Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedamnmad
cubegrubber
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Injecting water into BRF cakes - what's the latest?
    #7793607 - 12/23/07 07:46 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Frankly, my cakes are dry. I dunked for 24, I rolled, I misted, but I also accidentally let my FC get really hot for a prolonged period. The cakes are still very much alive but becoming severely bruised (due to dehydration I think). Is it OK to inject water into BRF cakes to rehydrate as apposed to dunking again? I've read a lot on the message board but it all seems out-dated. Looking for current info. Is it a good idea or bad? BTW - the cakes were birthed 3 days ago. Thanks, guys.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleim_on_a_boat
Stranger

Re: Injecting water into BRF cakes - what's the latest? [Re: damnmad]
    #7793626 - 12/23/07 07:56 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

i dont know man sounds like you have too much stuff going on with your cakes..

make sure you have a good source of humidity like some perlite or something otherwise they will blue and not grow.

injecting water seems like too much of a risk of contams.. dont do it..

you shouldn't be having this problem if you had proper humidity..

InvisibleNlightNd1
∇Δ∇Δ∇Δ∇
Male User Gallery

Loc: Holographic Omniverse
    #7793649 - 12/23/07 08:05 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

I found this in the Magic Mushroom Growers Guide. ( Flame sterilize a 3/16 inch drill bit. Let it cool. Use it to drill a hole at the center of the cake. You can do this by hand. You do not need a drill. Do not go all the way through the cake, but drill a deep reservoir into the cake. Cut a plastic straw to 4 inches in length. Insert the straw 1/2 inch into the hole. The straw should fit tightly in the cake. Straws from McDonalds are larger than most and work well. They seal well and hold more water. Fill the straw with water daily. A 10 cc. syringe works well to fill the straws with water.) Just keep adding more water until the cake is rehydrated. I would put a longer straw into the cake and fill completely with water.

Edited by NlightNd1 (12/23/07 08:08 PM)

OfflineBlargIAmDead
Shroom Samurai
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Injecting water into BRF cakes - what's the latest? [Re: NlightNd1]
    #7794464 - 12/24/07 12:40 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah......don't do what Nlight said. Sorry Nlight :frown:. Just dunk your cakes for 8-24 hours if there are no pins. If there are pins or you don't want to move the cakes, take the cakes and sit them in dishes of water.

Invisiblelostinautumn7
Hooker With APenis
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: Injecting water into BRF cakes - what's the latest? [Re: BlargIAmDead]
    #7794588 - 12/24/07 01:33 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

BlargIAmDead said:
Yeah......don't do what Nlight said. Sorry Nlight :frown:. Just dunk your cakes for 8-24 hours if there are no pins. If there are pins or you don't want to move the cakes, take the cakes and sit them in dishes of water.

actually, look up cake resevoir posts by fahtster (the original cake god and a good personal friend of RR) if you disagree with him you are an asshole and you dont know what you are talking about. cake resevoirs are kind of like what Nlight said...he was on the right track. but leaving standing water around anywhere close to your cakes when not dunking is just a formal invitation for contams.

--------------------
"May your mycelia multiply and be fruitful."

- oxohawkoxo

the shroomery is  one hell of a community, lots of good people here, and i am damn proud to be a part of it. thanks shroomery and all shroomerites. :heart:       
                            - lostinautumn7

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Injecting water into BRF cakes - what's the latest? [Re: BlargIAmDead]
    #7794601 - 12/24/07 01:41 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

BlargIAmDead said:

Dont listen to this guy. he has 300 post and hasnt the slightest idea.
The drill bit/straw method is key for any cake. The dunk and roll doesnt add much if any moisture to the cake.
This pic has straws in them. This is the top veiw of the world famous pf tek web site pic. You can see the straw in the bottom left cake

This one has a straw in it, you just cant see it. Do not ask how I know

More straws. It works well. How else could you get a 1/4th cup of water into your cake during the fruiting cycle. These were grow with an ultrasonic so the rh was as high as it can get. The cakes will still drink water

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Injecting water into BRF cakes - what's the latest? [Re: tahoe]
    #7794606 - 12/24/07 01:44 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

damnmad, are you misting your cakes directly with water? No? Well you should be. It will help

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Injecting water into BRF cakes - what's the latest? [Re: tahoe]
    #7794872 - 12/24/07 07:39 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

There's lots of ways to hydrate a cake. Dunk and roll is my favorite method. You're actually hydrating the individual mycelium cells, so it's a good idea to push the cakes a few inches under water so there's a bit of water pressure on them. Remove after 24 to 36 hours and roll in dry verm, which is then heavily misted after being placed into the FC.

Another method is to pile up verm as deep as you can on top of the cake and keep that saturated. Another is to set the cake in a saucer of water. The straw method also works. These last methods are fine during a flush. Between flushes or prior to the first, I'd still suggest a dunk and roll. Mushroom farmers have been soaking substrates in water to rehydrate them for at least a thousand years. It's the time-proven method.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #7794875 - 12/24/07 07:46 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Is it OK to inject water into BRF cakes to rehydrate as apposed to dunking again?

Yes!~

it's called the Voodoo method.

:voodoo:

or you can do what Tahoe was talking about and drill a hole and put a drinking straw into the top of your cake.

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: Injecting water into BRF cakes - what's the latest? [Re: Roadkill]
    #7794887 - 12/24/07 07:58 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

I have done this on 2 cakes as i suspected they were drying out and i had mushrooms growing from the bottom and didnt want to soak them.

I got some decent sized fruits of those 2 cakes.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures