Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblebumble
homunculus
 User Gallery

Keystroke loggers: how to detect them?
    #7782969 - 12/20/07 07:25 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

From what Ive read they dont fall under the same category as trojan/virus so whats the likelihood of an up to date virus-prog detecting it?.

Any general tips on how to spot suspicious programs would help too. When I check processes under task manager I only recognize half of whats there

I could take a screen shot of it so more savvy ppl can look at it here assuming thats a safe idea in the first place. Thx in advance.

--------------------
progressive trance: Brian Rogers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJonnyDeformed

Male User Gallery

Loc: Directlyundertheearthssun...
Re: Keystroke loggers: how to detect them? [Re: bumble]
    #7782984 - 12/20/07 07:27 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

bumble said:
When I check processes under task manager I only recognize half of whats there

Same here... i would also like to know more about this..

--------------------

dubiousness
Dubious compound

it is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong.
A penalty for possession of a drug/plant should not be more damaging than the drug/plant itself.

Invisiblebumble
homunculus
 User Gallery

Re: Keystroke loggers: how to detect them? [Re: JonnyDeformed]
    #7783170 - 12/20/07 08:11 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

They might also rename them to other common system processes so you cant tell the difference just by looking at'em.

--------------------
progressive trance: Brian Rogers

OfflineRiboflavin
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwestish
    #7783216 - 12/20/07 08:18 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

There's also the hardware ones that are installed between the keyboard and the computer, those just require a visual inspection, not to mention if it's a cordless keyboard and someone knows how to sniff it out they could figure out what you're typing that way, I really don't know if that's been done though. :shrug:

--------------------
All that groks is God.

Offlinerodfarva
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=====-----=-=-=-=-I
Male

Re: Keystroke loggers: how to detect them? [Re: Riboflavin]
    #7783924 - 12/20/07 11:09 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

i run one and the bitch is at a random interval my anti-V spots it and quarintiens it. .. (evry other week or so) there is no way to allow it to run through the anti virus. I have a sophisticated corprate software package.

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #7784533 - 12/21/07 04:41 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

> so whats the likelihood of an up to date virus-prog detecting it?.

Slim to none unless the exploit is well known. Virus scanners detect a well known virus, but are nearly impotent when it comes to detecting a newly created virus.

Something like "hijackthis" is going to be your best tool to figure out what your system is doing, but the output can be pretty technical.

I would use a spyware scanner rather than a virus scanner to try and locate keyloggers. Again, they have the same limitations as virus scanners with respect to new types of spyware.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleCidneyIndole
www.shroomery.OG
Male User Gallery

Loc: Love's Secret Domain
    #7784641 - 12/21/07 06:36 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

bumble said:

Any general tips on how to spot suspicious programs would help too. When I check processes under task manager I only recognize half of whats there

It may not matter if you did know what most of the stuff in your task manager were. Most really good keyloggers are designed so as to not show up in the task manager at all, or to disguise themselves as a legitimate process. I've had a couple that were like this. Great for stealing online passwords of people who log onto sites from your computer. Or learning that your girlfriend is a lying whore who talks shit about you to her friends, behind your back. haha

If you want to learn what the stuff in your task manager is, go to the "processes" tab, and go down the list, typing each process name into google. Just the name, or "what is process name" and you should get hits for a number of sites that will tell you exactly what is what. (Or what it should be).

Some keyloggers might slow down your computer. Especially more advanced ones using options like screen capture, etc. Especially if your computer isn't very fast. Pay attention to your CPU%, RAM, etc.

Some of the better AV programs will detect certain keyloggers, but don't bet your security on it. Your best bet is to use several programs together. Like Norton, along with AdAware, along with Spybot, along with Super-anti-spyware. (All of those except norton are free, if you're not familiar with them.)

Your chances of catching something are far greater, when you're using several different progs, with different spyware/virus definitions.

Hijack this is great, but you can seriously fuck up your computer if you don't know what you're doing.

Good luck.

--------------------
------------------------
I am me. We are You.

Offlinerodfarva
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=====-----=-=-=-=-I
Male

Re: Keystroke loggers: how to detect them? [Re: CidneyIndole]
    #7787694 - 12/22/07 12:00 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

IMO __--_-_ these trojans are damn good and once your computer is seriously infected it cannot be trusted again no matter what quick fix you use, so format your hard drive and start over. This is the only 100 % way to know your not giving some bitch in chicago you creditcard #'s pins and all kinds of exciting bits of your identity. I've prolly been a victom and not known it. This thing is these programs might get out to 300 people from one hacker. This whiney little bitch is to lazy to get a job that pays enough so he / she decides to steal from you and your finance company. There is no way he is going to exploit every sucsessfull sucker. He will find a good one and milk it for a while then move on. Person 299 on his hard drive is pretty safe, due to lazyness and increased risk too.

--------------------

Offlineaminorex
armed to theteeth loon
Male

Loc: the 'mid-south'
Re: Keystroke loggers: how to detect them? [Re: rodfarva]
    #7788022 - 12/22/07 03:49 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

i didnt read any responses but, the only solution is unix/posix/linux distros, if you have windows or mac then youre fucked if they want you, they dont need keystroke loggers..just a RDC or VM image that youde have no fucking clue was going on

--------------------
"G.W. Bush(sr.) says 'we are losing the war on drugs'. Well you know what that implies? There's a war going on, and people on drugs are winning it! Well what does that tell you about drugs? Some smart, creative motherfuckers on that side." - Bill Hicks, RIP

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals