Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFraggin
Multi-Faceted
 User Gallery

Wax Paper Casing Layer
    #7826723 - 01/03/08 09:16 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I wanted to put this out there if anyone would like to experiment with it. Or if it has been done before, then I apologize for not searching the archives.

While using my drill press this weekend, I thought of an idea.
1. Take a roll of wax paper and drill tiny holes spaced out the same amount on the x and y axis. it should come out to 4 holes per square inch.
2. When spawning to bulk, cover the substrate with this wax paper with the holes.

Once the mycelium nears full colonization and the mycelium nears complete colonization beneath the wax paper, the holes will provide a location for the mycelium to reach Fresh air and pinning would take place consistently through the holes. It seems that harvesting shrooms from this setup would be a lot cleaner as well.

The only problem I forsee is the amount of light that would get through the wax paper and possibly cause pinning beneath the paper.

In that Case, I suppose you could use foil.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Wax Paper Casing Layer [Re: Fraggin] * 1
    #7826738 - 01/03/08 09:21 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Tried it. Molds grow under the wax paper. The wax paper also gets soggy after a day. That's why I've always recommended replacing wax paper every two days ever since I first started recommending the procedure. Wax paper will serve as a way to get a good micro-climate right against the casing layer to stimulate primordia formation, but don't try to make the mycelium only grow up through holes. If you want that, use plastic.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineFraggin
Multi-Faceted
 User Gallery

Re: Wax Paper Casing Layer [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7826784 - 01/03/08 09:36 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Makes sense. Have you tried to use plastic in this manner for cubensis? I have reviewed some of your grows with straw using this method.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Wax Paper Casing Layer [Re: Fraggin]
    #7826807 - 01/03/08 09:42 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Cubensis won't pin only where holes are. It will pin under the plastic if you don't remove it. This method works with certain strains of oyster and reishi, but no other species that I'm aware of will pin and fruit only through the holes.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale