Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisibleim_on_a_boat
Stranger

Absinthe Legal Now?
    #7826208 - 01/03/08 01:27 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Ok I am not making this up.

On my local news at 10 they said that Absinthe is now legal and it is available 'at local liquor stores' and encouraged viewers to go buy some.

I was watchin this with my mom and I was cracking up. One of the news reporters even drank some of it. They showed them pouring it over a sugar cube and everything.

They went on to explain that, whatever the active psychedelic in the wormwood was negligible and it is legal for sale now.

I dont know if this is a recent thing or what and I search a little bit, but has anyone else heard of this and what do you make of it?

How crazy that shit is to see on the news.

http://www.kcentv.com/

that's my news channel!

http://drinklucid.com/

this is the shit they were showing people drinking!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesui
I love you.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cali, Contra Costa Co. Flag
Re: Absinthe Legal Now? [Re: im_on_a_boat]
    #7826215 - 01/03/08 01:30 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

yup, once they realized that it was just basically alcohol they legalized it. :banghead:

--------------------

"There is never a wrong note, bend it."
Jimi Hendrix

Offlineg00ru
lit pants tit licker
Male User Gallery

Loc: georgia, us
    #7826216 - 01/03/08 01:30 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

There is like some crappy shit legal. Not real 'van gogh' absinthe at all.

--------------------
check out my music!
drowse in prison and your waking will be but loss

OfflineBent Bastard
space monkey
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of Oz Flag
    #7826218 - 01/03/08 01:32 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah it's legal here in australia, has been all along I think. Trust me there's nothing significantly active other than the alcohol, I don't knwo what the big deal is! (other than being 70% ~~)

--------------------
*Some names have been changed to protect the innocent; others have been changed to implicate other innocents.

Invisibleim_on_a_boat
Stranger

Re: Absinthe Legal Now? [Re: g00ru]
    #7826219 - 01/03/08 01:32 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

well they even mentioned it in the news cast that it's the same stuff that van gogh had and he musta be on some other shit (they euphemised it a little more).

that lucid shit is like 60 dollars a bottle.

i'm just suprised as hell that this made my local evening news more than anything..

Invisiblesui
I love you.
Male User Gallery

#7826225 - 01/03/08 01:33 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thujone
Thujone Pharmacology

For many years thujone was thought to act on the cannabinoid receptors similar to THC based on studies that only looked at the molecules' shapes.[1] This is known to be false today and studies show thujone does not activate these receptors[2]. Thujone is a GABAA receptor antagonist. By inhibiting GABA receptor activation neurons may fire more easily which can cause muscle spasms and convulsions.[3]

A toxicology study of alpha-thujone, the more active of the two isomers, in mice found the median lethal dose, or LD50, is around 45 mg/kg, with 0% mortality rate at 30 mg/kg and 100% at 60 mg/kg. Those exposed to the higher dose had convulsions that led to death in 1 minute. From 30 to 45 mg/kg the mice would experience muscle spasms in the legs which progressed to general convulsions until death or recovery. Pretreatment of diazepam, phenobarbital or 1 g/kg of ethanol protected against a lethal 100 mg/kg dose. These findings are in line with other GABA antagonists. This study also found alpha-thujone was quickly metabolized in the mouse's liver.[3]

The LD50 dose in humans is not known; however a study in the "Journal of Studies of alcohol" tested attention performance with low, and high doses of thujone in alcohol. The researchers administered 0.28 mg/kg thujone in alcohol, 0.028 mg/kg in alcohol and just alcohol to their subjects. The high dose had a short term negative effect on attention performance. The lower dose showed no noticeable effect.[4]

There is no evidence any size dose will cause hallucinations, however thujone is reported to produce some psychoactive effects when dried wormwood, or extracts of the wormwood plant are smoked, but these effects are not hallucinogenic in nature and are quite different from the effects of drinking absinthe.[1][2] Thujone is reported to be toxic to both brain and liver cells and could cause convulsions if used in too high a dose. Other thujone-containing plants such as the tree Arbor vitae (Thuja occidentalis) are used in herbal medicine, mainly for their immune-system stimulating effects, however side effects from the essential oil of this plant include anxiety and sleeplessness, confirming the central nervous system effects of thujone.[5]

--------------------

Jimi Hendrix

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Absinthe Legal Now? [Re: sui]
    #7826380 - 01/03/08 03:11 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

what ive heard and read on here, this "legal" stuff is legal because they took the good stuff out of it.  something along those lines.

and alot more than just wormwood went into the good drink back in the day, including heavy metals :tongue2:

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

OfflineOracle Of Delphi
I, Phantom
Female

Loc: State of Disrepair
Re: Absinthe Legal Now? [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #7826617 - 01/03/08 08:10 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

i feel like i *read somewhere the good stuff made your hair fall out (i guess if it had heavy metals in it.) and even made you stupid , supposedly eats holes in your brain and made you dull/crazy depending on where the holes were in the brain. even if some of that is true, not interested.
OoD

*please note : I "read stuff" all the time that does not exist.

--------------------

http://dictionary.reference.com/

InvisibleUnholyChild666
I'M GOD
Male
Loc: Flag
    #7826623 - 01/03/08 08:17 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

drkrobotnik said:
well they even mentioned it in the news cast that it's the same stuff that van gogh had and he musta be on some other shit (they euphemised it a little more).

that lucid shit is like 60 dollars a bottle.

i'm just suprised as hell that this made my local evening news more than anything..

I was seeing shit going for no less than $100 on one website that offered the traditional Absinthe.

--------------------

"I am the Highest Power the leader of the pack"

Actiavte My Dream Sequence Machine

GOD of the hologram earth

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#7827039 - 01/03/08 11:04 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Most of the stuff sold as absinthe is utter crap, and worse still most of it isn't even a real absinthe at all. It's like buying a bar of chocolate and finding gum inside - something completely different and often gross, presented under the false flag of being an Absinthe.

Here is a post I made some time ago that doesn't just show the best ten houses and 20 absinthes to buy, but also describes how to properly prepare your glass of absinthe in words and an attached video:

Which Absinthes to buy and how to prepare it

Absinthe is expensive, usually around $1-$5 per glass. It's something to drink a glass a day of, or less. If you want to get hammered, other booze is far more suitable for that - less pricy, less rich flavor and less of a hangover if taken to excess.

As to absinthes effects: you get a bit more drunk with a bit clearer head compared to regular booze. That is all. If you want to hallucinate, take LSD.
Absinthe is all about flavor, ritual and moderation.

Want to distill your own quality Absinthe in your kitchen? Yes you can :yesnod:

Traditional Absinthe -- Absinthe d'Pontarlier
Spanish Absenta -- Absenta Verde

and how to assemble a Wok Still in your kitchen from common pots and pans - with no modification required:

The Wok Still - distilling without having to build or buy a still unit

producing gallons of alcohol in your home in mere days at a price of approx $1 per liter of vodka strength.

Fermenting your own Alcohol with Turbo Yeast

DutchMushroom's pictorial on how to start with sugar and a pressurecooker and ending up with homemade 95%/190 proof everclear:

DutchMushroom's distillation pictorial

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Edited by Asante (01/03/08 12:31 PM)

Invisibleim_on_a_boat
Stranger

Re: Absinthe Legal Now? [Re: Asante]
    #7827190 - 01/03/08 12:12 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

this guy knows what he's talking about.

hells yeah.  thank you for that informational post.

:congrats:

Invisiblesui
I love you.
Male User Gallery

#7827224 - 01/03/08 12:22 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

makaveli8x8 said:
what ive heard and read on here, this "legal" stuff is legal because they took the good stuff out of it.  something along those lines.

and alot more than just wormwood went into the good drink back in the day, including heavy metals :tongue2:

Quote:

suimush said:
Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thujone
Thujone Pharmacology

For many years thujone was thought to act on the cannabinoid receptors similar to THC based on studies that only looked at the molecules' shapes.[1] This is known to be false today and studies show thujone does not activate these receptors[2]. Thujone is a GABAA receptor antagonist. By inhibiting GABA receptor activation neurons may fire more easily which can cause muscle spasms and convulsions.[3]

A toxicology study of alpha-thujone, the more active of the two isomers, in mice found the median lethal dose, or LD50, is around 45 mg/kg, with 0% mortality rate at 30 mg/kg and 100% at 60 mg/kg. Those exposed to the higher dose had convulsions that led to death in 1 minute. From 30 to 45 mg/kg the mice would experience muscle spasms in the legs which progressed to general convulsions until death or recovery. Pretreatment of diazepam, phenobarbital or 1 g/kg of ethanol protected against a lethal 100 mg/kg dose. These findings are in line with other GABA antagonists. This study also found alpha-thujone was quickly metabolized in the mouse's liver.[3]

The LD50 dose in humans is not known; however a study in the "Journal of Studies of alcohol" tested attention performance with low, and high doses of thujone in alcohol. The researchers administered 0.28 mg/kg thujone in alcohol, 0.028 mg/kg in alcohol and just alcohol to their subjects. The high dose had a short term negative effect on attention performance. The lower dose showed no noticeable effect.[4]

There is no evidence any size dose will cause hallucinations, however thujone is reported to produce some psychoactive effects when dried wormwood, or extracts of the wormwood plant are smoked, but these effects are not hallucinogenic in nature and are quite different from the effects of drinking absinthe.[1][2] Thujone is reported to be toxic to both brain and liver cells and could cause convulsions if used in too high a dose. Other thujone-containing plants such as the tree Arbor vitae (Thuja occidentalis) are used in herbal medicine, mainly for their immune-system stimulating effects, however side effects from the essential oil of this plant include anxiety and sleeplessness, confirming the central nervous system effects of thujone.[5]

--------------------

Jimi Hendrix

InvisibleSkunk420
 User Gallery

Loc: inside
    #7827235 - 01/03/08 12:24 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Where is this legal? in Holland?

Invisiblesui
I love you.
Male User Gallery

Re: Absinthe Legal Now? [Re: Skunk420]
    #7827239 - 01/03/08 12:24 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

its now legal in the USA.

--------------------

Jimi Hendrix

InvisibleSkunk420
 User Gallery

#7827268 - 01/03/08 12:32 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

ill look for it at the local liquor store, the next time i go, it will be tomorrow in fact, i have the day off on saturday too, I had to work at 6 am on new years day..so I am getting more wasted now..whoot!

Invisibleim_on_a_boat
Stranger

#7827284 - 01/03/08 12:35 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

not to plug or advertise for a brand but i've read that the only legal one they have is called 'lucid' and it's like $60 for a liter bottle. which, compared to the other absinthe, seems pretty cheap.

InvisibleSkunk420
 User Gallery

#7827306 - 01/03/08 12:41 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

i still dont believe it

OfflineGr8fulJ420
strange but nota stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: 0 moco
    #7827340 - 01/03/08 12:50 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I've seen a few bottles labed as "absinthe" containing a greenish liquid in my local liquor store. I have no interest in purchasing any, as its probably more of a s gimmick using the name & legend of absinthe to sell a liquor that just *barely* qualifies to be called absinthe on account of its ingredients.

InvisibleSkunk420
 User Gallery

Re: Absinthe Legal Now? [Re: Gr8fulJ420]
    #7827355 - 01/03/08 12:54 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

ill never buy it because, i bet i wouldnt notice anything exept for the alcohol drunk.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: Absinthe Legal Now? [Re: Gr8fulJ420]
    #7827369 - 01/03/08 12:58 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

the only time I ever tried absinthe was when my buddy got 7 different Czech brands and we dove into the two most expensive ones.
You get drunk, but it is its own drunk. Just like tequila, whiskey and vodka have their own drunks.
Hallucinations... no.

InvisibleSkunk420
 User Gallery

Re: Absinthe Legal Now? [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #7827374 - 01/03/08 01:00 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Well tequila has Agave..it is known to have trippy effects too..

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #7827431 - 01/03/08 01:16 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I think the term "trippy" was used to denote things like absinthe and mezcal by prudes that never seriously tripped and got wasted off these things.

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Absinthe Legal Now? [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #7827466 - 01/03/08 01:24 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

If you drink yourself a delirium, it's trippy.

That's what the myth comes from, the wine lobby saw Absinthe take over the market so they conducted a "scientific" study that looked solely at the most deranged alcoholics, gassed animals with more wormwood oil than is present in a crate of Absinthe and then applied those findings to your average Joe who drank one glass of absinthe per day as an aperitiv.

Murder! Insanity! Death! :rolleyes:

It's not a hallucinogen. Like you say Yawn, it's got it's own specific kind of drunkennness.

What's remarkable about Absinthe is it's flavor, the way in which it is prepared, it's colorful history and its actual beneficial effects on digesting a meal.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Absinthe Legal Now? [Re: Oracle Of Delphi]
    #7828401 - 01/03/08 05:12 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Oracle Of Delphi said:
i feel like i *read somewhere the good stuff made your hair fall out (i guess if it had heavy metals in it.) and even made you stupid , supposedly eats holes in your brain and made you dull/crazy depending on where the holes were in the brain. even if some of that is true, not interested.
OoD

*please note : I "read stuff" all the time that does not exist.

i think it was actually wiccan's thread that i read, i vagely remember that video he is talking about because i was making fun of it.

so yah they took the good stuff out(thujone) or theirs hardly any in it.

and yes absinthe sopposedly made lots of people sick in the old days(heavy metals)  but this is how true absinthe was made :smilingpuppy:

seriously people like you really piss me off.

--------------------

Invisiblesui
I love you.
Male User Gallery

#7828518 - 01/03/08 05:51 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

No they figured out thujone isnt the good stuff and is potentially dangerous and that it was just alcohol that had psychoactive effects.

They thought it was the reason for the mythic "trippy" effects because they thought that it worked off of cannabinoid recepters, but it doesnt.

once they realized it was just alcohol they wanted to make money off it.

--------------------

Jimi Hendrix

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#7828573 - 01/03/08 06:05 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

yah but thats not why he wrote what he did.

second, ive heard mixed reports about the effects of absinthe, so if/when i make some ill know from personal experience. the effects are in the eyes of the beholder, and how all them tests were done im sure could be skeptical.

im sure the crap bottle in the usa only has like 10 mg of wormwood in it and then dyed with green...they leave out all the other "good stuff" as well. some of which are classified as psychoactive if memory serves me right (##$#%)

whats interesting is how the article says they seen thujone is dangerous? and now they make it legal lol ok

--------------------

OfflineIron_Hymen
Shake Hands withBeef
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mass-of-two-shits
    #7828583 - 01/03/08 06:09 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

my friend would blow his money off absinthe online. I'd have to try this though

--------------------

#1 reason organized religion should be done away with. It's a message, and one that is open to speculation.
"Pray your own prayers and talk to God on your own.He doesn't want a fucking parrot, and he doesn't want a sheep"

GnuBobo:Iron. Hymen. Vitamin.
Be Iron, like Hymen, in Vitamin.
Iron. Hymen. Vitamin.

OfflineOracle Of Delphi
I, Phantom
Female

Loc: State of Disrepair
    #7830883 - 01/04/08 07:11 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

makaveli8x8 said:

well then, my work is done here.:stoner:
OoD

--------------------

http://dictionary.reference.com/

OfflineCannabischarlie
Resident badass
 User Gallery

#7836869 - 01/05/08 06:50 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I have tried one of the new legal absinthes that they sell at the liquor store, but they only have the one.

Offlinedanlennon3
LivingIsEasyWithEyesClosed.....
Male User Gallery

Loc: usa Flag
Re: Absinthe Legal Now? [Re: Cannabischarlie]
    #7836886 - 01/05/08 06:54 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

whether its legal or not, you still dont trip off it! :tongue: the bottles they sell at the store will probably have the lowest thujone content available too :mad2:

--------------------
"Psychedelics should be used not to escape reality, but to embrace it"

OfflineCannabischarlie
Resident badass
 User Gallery

Re: Absinthe Legal Now? [Re: danlennon3]
    #7836896 - 01/05/08 06:58 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I liked it. I also made an absinthe martine (still with a sugar cube mixed in)

Offlinedanlennon3
LivingIsEasyWithEyesClosed.....
Male User Gallery

Loc: usa Flag
Re: Absinthe Legal Now? [Re: Cannabischarlie]
    #7836912 - 01/05/08 07:03 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

It might taste ok, and its fun to drink it the traditional way, but it doesnt do much more than get you drunk. Has anyone seen green faries? anyone? speak up!

--------------------
"Psychedelics should be used not to escape reality, but to embrace it"

InvisibleLayYouIn
Taurus
Male User Gallery

Loc: Organ
    #7836925 - 01/05/08 07:06 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Oracle Of Delphi said:
Quote:

makaveli8x8 said:

well then, my work is done here.:stoner:
OoD

:congrats::thumbup:

it sounds like the new hype.  isn't absinthe what all the goths drink?  not label or anything...

and for $60 a bottle, cant you make your own with one of the links Wiccan_Seeker posted?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom