Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefungiamungi
Stranger
 User Gallery

Not so happy New Year - green mold on cakes
    #7819893 - 01/01/08 02:23 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

This would be the second flush for these cakes. The first flush turned out really well.

Clearly one of the cakes is covered in green mold and from what I've read on other posts this is not salvageable. My assumption is that I will have to ditch them. You can see in one of the pix, there is some greeen mold beginning to develop - would this cake be salvageable?

The other three cakes in the terrarium all look fine right now, but I have no idea if they have been infected as well and I am simply not seeing the obvious signs yet.

I have read something about using an H202 spray but don't know what the ratio of water to peroxide is.

Any thoughts, recommendations, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

mean_green_2.jpg][/url

Edited by fungiamungi (01/01/08 02:31 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDontPlay
Yeah Science!
Male

Loc: On Land most of the time....
Re: Not so happy New Year - green mold on cakes [Re: fungiamungi]
    #7819908 - 01/01/08 02:33 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Is that a layer of dry vermiculite, maybe thats what brought in the contam with it. Also H202 is only used for Cobwed mold, and it is already diluted when you buy it from the store hence 3% H202.

--------------------
My Trade List

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. 
    Hunter S. Thompson

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offlinefungiamungi
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Not so happy New Year - green mold on cakes [Re: DontPlay]
    #7819921 - 01/01/08 02:39 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yup, that's dry vermiculite, and I didn't toast it, so it very well could be the culprit. It's trash correct? Any thoughts, on the other cakes being contaminated by the green mold? I'm a first time grower, so this is all new to me.
I'm bummed, b/c we were doing so well initially..

Thanks for your feedback.

InvisibleDontPlay
Yeah Science!
Male

Loc: On Land most of the time....
Re: Not so happy New Year - green mold on cakes [Re: fungiamungi]
    #7819967 - 01/01/08 02:53 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah the one with green mold should have been thrown out already :P I believe it can release spores or something which could be an ugly mess down the road. Also try taking a 2 liter bottle or something and making some mini terrariums for your other cakes(search for poor mans terrarium). Add some perlite to the bottom and then watch for signs of green mold. You might want to empty out your FC then Scrub it down with rubbing alcohol.

--------------------
My Trade List

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. 
    Hunter S. Thompson

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #7819988 - 01/01/08 03:00 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Those are to be binned before they spew anymore spores everywhere, i would spray some bleach solution on the to keep the spores on the cake then dump.

I wouldn't blame the verm, its non nuitricious, mould normally wont grow on it. I suspect that the cake was already infected and it just hasn't shown itself till now once the mycelium was weaker, just a guess though.

Remember that mould mycelium is white too, when u see green, that's it sporolating.

Theres nothing much u can do apart from ditch them, clean out your fruiting chamber and get on with your next cakes (or casing should you choose to try)

You can bake verm in the oven, personaly i have not had any problems using it straight out the bag.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Invisibleim_on_a_boat
Stranger

#7819989 - 01/01/08 03:01 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

ya holy shit that's a lot of mold.

how long did you let those cakes go with that on there?

hate to say but you might have contaminated your entire work area :frown:

hope for the best dude.

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Not so happy New Year - green mold on cakes [Re: im_on_a_boat]
    #7820051 - 01/01/08 03:24 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Dispose of the cakes that show signs of green mold very carefully and keep on growing the others. Once they are all through, a good clean of the FC and surrounding areas with bleach (or bleach and vinegar even better) would be a good idea.

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

Offlinefungiamungi
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Not so happy New Year - green mold on cakes [Re: Nibin]
    #7820775 - 01/01/08 07:05 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks to everyone for their response. I appreciate it.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder