Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineVisionsToReality
RIBBONS

When spawning to bulk substrate...do you mix or layer and do you leave a layer of naked spawn ontop?
    #7599219 - 11/05/07 04:44 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

The title says it all.

Just spawned and did it in layers, ending with a layer of spawn and then a layer of substrate completely covering that spawn.

Was wondering if it'd be better to leave a layer of naked spawn ontop of the substrate as a final layer so that the mycelium could more quickly colonize the top surface of the substrate which would allow for a possibly earlier fruiting time?

--------------------
Life is one big road with lots of signs,
So when you're ridin' through the ruts,
Don't you complicate your mind.

Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy
Don't bury your thoughts,
Put your vision to reality, yeah!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecriddopher
SoulJah

Re: When spawning to bulk substrate...do you mix or layer and do you leave a layer of naked spawn on [Re: VisionsToReality]
    #7599284 - 11/05/07 05:02 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

i mix.... when layering i would leave a layer of bulk on top then cover with foil or wrap for the contams. the bulk on top will also let you know when the thing is colonized otherwise how would you tell?

OfflineVegan
using the searchbutton
Male User Gallery

Re: When spawning to bulk substrate...do you mix or layer and do you leave a layer of naked spawn on [Re: criddopher]
    #7599682 - 11/05/07 06:41 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I dont and have had 95% success rate..the 5% was totally my fault I was experimenting with some bad spawn

--------------------
I came, I saw , I came back

Invisiblelegallyhomeless
mooch
 User Gallery

Loc: EZRA for the Refuge
Re: When spawning to bulk substrate...do you mix or layer and do you leave a layer of naked spawn on [Re: Vegan]
    #7599714 - 11/05/07 06:50 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

mix mix mix.

--------------------
MY TRADE LIST!!!

FULLY AUTOMATIC!! 12-Pot Multi Grow Hydroponic System for Trade.

Download PSX ISOs

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: When spawning to bulk substrate...do you mix or layer and do you leave a layer of naked spawn on [Re: legallyhomeless]
    #7599746 - 11/05/07 06:57 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I prefer to layer, but either way works. Never leave grains on top. If you mix, always save a bit of bulk substrate for at least a 1/4" layer over the last of the spawn.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleGlacier Creek
The Chef
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: When spawning to bulk substrate...do you mix or layer and do you leave a layer of naked spawn on [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7599761 - 11/05/07 07:01 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I remember reading on one of the bulk teks here that the author kept a small amount of grain to spread over the top of the bulk substrate to colonize faster.

He said it helped to beat out contams by more quickly colonizing the new substrate. This made sense to me, but it is looking to not be the case? Anyone care to elaborate?

Im looking for the tek right now....

--------------------

Google "Earthly Info" to find my mushroom recipes. #1 baby.. yeah...

WARNING: All messages posted under this profile
are actually algorithmicly generated by an AI computer program.  No truth or actual events are being generated, and as a result cannot be investigated for thier validity.  (message 2345433)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: When spawning to bulk substrate...do you mix or layer and do you leave a layer of naked spawn on [Re: Glacier Creek]
    #7599779 - 11/05/07 07:03 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Yea, I've seen it. It's bullshit. The grains begin to dry out on top and the mycelium dies back, leaving the grains open for molds. Don't leave grains on top. It's important to be very careful with what you read here and elsewhere. There's lots of horrible advice being passed off as 'teks'.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineChi Ro
Jive Ass Turkey
Male

Loc: Right hurr!
Re: When spawning to bulk substrate...do you mix or layer and do you leave a layer of naked spawn on [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7599850 - 11/05/07 07:17 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I left grains on top on one of my bulk substrate attempts, and I cased way too early because I thought it was fully colonized. I personally wouldn't suggest it.

--------------------

OfflineVisionsToReality
RIBBONS

Re: When spawning to bulk substrate...do you mix or layer and do you leave a layer of naked spawn on [Re: Chi Ro]
    #7600210 - 11/05/07 08:35 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Oh yeah, mycelium would dry out...duhhhhh...oops

--------------------
Life is one big road with lots of signs,
So when you're ridin' through the ruts,
Don't you complicate your mind.

Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy
Don't bury your thoughts,
Put your vision to reality, yeah!

InvisibleGlacier Creek
The Chef
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #7636640 - 11/14/07 06:19 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Yea, I've seen it. It's bullshit. The grains begin to dry out on top and the mycelium dies back, leaving the grains open for molds. Don't leave grains on top. It's important to be very careful with what you read here and elsewhere. There's lots of horrible advice being passed off as 'teks'.
RR

Thanks,
That is what I was looking to find out. Not leaving grains on top for contams to take hold of sounds like the smart way to go. Considering the source, I am just going to layer from now on.

--------------------

Google "Earthly Info" to find my mushroom recipes. #1 baby.. yeah...

WARNING: All messages posted under this profile
are actually algorithmicly generated by an AI computer program.  No truth or actual events are being generated, and as a result cannot be investigated for thier validity.  (message 2345433)

InvisibleFurrowedBrow
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Re: When spawning to bulk substrate...do you mix or layer and do you leave a layer of naked spawn on [Re: Glacier Creek]
    #7636757 - 11/14/07 06:35 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Damnit! I just did a huge tub and mixed it all up. there are grains on top. not really on top but flush with the rest of the poo. I also did a few tubs with mixing. If only i had seeen this information yeseterday. Oh well, i have a lot of hope. thanks for the advice anywho.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!

I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson

Invisiblefilthydee
 User Gallery

#7784156 - 12/21/07 12:31 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

so..say someone read the wrong "tek". and laid a layer on top..
what options are there?
say you had a shoebox size tub what it you popped the sub out, flipped it upside down..placed it on a lid(or tinfoil) and fruited as a cake with the top layer being the sub..
could this minimize the negative effects of the spawn layer..
any other ideas to help if the layer is already there?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate