Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineeman113
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: il
Re: Osmotic Pressure Thresholds. [Re: Fraggin]
    #7785315 - 12/21/07 11:45 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

The only advise I could give is to try at a low pressure and increase untill the cakes start to bruise, Or wait for better advise.

If this can cut the dunk times. It would allow someone with 30 or 40 trays to dunk without trying to find room to put them. Pop 2 or 3 in a pressure vessel and clean trays while hydrating, take out to dry while the next 2 or 3 go in.its hell of an idea.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineeman113
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: il
    #7785377 - 12/21/07 12:02 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

To see if the nutrients are used you can use a e.c. Meter before and after.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Osmotic Pressure Thresholds. [Re: eman113]
    #7785400 - 12/21/07 12:08 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Osmosis through cell walls really only requires a pressure differential. It doesn't need to be much. We weigh down the cakes to submerge them, but in so doing, it also puts them under a bit of pressure, because of the weight of the water above. This pressure is more than enough to hydrate the cells over a 24 hour period. Whether increasing the pressure to shorten the time span of dunking would be good or bad remains a subject for experimentation. I've dunked substrate blocks in the very bottom of a 5 gallon bucket, and the blocks at the bottom of the bucket definitely hydrate faster than the ones near the top. I've never tried to dunk at a higher pressure than that though.

It seems I remember someone at another board a few years ago dunking in vacutainers under a vacuum, and it was much faster. I guess the theory was to draw all the air out of the cells, making it easier(less pressure inside the cell) for the water to get in. I've never tried this, so experiment away if you're inclined. Keep us posted.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Luminous beings surround me
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Aether
Trusted Cultivator
    #7785725 - 12/21/07 02:07 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

OHHHHHHHHH, I see where this is going now. Hmm. Interesting Fraggin. Let me know how it goes. Seems like a wee bit too much work for cakes. I am interested in the process though. keep us updated.

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Osmotic Pressure Thresholds. [Re: The shroomy 1]
    #7785806 - 12/21/07 02:35 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

You can paint your bedroom by flooding the room full of paint, but isn't it easier to just go at it with a paintbrush?

What I mean by this is... why? Why on earth would you want to re-hydrate your cakes under pressure? Is it that awful to have to wait for 24h?

If this is just something you want to do for the heck of it, for experimentations sake, great for you, but I really doubt it will become a standard dunking system.

It sounds quite crazy scientist like, muahahahahahaha

Anyway, water absorption through biological membranes is controlled by trans-membrane proteins called aquaporins.

There are both regulated and non regulated kinds. the absorbtion rate and resistante to osmotic pressure depends on (among others) which kinds, and in what amounts, the mycelial cell membranes contain these proteins.

But this is all under investigation atm, as it is very recent and only been discovered in the last decade.

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags