Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMikeOck
Style Originator
Birdseed users i need your help.. QUICK!!
    #778859 - 07/26/02 07:13 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

So billy ray went to petco today to purchase some birdseed but they had no straight up millet. So after 30 min. of looking at food (his chick was heated) he decided on a $3.99 bag of something called "flite song wild bird food" he figured what the hey its only 4 bucks. So he get the shit home and open it up only to find that all the things in it were all fucked up. Seems like the included "cracked corn" into the ingredents. here they are off of the back of the bag: milo, millet, cracked corn, sunflower, wheat, calcium carbonate, vitamin a, palmitate, cholecalciferol (source of vitamin d3). Is this shit okay? will the cracked corn and sunflower seeds make this into a gooey mess? Should my friend try it out for shits and giggles. oh btw he just dropped $99.99 on a 22qt. presto PC which is why he's itchen to do something tonight. can he make a qt jar of brf/verm? thanks all!!!!!!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
Re: Birdseed users i need your help.. QUICK!! [Re: MikeOck]
    #778936 - 07/26/02 07:49 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Hell, pick out as many sunflower seeds as you can (or just leave them) and try it. What do you have to lose other than some time?

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

Offlinebluhoney
Yes Im a realgirl ,geeesh
Female User Gallery

#779020 - 07/26/02 08:30 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Sounds like it might work, be leary of the corn though, but not having used that, my friend couldnt say for sure. Give it a shot, and let us know. bluhoney

--------------------
Information listed here is for entertainment only and is neither real or proven

OfflineShaw
hick

Loc: midwest, usa
    #779096 - 07/26/02 09:03 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

you don't want to do a quart of brf/verm. if your determined to, get some filter disks.

--------------------

OfflineMikeOck
Style Originator
Re: Birdseed users i need your help.. QUICK!! [Re: Shaw]
    #779128 - 07/26/02 09:24 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

So after this asshole posted about using a qt jar for brf/verm he checked the faq and found his answer there. what he ended up doing is making 6 pf style jars :\ hey the kid wanted to use his new PC. Anotherthing he figured was if this "cracked corn" cooked anything like regular corn then it would be the worst idea in the world to try and use it. Its mad slimy when you bite into a piece of corn. One thing he did that he doesnt think he should have was boiled a lil water in the PC before putting the jars in and the lid on. I dont know where he saw it but thats what a few ppl reccomended. He might have heard the glass crack but isnt sure. And another thing... wouldnt putting brf/verm in the hot pc cook them on the bottom? He used the rack that came with it and made the water level just a tad over it. Damn i bet he wishes he read pf tek for simple minds a little closer. Can you visually tell if the stuff is cooked? thanks again peoples..

Offlinebluhoney
Yes Im a realgirl ,geeesh
Female User Gallery

#779138 - 07/26/02 09:33 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Wow, Mike, did your pc directions say to only put a tiny bit of water in the bottom. Most racks that keep the jars off the bottom are thin. My friend usually fills her pc with water up almost halfway up the jars. You might have cracked the jars from what you said. One thing you dont find in a lot of teks is that you should keep the pressure gauge thing on top off until you get a good head of steam coming from the PC, then put it on at the 15psi setting. The reason is that you want to use wet heat, not dry heat to sterilize your jars. If you mess up, just PM me, my friend has many recipies that work, that are not complicated, and good yeilders. bluhoney

--------------------
Information listed here is for entertainment only and is neither real or proven

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: Birdseed users i need your help.. QUICK!! [Re: bluhoney]
    #779222 - 07/26/02 10:19 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Bluhoney,

The Raccoon is a relative newbie & started reading posts (many of yours & you are well respected by the Racoon) here only 7 months ago. Then shortly after started cultivating.

But, just FYI. Differing brands and/or types of PC's use or require differing amounts of water. When the Raccoon started, it was with a Presto w/rocker weights. It required more water, as it spewed out steam consistantly via the weight assembly. So, with it, I filled the water level half way up the bottom row of jars.

Next the Raccoon acquired an All American 925. It doesnt lose steam, unless you over heat it, then the pressure release vents. So, once you know the heat setting so as to NOT over heat it. 3/4 inch of water in the bottom will almost all still be there after 2 hours at 15 pounds. Simply because it doesn't spew out steam.

Next, the Racccoon acquired an AA 941. This big bucket rocks & holds steam like the 925. So, everybody has differing PC's & they require differing amounts of water to operate. Once, the Raccon stupidly answered the question of how much water is required in a PC. Without knowing the type PC, The Raccoon should have NEVER answered the question.

Without thinking, he advised that one inch is fine, because that is fine with his.

Wrong answer:

Turns out, the other guy had a rocker arm weight type & 1 inch of water would steam out in 30 minutes, fry jars & blow out the safety pressure plug.

So, there is no standard answer to how much water is required. Differing type PC's have differing water requirements. Weighted types require more. Others w/gauges, pressure releases & no weights require less.

As for a little tiny bit of whole, crushed or cracked corn in a wild birdseed mix. The Raccon gets 40 pound bulk bags from Petco for about $7. It consists of red & white millet, milo, a minor amount of sunflower seed & a tiny bit of crushed corn. With seed to seed transfers of an agressive strain, this mix will fully colonize a quart jar in 10 days. The tiny bit of corn does no harm.

The Raccoon now uses one little additive when soaking seeds that seems to speed things along. Brown Rice Sryup available at most Asian type grocery stores. Half a cup to a 20 quart of bird seed for a 12 or more hour soak. Rinse well, drain well, jar up & PC.

Bye the way. The Raccoon has followed much of your advice & always found it rock solid. SixTango

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Edited by SixTango (07/26/02 10:34 PM)

InvisibleChampion des Champignons
long standing member;)

Loc: Alba
    #779422 - 07/27/02 12:51 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I've used "mixed corn", which was a mix of whole wheat, barley, oats, rye and.....cracked corn. I worked just as well as any other grain I've used.

--------------------
---------------------------------------------------
hmmm........

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation