Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale, Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibledr_gonz

#7755506 - 12/13/07 07:37 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledr_gonz

. [Re: dr_gonz]
    #7755528 - 12/13/07 07:41 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
Re: Christian universe + Christian Logic [Re: dr_gonz]
    #7755617 - 12/13/07 08:05 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

dr_gonz said:
For all our conceits about being the center of the universe, we live on a routine planet of a humdrum star, stuck away in an obscure corner, on an unexceptional galaxy which is one of about 100 billion galaxies. That is the fundamental fact of the universe we inhabit, and it is very good for us to understand that.  -- Dr. Carl Sagan

For as mundane as he makes the Earth/galaxy sound here, I find it quite spectacular myself.....  :smile:  :thumbup:
All of the rest of the universe as I know it is pretty spectacular too,
but seems to have far less impact on me than our little hole, here on Earth....
I am not centered anywhere other than here, that I know of....  :shrug:

>^;;^<

>^;;^<

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Offlinewyldeman007
Student
Male User Gallery

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Christian universe + Christian Logic [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #7755848 - 12/13/07 08:59 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

If life is common in the universe you're right.. We are just a worthless planet in the universe. That makes me happy tho because I'll have a career...

If life only exists on Earth or our solar system then in a way you're wrong, we are precious and I can't even quantify how amazing mankind is...

--------------------

"We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Arabia. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively exceeds the set of actual people. In the teeth of these stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here." - Richard Dawkins

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Re: Christian universe + Christian Logic [Re: wyldeman007]
    #7755895 - 12/13/07 09:09 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

wyldeman007 said:
If life is common in the universe you're right.. We are just a worthless planet in the universe. That makes me happy tho because I'll have a career...
If life only exists on Earth or our solar system then in a way you're wrong, we are precious and I can't even quantify how amazing mankind is...

Why would it make a bit of difference how we perceive how precious our lives are based on whether or not there is other life "out there"....?    :what:
I don't understand your polar opposite answer....

>^;;^<

--------------------

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Offlinewyldeman007
Student
Male User Gallery

#7756005 - 12/13/07 09:32 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

and I don't understand your one-sided thinking..

If life is unique and limited to us we're a precious fluke; a cosmic accident, endowed with the power to spread life throughout the universe, in a sense WE are god. Well in a sense at least, try to have an open mind.

I myself believe the universe is riddled with life and would quite frankly, be more amazed if we are alone. I'm not about to get all xfiles on you talking about E.T. and shit, but it's reasonable for me to think about microbes or at least viral proteins.

I was actually being sarcastic on saying 'a worthless planet' no matter what, I'll never look down on our wonderful Earth.

--------------------

"We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Arabia. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively exceeds the set of actual people. In the teeth of these stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here." - Richard Dawkins

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

#7756273 - 12/13/07 10:19 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

wyldeman007 said:
and I don't understand your one-sided thinking..
If life is unique and limited to us we're a precious fluke; a cosmic accident, endowed with the power to spread life throughout the universe, in a sense WE are god. Well in a sense at least, try to have an open mind.

I have an open mind, I just don't understand how the fact that us knowing that there is or is not other life out there makes us any less or any more than what we currently are (besides within the created delusions of the mind)....  :shrug:    Is this one sided thinking....?   

With our current technology, we aren't going to be populating anything except our Earth anytime soon, much less the universe....  Not saying that this won't change in the future, but this fact could never change just as well....  Anything within our current dreamy grasping of possibilities in manned space travel, hell, just the solar system alone is a pretty HUGE sterile place....    Past the solar system, well, it's pretty f'n cold....  :shrug:
:snow:

>^;;^<

--------------------

>^;;^<

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #7757225 - 12/14/07 04:16 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

> With our current technology, we aren't going to be populating anything except our Earth anytime soon,

We have already begun to populate earth orbit and have plans for both the moon and mars. If by soon you mean twenty years, then yes, I agree with you. If by soon you mean two hundred years, then no, I don't agree with you; I suspect we will be on both the moon and mars by then.... assuming we don't kill ourselves off first.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisibledr_gonz

. [Re: Seuss]
    #7757295 - 12/14/07 05:45 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

#7757300 - 12/14/07 05:49 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Yes I definitely agree. Im the kind of guy who wants an exorbitant amount of money to spent on NASA. I want to colonize those planets as soon as possible. I dont care at all if it fucks up our economy, if poor people stop getting welfare or Medicare. I just purely want to go there so that one day in my lifetime, I can go to those planets. Its about as selfish as it gets, but seeing as how this is my only life, I view it as a worthwhile decision. Sucks for other people though.

InvisibleSoY
I am the LizardKing
 User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere
Re: Christian universe + Christian Logic [Re: TheCow]
    #7757631 - 12/14/07 09:28 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

This thread kind of reminded me of a refreshing movie:

Dance, Monkeys, Dance  (4min)  :monkeydance:

[url=
&q=dance+monkeys+dance&total=5519&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1431038195362274085&q=dance+monkeys+dance&total=5519&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1[/url]

*edit: noted length of film so you monkeys would actually watch it!!

Edited by SoY (12/14/07 09:37 AM)

Offlineboxcarguy07
Uno
Male User Gallery

Loc: SC
Re: Christian universe + Christian Logic [Re: SoY]
    #7758339 - 12/14/07 01:06 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

I don't know what Christians you've been talking to...

Why would it matter to God whether Earth is in the center of the Universe or not? Why does it matter how big or how small it is?
Presupposing God is infinite, then not only is he infinitely big, but infinitely small too. The fact that we are but a speck of dust in the universe doesn't matter one bit.

Also, whoever said that the God was ape-like? If you're getting that from the verse in the Bible that says man was created in God's image, I never took that to mean that we look like God. I took it to mean that we are capable of the creative process, love, etc.

And perhaps some Christians believe that the earth was made only for Christians (which is ridiculous) but I think most of them would say the "kingdom of heaven" is only for Christians, which I don't believe either.

It really is our own fault for bringing all these negative stereotypes upon ourselves.

--------------------
:musicnote:Music doesn't stop at the ears when it begins at the heart.:musicnote:

:psychsplit:"Sit in reverie and watch the changing color of the waves that break upon the idle seashore of the mind."
            -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow:psychsplit:

Offlinevigilant_mind
unfazed
Male User Gallery

Loc: boco
    #7758398 - 12/14/07 01:19 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Wow. That site is the lolz.

OfflineDarkMoon21
Child In Time
Male

Loc: Vancouver, BC
Re: Christian universe + Christian Logic [Re: vigilant_mind]
    #7758655 - 12/14/07 02:32 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Maybe your brainwashed by all the anti-christian phenomenon,
Everybody hates and ridicules christianity as a whole, but it's only a select few that fucked it up, there are goofs in every religion, 'tis the folly of mortal man.
It's just because Christianity is arguably the best known and most studied with the best recorded history that they are the easiest target.
Quit trying to seem like your doing something revolutionary by insulting the religion, it's origins where as honest and modest as buddhism or Sikhism, they just went about it in a different way and some people got mislead in the process, but can we not say that the thousands of 'freedom fighters' dying for their various gods every day have not been mislead and decieved by their respective dieties/religious figureheads?

Just because someone doesn't thoroughly hate christianity and actually knows what is says in the bible and takes it for what it is, a book of metaphors, doesn't mean their brainwashed.
Get off your highhorse and stop being such an ignorant fool.

Edited by DarkMoon21 (12/14/07 02:38 PM)

Invisibledr_gonz

. [Re: DarkMoon21]
    #7758678 - 12/14/07 02:37 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

OfflineDarkMoon21
Child In Time
Male

#7758696 - 12/14/07 02:43 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Maturity at it's best:handth:

--------------------
-=-Never Sigh For Better World
It's Already Composed
Played And Told-=-

Science gives a consistent how with an incomplete why.
Faith gives an inconsistent how with a complete why.

Offlinewyldeman007
Student
Male User Gallery

#7758779 - 12/14/07 03:05 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

I'm done using synonyms to repeat myself.. so either respect my opinion or don't.. now, on to other issues.

Switching gears, talking about Christians, I was one..

Now I like designating myself as agnostic, Christians are too damn brain washed! you're right.

Christianity over all is the worst, not because of it's popularity or narrow views, but its lack of tolerance. Someone whose religion is based on the bible will say you're going to hell if you don't believe in god. Everyone who isn't a part of this small population is going to hell apparently.

I don't really believe in eternal damnation so that fact doesn't bug me, but when a Christian says to me "you're going to hell", I interpret it as "FUCK YOU non Christian" which is extremely rude if you ask me.

That's why people "pick on" the Christians, they're the only religious organization who will openly bash communities.

--------------------

OfflineDarkMoon21
Child In Time
Male

#7758827 - 12/14/07 03:17 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

wyldeman007 said:
I'm done using synonyms to repeat myself.. so either respect my opinion or don't.. now, on to other issues.

Switching gears, talking about Christians, I was one..

Now I like designating myself as agnostic, Christians are too damn brain washed! you're right.

Christianity over all is the worst, not because of it's popularity or narrow views, but its lack of tolerance. Someone whose religion is based on the bible will say you're going to hell if you don't believe in god. Everyone who isn't a part of this small population is going to hell apparently.

I don't really believe in eternal damnation so that fact doesn't bug me, but when a Christian says to me "you're going to hell", I interpret it as "FUCK YOU non Christian" which is extremely rude if you ask me.

That's why people "pick on" the Christians, they're the only religious organization who will openly bash communities.

I'm sorry, but I've never met a christian that tells me I'm going to hell if I don't believe in god.

In fact, a few years back, I used to be very VERY anti-religious in an offensive, immature, and downright insulting way. I would walk up to a local church with some friends drunk out of my face and insult them, argue with them, and generally just be a dick. The worst I ever got where some really poor arguments and (on a few occasions) offers of cookies and juice.
All of the christians I've met are very tolerant and kind, loving people.
As I said earlier, it's the select few that are put in the spotlight that are ruining it for everyone else. The vast majority of christians are good natured people. After those incidents I thought..."hey, all this anti-christian propaganda is a load of shit, their beliefs may be wack, but who am I do judge? Their nice people, and I can't fault them for that."

There are certain sects of christianity that are very misled and very vocal about their ignorant and ridiculous beliefs, but they are the minority, whether you want to admit it or not.

Besides, actively hating such a large group of people is a tremendous waste of energy that we would all be much better off putting towards better things.

--------------------
-=-Never Sigh For Better World
It's Already Composed
Played And Told-=-

Science gives a consistent how with an incomplete why.
Faith gives an inconsistent how with a complete why.

Edited by DarkMoon21 (12/14/07 03:22 PM)

OfflineWalter1496211
Window Washer
Male User Gallery

#7758831 - 12/14/07 03:18 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

I can understand your frustration about the Christian religion..Basing your opinion about a religion based on how it works for others can do both things for you it can give you an idea of who you are going to become if you join or it can also give you and idea of what you should not become. Any religion works for you through your interpretation and your adherence to its principles. So if you believe in the reality of Christianity you would never tell anyone that they are going to hell.. After all there is not one scripture that I can think of that Jesus said to another man that they would be going to hell. On the contrary he told many that they would be going to heaven including the thief who died beside him. And also in my opinion the existence of our vast universe is further evidence to me of a divine orchestrator.

--------------------
you see the world through the window of your experience

Invisibledr_gonz

. [Re: DarkMoon21]
    #7759019 - 12/14/07 04:12 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale, Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale