Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineSyle
Kenai Sigh
 User Gallery

Loc: WA
Sampling/Keyboards in a Live setting
    #7819600 - 01/01/08 10:51 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Hey all, I am a pretty big amateur when it comes to the ins-and-outs of sampling/keyboard effects in a live situation. I am in a heavy melodic rock band (think Tool mixed with Metallica mixed with Deftones, for modern tastes), and what I want to do is add sampling/sound effects/keyboards to the live setting, BUT, I am not sure the easiest way to go about it. I have just a few basic questions:

1) Can I record/edit/create things on a computer in my DAW and then play those sounds through a keyboard or pad in real-time in a live show?

2) If so, is there some sort of unit that would work great for this? (I am imagining something that has both pads and keyboard that can be customized to a great degree...? Like I said, i don't know much about it, hence why I am asking these dumb questions).

3) I already own a korg triton rack (though it has some older/probably outdated memory cards in it), is that very user friendly for what I am wanting to do? After messing around with it for a while, it's tough to zip back and forth between settings and presets; I am looking for something that either has pedal control or big buttons to click back and forth between presets.

Anyways, I know these questions are really dumb, but I am hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. Again, I need to know if I can transfer created sounds from my computer to a unit of some sort, and then play those sounds in real time using a pad or keyboard.

Thanks so much

--------------------
https://kenaisigh.bandcamp.com/ <- Just completed the 2021 RPM challenge for February - An EP in one month (5 songs or 20 minutes). Check it out!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 45º parallel Flag
Re: Sampling/Keyboards in a Live setting [Re: Syle]
    #7820235 - 01/01/08 02:22 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Ideally you'll need a simple recording DAW, then what you'll want to do is get Recycle, and Reason. For maximum digital sampling and editing, and a simple midi keyboard. :boobs:

--------------------

I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

OfflineSyle
Kenai Sigh
 User Gallery

Re: Sampling/Keyboards in a Live setting [Re: snoot]
    #7820295 - 01/01/08 02:44 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

snoot said:
Ideally you'll need a simple recording DAW, then what you'll want to do is get Recycle, and Reason. For maximum digital sampling and editing, and a simple midi keyboard. :boobs:

thanks for the reply! okay, I have Cubase LE already and I can snag those other programs as well.

What I am most concerned about though, is using these sounds that I have recorded live. How do I store them on stage and access them with my keyboard?

--------------------
https://kenaisigh.bandcamp.com/ <- Just completed the 2021 RPM challenge for February - An EP in one month (5 songs or 20 minutes). Check it out!

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7820761 - 01/01/08 05:01 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Well, you'll need a keyboard and mouse obv on stage, and it all depends on really what you're trying to do with the samples and what you are sampling. Doing stuff like that live, you'll need to be pretty sharp and efficient to cue and edit shit up like that, without it becoming noticeable. What kind of music and what are you sampling? I've seen cut chemist and some other's sample not only audio and video live and play/scratch it back to the audience.

--------------------

- Simone de Beauvoir -

OfflineSyle
Kenai Sigh
 User Gallery

#7820913 - 01/01/08 05:50 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

snoot said:
Well, you'll need a keyboard and mouse obv on stage, and it all depends on really what you're trying to do with the samples and what you are sampling. Doing stuff like that live, you'll need to be pretty sharp and efficient to cue and edit shit up like that, without it becoming noticeable. What kind of music and what are you sampling? I've seen cut chemist and some other's sample not only audio and video live and play/scratch it back to the audience.

okay, so you are talking about using a computer? is there any other way of doing it without a laptop on stage?

--------------------

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7820924 - 01/01/08 05:53 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

you'd need some kind of analog sampling hardware, and sequencer.

--------------------

- Simone de Beauvoir -

OfflineSyle
Kenai Sigh
 User Gallery

#7820982 - 01/01/08 06:08 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

like this? http://www.123dj.com/roland/sp505.html

I assume that is the sampling hardware, what would a sequencer be?

--------------------

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7821006 - 01/01/08 06:13 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

dont ever order from 123dj, you could just get one of these;
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/306979-REG/Korg_ESX1_ELECTRIBE_ESX1_Music.html

--------------------

- Simone de Beauvoir -

OfflineSyle
Kenai Sigh
 User Gallery

#7821088 - 01/01/08 06:33 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

righteous, thanks for the awesome feedback snoot, i appreciate it.

anything else you would recommend a beginning sampler? (keep in mind I am not going for drum/bass loop music, it's for texturing over the sound of the rest of the band when I am not singing, maybe also for instrumental interludes and solos and whatnot).

--------------------

Invisibleherfenara
cross dressinghobo junkie
Male

#7821421 - 01/01/08 07:58 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

itd be cool to get a 7 string with the extra string tuned really low and and split the signal so it goes to an hpf>amp and a laptop running some software that detects the low notes and triggers assigned samples. so ud basically be playing samples off the fret board :cool:

yeah not exactly simple lol

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Sampling/Keyboards in a Live setting [Re: herfenara]
    #7821443 - 01/01/08 08:03 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

yeah the ideal would be a labtop with just a simple midi controller.

--------------------

- Simone de Beauvoir -

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order