is a Lepiota of some sort. (RebelSteve - note the appearance of the ring on the stem (movable), the free white gills, and the scaly cap; all are typical of Lepiota) To type to species we need a spore print (it should be either white or greenish-gray) and the bruising reaction of the mushroom. To bruise it, cut it in half vertically (thru the stem and cap), then use your knife blade and scrape the flesh inside the cut vigorously. Watch the color changes for a minute or two and let us know. The dangerous Lepiotas have a greenish-gray spore print (Chlorophyllum molybdites, formerly Lepiota morgana) or bruise brown (Lepiota brunnea), or are small (less than 3 inches across for mature specimens). If you've got a white spore print and it doesn't bruise brown, then you've got an eater! The edible Lepiota species are some of the best edible wild mushrooms available. Note, by the way, that the small Lepiota species include mushrooms responsible for fatalities within the last few years, so make sure that your Lepiotas are more than 3 inches across when mature.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Anonymous

Re: so there're these things growin on my lawn... [Re: ToxicMan]
    #780615 - 07/27/02 03:54 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: so there're these things growin on my lawn... [Re: ]
    #780696 - 07/27/02 04:35 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Lepiota rachodes often bruises reddish, and is considered a good edible. I would guess that some of the "allergic" or "individual" reactions to various Lepiotas have probably been due to Chlorophyllum molybdites. Some of them are also going to be true allergic or individual reactions.

The list of characters I use for determining edible Lepiotas is from Edible Wild Mushrooms of North America by David W. Fischer and Alan E. Bessette. Mr. Fischer is an excellent amateur mycologist who has been President of the Central New York Mycological Society, and he has coauthored several books. Dr. Bessette is a PhD professional mycologist who teaches at Utica College of Syracuse University. This particular book is the best reference I have seen for beginning pot-hunters, primarily because it lists a fairly easy set of definitive characters to observe for the ID of each species or group of species. It also has outstanding photos of all the species. For the Lepiotas in the book the list is:

1. Open caps more than 3 inches wide, with white flesh showing between tan or pinkish to reddish brown fairly concentric scales.
2. Cap flesh thick, white; not staining immediately brown when cut.
3. Gills free from stalk, very closely spaced, white to dingy white or tinted reddish.
4. Thick, white, membranous partial veil covering gills at first, then leaving a movable, bandlike ring on upper stalk.
5. Stalk smooth, much thicker at middle or base; white at top, tan to reddish brown below, bruising yellow, orange, or reddish brown; or stalk slender, showing white between tiny brownish scales; base bulbous.
6. Thickest part of stalk (or its base) at least one inch thick.
7. No volva present.
8. Spore print white, not greenish.

Some of those are clearly meant to get the IDer to verify that they have a Lepiota, and the rest are designed to eliminate the toxic species within the genus (or mushrooms which are similar enough to confuse somebody).

BTW, this book is available from the Shroomery (3rd page) for $24.50.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineSporz
journeyman
    #781514 - 07/28/02 06:21 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

hey dude,

check out my latest post "basket full of pan casters".
that could possibly be the smaller shrooms you are finding.

good luck,
keep in touch,
GGreatOne234Sporz.

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: so there're these things growin on my lawn... [Re: ToxicMan]
    #783006 - 07/28/02 09:19 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Good post, Toxic!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures