Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Impulse Sealer, Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

equipment questions/suggestions
    #778130 - 07/26/02 10:40 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

A few things:

At Walmart one can purchase 4ft flourescent bulbs made by GE that claim to be designed for aquariums and plants. the bulbs are blue. sound like the right thing for mushrooms?

At Bass Pro Shops one can purchase a thermoelectric cooler that is large enough to hold "77 can cokes or a lot of food". i'm not sure how this translates to jars and petri dishes but it sounds big enough to me. my question is: can these really be converted into incubators by fiddling with the thermoelectric thingy or is this bogus...and does anyone have a link or text on how to perform such a procedure?

also, at Walmart i found a rather cool power strip with a built in timer, also made by GE i think. the strip has eight 3-prong outlets, 4 of which are linked to the timer. the minimum time slot is 15 minutes.

also, if any one need any 12" heat impulse sealers i can drop them off for $80.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDinoMyc
Ipsa scientiapotestas est
Re: equipment questions/suggestions [Re: ]
    #778420 - 07/26/02 01:28 PM (15 years, 22 hours ago)

t8 or t12 lighting is overkill, generally speaking.
Some of those lights would be good, in that they might have a minor spike in the blue, however most flourescent bulbs have one huge spike in the green, and thats it. Either way, it does not matter too much, as it takes only a miniscule amount of light to trigger fruiting, if any.
Thermoelectric coolers ar banks of PN junctions and are decient at providing heat, however you may want to be careful with your control feedback. Some units are nice, in that you can set them to exact temperatures, but the diffusion of the heat throught the chamber is a concern.. Also, since you mention jars, the issue of gas exchange might be a consideration.
That strip sounds rather useful, also for other things (fishtanks, terrariums, electric shock wakeup device...etc).. what were you asking about it though?
impulse sealers.. why is 80$ a great deal? for some models it would be.
http://www.dougcare.com/packagingequipment/impulse0.htm

--------------------
If I made affront, I apologize.
If I made affirmation, I apologize.
I merely came to listen, came to say.

Offlineggordon
Stranger
Re: equipment questions/suggestions [Re: ]
    #778543 - 07/26/02 03:02 PM (15 years, 20 hours ago)

There is some good information out there on the web by people making incubators for hatching chicken and retile eggs. I found one site which uses an old fridge and they claim to be able to keep there temps to within +/- .2 degrees using light bulbs as a heat source. I know its big but you could always find an old bar fridge to use

Anonymous

Re: equipment questions/suggestions [Re: DinoMyc]
    #779177 - 07/26/02 09:54 PM (15 years, 13 hours ago)

i wasn't asking anything about the power strip. just passing on the info. i was going to hook up this 4ft flourescent bank i got for free from my work place but if light isn't such a big deal maybe i'll pass on it...

gas exchange would be facilitated by simply opening the door of the incubator i would think. right now i am incubating in a lab incubator at 30C and doing fine.

all the heat impulse sealers ive seen run in the $179 range. didn't know they came so cheap.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Impulse Sealer, Petri Dish

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology