Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblethedefone
deus ex machina

Loc: Gondwana
Re: Best PF cake substrate ingredients? [Re: Molasses]
    #7738040 - 12/09/07 08:06 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

You can get free coffee grounds from your local Starbucks. From what I understand, They have 'em all bagged up and ready, as Grounds For Your Garden, or some such thing.

--------------------

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblelostinautumn7
Hooker With APenis
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: Best PF cake substrate ingredients? [Re: Molasses]
    #7738084 - 12/09/07 08:15 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

it would probably be better to just add the grounds to your mixture instead of substituting something else for it. coffee doesn't hold water half as well as verm does. i don't know what the optimum percentage of coffee is but it works no matter how much you put in, but allot of people have nice success with 10%-20% but that is when mixed with coir, so i am also excited to see what RR has to say about it. it might be enough just to hydrate your brf mixture with the required amount of water mixed 50/50 with spent coffee grounds that is how RR (and me thanks to RR) hydrates his grains, or at least he has done it that way and recommended it, am not sure if he does this still though.

and you must use used coffee grounds because new are still WAY too acidic for myc. if you don't want to make the coffee do what i do, get your grounds from starbucks, all you have to do is ask and they are free. or just run some hot water through the grounds till you leech some of that acidity. it might also work with new grounds if you correct the Ph with a buffer but that seems like a lot of work.

--------------------
"May your mycelia multiply and be fruitful."

- oxohawkoxo

the shroomery is  one hell of a community, lots of good people here, and i am damn proud to be a part of it. thanks shroomery and all shroomerites. :heart:       
                            - lostinautumn7

Invisiblelostinautumn7
Hooker With APenis
Male User Gallery

Re: Best PF cake substrate ingredients? [Re: thedefone]
    #7738093 - 12/09/07 08:18 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

thedefone said:
You can get free coffee grounds from your local Starbucks. From what I understand, They have 'em all bagged up and ready, as Grounds For Your Garden, or some such thing.

you guys are too quick for me, darn slow typing skills and slow internet. mainly slow typing skills. haha

--------------------

- oxohawkoxo

the shroomery is  one hell of a community, lots of good people here, and i am damn proud to be a part of it. thanks shroomery and all shroomerites. :heart:       
                            - lostinautumn7

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Best PF cake substrate ingredients? [Re: lostinautumn7]
    #7739488 - 12/10/07 07:15 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Shrooms like acid substrates. The problem is that molds like it also, and they grow faster than cube mycelium.

That is why we correct the pH of bulk subs, because they will be exposed to air and contams.

If the substrate is in a jar or bag, in theory contaminate spores landing on the substrate isn't an issue so you can leave the substrate at that acid pH that the mycelium likes, and don't have to add lime.

On the other hand, unused coffee might be too acid, I son't know the pH of unsused coffee, but the slightly acid used coffee grounds are a good pH for mycelium.

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Best PF cake substrate ingredients? [Re: Nibin]
    #7739534 - 12/10/07 07:44 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

coffee doesn't hold water half as well as verm does.

Incorrect. Coffee grinds hold as much water per cup as verm.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblelostinautumn7
Hooker With APenis
Male User Gallery

Re: Best PF cake substrate ingredients? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7741094 - 12/10/07 03:02 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

really...well then its good that you were here. thanks RR! off to play with new substrate recipes then.

but does verm hold water for a longer period of time than grinds? or is that a misconception as well?

by the way, not trying to be a brown-noser but ive always wanted to thank you RR, I follow your methods and advice religiously, i would be lost without you and a few of the others around here. and i think its so cool knowing that you actually have read some of my posts! :biggrin:

--------------------

- oxohawkoxo

- lostinautumn7

Edited by lostinautumn7 (12/10/07 03:10 PM)

Offlinenicechrisman
Interdimensional space wizard
Male User Gallery

#7749977 - 12/12/07 04:05 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I think this might be a good additions to the cake archive. I don't see anything there about alternative ingredients.

--------------------
"Cosmic Love is absolutelely ruthless and highly indifferent:
it teaches its lessons whether you like/dislike them or not."

John C. Lily

Offlinenicechrisman
Interdimensional space wizard
Male User Gallery

Re: Best PF cake substrate ingredients? [Re: stcore]
    #7761349 - 12/15/07 10:29 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

So, I picked up some dark rye flour from
Bob's Red Mill. I'm not sure if I want to mix with brf, or try them separately. Wanna try rice bran too.

--------------------
"Cosmic Love is absolutelely ruthless and highly indifferent:
it teaches its lessons whether you like/dislike them or not."

John C. Lily

Invisiblelostinautumn7
Hooker With APenis
Male User Gallery

Re: Best PF cake substrate ingredients? [Re: nicechrisman]
    #7762172 - 12/15/07 03:20 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Why not try them all, I am excited to see all the different results from alternate cake substrate ingredients. My goal is to someday get an FC full of stacked non-poo cakes to outperform a poo monotub of the same size.

--------------------

- oxohawkoxo

- lostinautumn7

Offlineewikk055
token lurker.
Male

#7762917 - 12/15/07 06:59 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I don't have a feeling that there will be something as simple as poo and as affective, but it will probably be plausible to out-do a poo monotub with a quite complicated substrate.

--------------------
whatever you interpret from my posts may/may not be fictional.

Invisiblelostinautumn7
Hooker With APenis
Male User Gallery

Re: Best PF cake substrate ingredients? [Re: ewikk055]
    #7765570 - 12/16/07 01:23 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ewikk055 said:
I don't have a feeling that there will be something as simple as poo and as affective, but it will probably be plausible to out-do a poo monotub with a quite complicated substrate.

I realize that poo is the most effective "simple" (I use simple for lack of a better word) substrate, but the idea is to prove to some certain disbelievers I know that h-poo, and monotubs for that matter, are not the do-all and end-all of mushroom cultivation. I personally prefer complex substrates and casings but I am definitely not against poo, or mono tubs. I have personal experience with both and they work great, all I am out to prove is that they can be topped by an FC full of cakes, which many people I associate with are led to believe cannot be done.

--------------------

- oxohawkoxo

- lostinautumn7

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #7765590 - 12/16/07 01:29 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

The biological efficiency of cakes is way superior to that of poo, even without changing the basic pf formula.

A amount of cakes that weigh the same as the amount of poo you use, will give more fruits, but it will be a pain in the ass to have FCs for all of them.

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

Offlinedrwatson
Slacker
 User Gallery

Loc: nowhere land
    #7765605 - 12/16/07 01:37 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I've been working with steel cut oats with some success.
The newest batch is mostly all steel cut oats with less then 1 cup of verm in it.

I've got one of my previous oat experiments in the fc right now spawned to composted cow manure from lowes.

RR's video reminded me of the shroomery. I used to read up on growing here back in '98 when it was still newish and I had forgot all these years until the RR video sample on youtube. anyway. . .

Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut Oats. Or Irish Oatmeal Steel Cut Oats.
Mycelium seem to love that shit.

I've also read about Bob's Red Mill 12 grain flour being a great substitute in the PF cake but i've never tried it. I looked for it at the store but couldn't find it amongst all the other Bob Red Mill stuff.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds