Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleLiz
Owl Lady
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Massachusetts
RIP Maximus
    #7810629 - 12/29/07 01:59 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

I know I've been making a lot of depressed threads lately, and I apologize in advance for having to make another one :frown: 

We got our cat Maximus on April 13th of this year - I got him for my fiance as a birthday gift.  He was our first cat together.  He was immediately a great family member - loved us, loved our dogs, craved attention.  If we were busy, you could always find Maximus seeking out attention from the dogs by rubbing his head against their faces to make them lick him or nuzzle him.  He napped with them on the couch, and loved to be in whatever room we were in, or, sleeping in the clean laundry. 

Shortly after we got him we brought him to the vet for a check up and they did routine blood tests.  Unfortunately, Max was diagnosed as having FIV, which is essentially the feline equivalent of HIV.  Luckily, it can only be spread from cat to cat through deep tissue bites, so our other cats were never in danger, as Maximus was gentle.  Our vet told us that he could live a long happy life, as long as we took good care of him and treated any illness or infection with aggressive antibiotics.  She did say though, that sometimes FIV positive cats get sick out of nowhere, and sometimes it's very difficult for them to get better.

A few days ago I noticed that Maximus was acting a bit lethargic, but wasn't super concerned about it, since he was still eating and drinking.  The next day, Thursday, he was even more lethargic in the morning so I made him a vet appointment for that afternoon when I get out of work.  His gums were really pale in addition to the lethargy, so I suspected that he was anemic.  When we got to the vet she was immediately concerned, and admitted him to the hospital there.  They needed to run some blood work and see what was causing his anemia, and see how bad it was.  Well, she called about an hour later and told us that he was in fact very anemic, and to give you an idea of how bad it was, a normal cat should have a red count around 30.  If a cat is less than 20, they recommend severe measures, like a blood transfusion.  Poor Max was a 5.  Turns out, the FIV was attacking his own blood cells, and had destroyed the majority of his red cells and his platelets.  He was unable to clot, and his body wasn't getting enough oxygen.  I guess I didn't really understand initially how bad things were, because I asked her to start doing transfusions for him, and put him on steroids to get his strength back up.  She explained that that MAY work, but in reality, his body would start attacking the cells soon after he received them, and we'd be back to square one.  She told me that if this was her cat, she would make the choice to have him euthanized, because he was suffering.  We were both blown away, and devastated.  He was only 11 months old.  We had her talk to another vet there with more experience, and sadly, she said the same thing - that if we wanted to, we could pour thousands of dollars into vet bills and try transfusion after transfusion, but that ultimately, they couldn't "fix" him, and in the meantime, he would be hooked up to tubes and machines, living in a cage.  We didn't want that for him.  For the second time in 10 days, I drove to the hospital, sat in an exam room, and said goodbye to one of my animals.  I felt bitter, broken, and angry.  On the 18th, we had to euthanize our oldest ferret, Hero, and now Maximus, our oldest and dearest cat.  However, I know that it was the right choice to make, and that we had to make it for Max.  I kept his collar and it's now on my keychain, so I can think of him when I look at it.  I think about how he used to drool when you pet him, because he was so happy.  And how everyone that met him said how sweet he was. 

Just wanted to make a little thread about our boy, and let everyone know what a good boy he was :heart:

Here are some pictures of Max....

As a kitten

more recently...

So...I took yesterday off of work because I was a mess.  During the day, I noticed that our 2 other cats and our dogs were searching the house, looking for Max.  They were going to all of his typical sleeping spots and whining, looking confused.  I decided that since the adoption process can take some time, I would submit applications to a few different rescue groups in the area and wait to hear back.  I knew that max couldn't be replaced, but that having a new cat come in to the house would distract us from the lousy recent events, and also help us heal.  I know that Maximus wouldn't want us sitting home crying over him. 

Surprisingly, within an hour, I heard back from one of the groups that I emailed - they told me that I was approved, and that this morning they were holding an "adoption day" about 5 minutes from my house at a local pet store.  They showed me a list of their available cats, and I decided to go meet a few, to see if anything clicked.  I felt sort of guilty about it, like I was betraying Max by thinking about getting another one so quickly, but I decided that it was important to focus on healing, both for us and for our other pets who missed him. 

I'll be making another thread about our new arrivals (yes, plural) in a minute.  I figure they deserve their own thread, right??

--------------------
Remember, remember the fifth of November
The gunpowder treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledr_gonz

. [Re: Liz]
    #7810642 - 12/29/07 02:06 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Afghanistan Flag
Re: RIP Maximus [Re: Liz]
    #7810649 - 12/29/07 02:09 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Sorry

--------------------

Offlinesmokeydablunt
Stranger
Re: RIP Maximus [Re: dr_gonz]
    #7810654 - 12/29/07 02:11 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Sorry i know how you feel. I just lost 2 cats. One was a stray that just came runnin up to me. She lived out side but we let her in most of the day. WE cared for her for months and then she got pregnant and had to call animal control. And my brother brought in a lil kitty from his motehr. He was so mean we had to give him away. Well he could be nice to anyone. He wasnt a kat that hated everyone. He just played hard. I miss those 2 cats. Sorry about your loss. Its amazing how pets can have an impact on your life.

InvisibleLiz
Owl Lady
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: RIP Maximus [Re: smokeydablunt]
    #7810701 - 12/29/07 02:35 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

So did they die, or did you just put them back outside??  :confused:  You know, there are local programs pretty much everywhere that will spay a feral cat if you ask them to - that way she won't have litter after litter and you won't end up with a whole colony of cats outside your house.

Hella and Dr_Gonz, thank you for your kind posts.  :hug:

--------------------
Should ever be forgot.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #7810719 - 12/29/07 02:43 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

That's tragic.  Max was such a beautiful, friendly guy.  He lived the high life and I'm sure that he would want you to open your heart again to other little kitties who need a home. 

I'm so sorry Liz.  But also excited for the new arrivals on their way.  :heart:

InvisibleLiz
Owl Lady
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: RIP Maximus [Re: MOTH]
    #7810728 - 12/29/07 02:45 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Oh they're here!  You can come meet them whenever you'd like :smile:  I hope Max would approve of my choices - I bet he would.  Maya sort of reminds me of him, personality wise.  She already seems to gravitate towards the dogs and I caught her rubbing up against Lucy at one point, like he used to do.  I hope he's happy now, and not sick anymore.  Maybe he's even able to hang out with Hero and play with her.  :heart:

--------------------
Should ever be forgot.

Offlineandrewss
precariously aggrandized

Loc: ohio
    #7810739 - 12/29/07 02:50 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Sorry to hear about the loss, sounds like you/your family are quite the animal lovers :wink:

--------------------
Jesus loves you.

OfflineToddo
Stranger
Male

Re: RIP Maxims [Re: Liz]
    #7810937 - 12/29/07 04:11 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

God damn. First off, I want to say I've always really loved your posts on your animal affairs. (I know, I usually don't post a response...)

I wanted to tell you that Maxims was one of my favorite cats you posted up.  I remember that first thread introducing him. Perfect name...he almost looks like he could be wearing that Maximus helmet. 

Well, I'm sure he lived a DAMN good life and I KNOW that if he could understand, he would want another animal to help you out with healing (and help out his other friends at home.)

Good luck to you (and RIP Maxims, wherever you are.)  :heart:

--------------------
Shroomery Composition Contest

OfflineCannabischarlie
Resident badass
 User Gallery

Re: RIP Maxims [Re: Toddo]
    #7810970 - 12/29/07 04:19 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

those are such cute pictures.

--------------------
This section of the signature line has been intentionally left blank.

we could all use a little more sunshine.

:shrug: yeah, she's funny and somewhat interesting.  not a beauty queen, but not bad lookin.  i'd feel quite honored to fuck janine garofalo.
-tiny_rabid_birds

InvisibleLiz
Owl Lady
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: RIP Maxims [Re: Toddo]
    #7811015 - 12/29/07 04:30 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Toddo,

Thanks for your post - that was so sweet.  I'm glad you like our animal posts, even if you don't reply, and I'm glad you share my sentiments that Maximus was a special kitty :smile:

I know in my heart that he's happier now that he's not tired and sick.  It would have been awful to put him through all kinds of medical crap to have him lose his fight at the end of it anyways.  We miss him like crazy, but I think we'll meet again one day.

--------------------
Should ever be forgot.

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #7811260 - 12/29/07 06:04 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Sorry to hear of your loss. I treat my dogs like family and they don't talk back like my daughter.

Its cool you will open your heart to another.

:sun:

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

#7812223 - 12/30/07 12:10 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Man...this is why I don't want to get pets. It hurts so much when they pass. It is seriously worse than when people die.

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
    #7812280 - 12/30/07 12:24 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Liz said:
So did they die, or did you just put them back outside??  :confused:  You know, there are local programs pretty much everywhere that will spay a feral cat if you ask them to - that way she won't have litter after litter and you won't end up with a whole colony of cats outside your house.

Hella and Dr_Gonz, thank you for your kind posts.  :hug:

nope, not here there aren't.

around here you either pay for the spay/neuter yourself or the county will gladly kill the animal for you.  They can't be bothered to spay/neuter.

About the best you can do is get a voucher for a 30$ neuter around here, but that's just the vet fees, so you have to pay extra for the drugs.  People without money usually just let the cats multiply like fucking bacteria.  Too bad

InvisibleCherryBomM
Yoga Gypsy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Ontario
    #7812295 - 12/30/07 12:27 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Liz said:
  Maybe he's even able to hang out with Hero and play with her.  :heart:

Now there is a thought!  :heart:  How nice.

I'm sorry you've lost your furry little friends, Liz.

--------------------

Invisiblepaulie_walnuts1
Stranger

#7822107 - 01/01/08 11:38 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

UR cat were a faggot, LOL

InvisibleLiz
Owl Lady
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: RIP Maximus [Re: paulie_walnuts1]
    #7822671 - 01/02/08 05:28 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

paulie_walnuts1 said:
UR cat were a faggot, LOL

I wasn't aware a cat could be a "faggot", but thanks for enlightening us all with your infinite wisdom, as usual :rolleyes:

--------------------
Should ever be forgot.

Offlinejohnjohnandjamal
Stranger

#7822806 - 01/02/08 07:20 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

So sad, Max looked like a nice kitty!

InvisibleColonel Kurtz Ph.D
What What?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Shadow Moses
    #7822844 - 01/02/08 07:52 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

:sad:

--------------------
:whatwhat:

There's no better way to rock out than with your cock out!!

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

Loc: Solar Circuit
    #7822855 - 01/02/08 08:03 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I think you made a wise choice, Liz. Even though you are welcoming a new cat into your home, you are intending to make room for new life and potentials for joy. That's a good thing. RIP Maximus.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order