Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
This thread is very old and might contain outdated or inaccurate information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCrystal G
I'm a teapot

Loc: outer space
Caring for Peruvian Torch (Trichocereus Peruvianus) Cacti?
    #7809795 - 12/29/07 07:17 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I know this might be a no-brainer for most of you, but I am new to botanicals.... lets say I have some top cuts of this grown stuff...

How do I take care of it? What kind of soil/sand should I keep it in? What do I do if I live in an area that is not so sunny at the moment? When do I (if ever), water this?

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
InvisibleMerkin
neep.
 User Gallery

Loc: Ass Flavoured Pie Factory
Re: Caring for Peruvian Torch (Trichocereus Peruvianus) Cacti? [Re: Crystal G]
    #7809799 - 12/29/07 07:24 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Get some Cactus Mix soil for it.. If you feel like caring for it even more, get some Perlite. I find 70% cactus mix soil + 20% Perlite + 10% volcanic rock works real well..

Also, if you want cuttings to start giving out roots real fast, I find tilting them to their side inside a container filled with nothing but perlite induces rooting a million fold @_@ .. watering every time it gets dry.

After it's given roots, then you can place it inside the mixture I mentioned in the first paragraph.^^

(if you can't be assed doing that, just stick it straight into soil mix, but don't over water cuttings that haven't rooted yet.. they will do so without water :smile: )
I find just putting them straight into the ground and waiting maybe 2 weeks until watering is good.

:rockon: cacti!

--------------------
Wheels of cheese wheeels of cheeeeese!!!

InvisiblePoC
Relax
Male User Gallery

Re: Caring for Peruvian Torch (Trichocereus Peruvianus) Cacti? [Re: Merkin]
    #7809913 - 12/29/07 10:05 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I would definitely spend some time looking through peoples' different soil mixtures. Personally I hate the miracle-gro cactus mix which has all this bark and is SO slowly draining. Cacti definitely enjoy a quick draining soil. I just recently met a lady at a cactus nursery in Arizona and she raised all of her cacti in basically just pulverized granite. If you think you might overwater them you should maybe use terra cotta pots because they dry out quicker.

When you can't give them enough heat and light during the winter times they can be put into dormancy by just keeping them cool and without so much light and they won't need much, if any, water at all then.

Wish you the best of luck with your new hobby. Cacti have been very rewarding for me.

--------------------

Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte Flag
Re: Caring for Peruvian Torch (Trichocereus Peruvianus) Cacti? [Re: PoC]
    #7813103 - 12/30/07 12:41 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

It only grows fast in direct all day sun. It can handle almost any sandy soil condition.

--------------------
...or something

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies