Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Dessicant

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinegetmyshroomon
Trip Sydicate

Loc: 4 hours away from the mid...
baked epsom salt
    #782536 - 07/28/02 05:55 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

what should the baked epsom salt looks like when its done cause ive been baking the the stuff for more than 40 min on 400 (i read that somewhere) and just a couple of crystaly things have popped up but i put in alot
answer need as soon as possible thanks

--------------------
-Relax and take notes while i tokes on the marijuana smoke-Biggie Smalls

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinegetmyshroomon
Trip Sydicate

Loc: 4 hours away from the mid...
Re: baked epsom salt [Re: getmyshroomon]
    #782562 - 07/28/02 06:43 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

-update- i baked them for an hour and half and only the sides have crystalized but i think it'll be enough for now...if the whole thing isnt done will it mess it up or what? thanks

--------------------
-Relax and take notes while i tokes on the marijuana smoke-Biggie Smalls

Invisiblepsyconaut
NASA trainedpsychonaut
Loc: The Great White North
    #782568 - 07/28/02 06:48 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

You need sustained temops >250c to produce anhydrous MgSO4.

Problem is, MgSO4 can take the form of both crystals and a powder. Back-in-the-day I seem to remember that when I created the dried form, I ended up with a caked powder.

Be sure to transfer it to a well sealed container IMMEDIATELY! Don't wait for it to cool down too much, otherwise it'll quickly return towards the heptahydrate form!

Incidentally, if you want to know if you've removed most of the water.....weigh the stuff when you start and if it's 25% lighter when you're done, even removed every mol of water.

-psyco

--------------------
It may look like a button mushroom right now, but wait until you see how it grows!

InvisibleDarkmoon
Thinker

#782592 - 07/28/02 07:12 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I just found this out the other day myself, here is a thread that demonstrates how epsom or rock salt works!! I think Im going to give it a try since its cheap and reusable:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum2&Number=401952&page=&view=&sb=&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

I hope that might help a little! good luck

InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

Loc: ^^ His house ^^
Re: baked epsom salt [Re: Darkmoon]
    #782654 - 07/28/02 07:52 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

psyconaut this question is sort of towards you or any other person who knows some chemical stuff about epsom salt.

I baked the epsom salt for 65 mins at 400 F and it came out as one big chunk, i had to smash it back into powder, is it still good to be used?

Also it seems to react with water, if i take one of the chunks and throw it in an equil amount of water the water will start to get HOT! Is this normal? Am i 1 step away from blowing my house to pieces?

Thanks!
Fd

--------------------

"I could walk up to the president and blow smoke in his stupid monkey face and all he could do is stand there grooving on it" - Homer Simpson

Invisiblepsyconaut
NASA trainedpsychonaut
Loc: The Great White North
Re: baked epsom salt [Re: Fd3000]
    #782684 - 07/28/02 08:10 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Fd3000....

Yes, MgSO4 often cakes when it's dehydrated. This is normal and does not mean it's "no good". Also be aware that while MgSO4 naturally likes to be crystaline, it's often sold in a powdered form.

Many salts exhibit exothermic properities when added to water. When you add MgSO4 to water, you've got six mols of water rushing to find homes. The fact that MgSO4 wants to be MGSO4.(7)H2O is one of the reason why it makes a great desicant (each molecule of MgSO4 will happily attach to seven water molecules; it's a heptahydrate).

For those who don't know, MgSO4 is sold as "epsom salts" at most pharmacies. It might have an anti-caking agent added, but this won't effect its viability as a desicant. At my local pharmacy it's only like a couple of dollars for a 500g container.

Hope that's useful. Maybe Anno can add some of this info to the FAQ?

-psyco

--------------------
It may look like a button mushroom right now, but wait until you see how it grows!

Edited by psyconaut (07/28/02 08:16 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Dessicant

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation